TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad
#1 Parent Magister - 2012-06-08
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad

The "your son can wait until he's an adult" claim by the Chinese authorities is giving me serious cause for concern. I was planning on waiting a few years until returning to the UK and at that point changing my childs nationality (gaining British citizenship & cancelling Chinese citizenship). I was under no illusion that the process would be particularly easy or efficient but i assumed as the legal guardian of the child it'd be my choice as to my child's nationality.

I'm going to get in contact with the British Embassy to see what their take on the situation is regards such a claim and possibly even feel out the authorities in my wife's hukou area as to what their attitude might be towards any future application for relinquishing Chinese citizenship.

I'll let you know if i get any answers.

#2 Parent foxy - 2012-06-08

When me and my wife registered our marriage we had to do so outside her hukou area because the local authorities there were unable to deal with a mixed nationality marriage.

I'm not surprised at all by what you have said. There could be major changes to the visa regulations some time this year, but I doubt very much the procedures will become more simplified and fairer to foreigners. However, let's wait and see!

#3 Parent englishgibson - 2012-06-08

CL, the incompetence and/or face saving are possible with the Chinese officials in my case; however, I somehow doubt it this time. We got married in my wife's residence (hukou) area, and then we dealt with officials there as well. The Chinese Consulate in Hong Kong confirmed the ambiguous claim that "my son can wait and make his decision until he is an adult".

My son and I are planning to travel to Canada, and so I'd love to know whether any family in similar situations has applied for a visa outside the kid's place of birth and in his/her parent's homeland. For us, being refused a Chinese visa in Toronto wouldn't be the worst thing that'd happen to my son, although it'd mean that he'd have to use the Chinese "Travel Document" and a lot of red tape out of mainland China then.

Cheers and beers

#4 Parent Magister - 2012-06-07

In which case I can see why you'd be worried. He's basically caught in some bureaucratic limbo.

When you say that you've been told you should wait until your child reaches adulthood, How far up the food chain have you gone to be told this? I guess you've been dealing with the authorities in your wife's hukou area. If this is smaller town or city then have you tried taking it to the provincial capital or further still to Beijing. Certainly the British embassy claims that the Beijing authorities can carry out the process of relinquishing Chinese citizenship regardless of your wife's hukou area. When me and my wife registered our marriage we had to do so outside her hukou area because the local authorities there were unable to deal with a mixed nationality marriage. Is it possible that you're being told "no" is more like "I don't know" by a few officials who don't have experience of dealing with such a situation and are just trying to save time and face?

#5 Parent englishgibson - 2012-06-07

Magister, the authorities are saying that he can give up the Chinese citizenship when he is an adult. Another words, we are supposed to wait for our son to grow in an ambiguity if we wish to stay on mainland China until then.

Cheers and beers

#6 Parent San Migs - 2012-06-07

@ Magister:

The link below is perhaps relevant to this discussion.

http://www.chinasmack.com/2012/pictures/foreigners-to-become-chinas-migrant-workers-in-the-future.html

If we (as FT's) classify as migrant workers, surely we should get an id card of some kind? One wonders.....

#7 Parent Magister - 2012-06-07

My family hasn’t been to Canada, since my son was born, although he has become a Canadian citizen. After visiting Hong Kong, to which my wife had to get permission for my son from a local mainland Police, my son carries cross border stamps in his Canadian passport as well as in his Chinese “Travel Document” issued by People’s Republic of China office in Hong Kong. My wife and I have been told that our son is considered Chinese and he can make his own decision when he is an adult.

My Chinese wife and i are expecting our first child in August. As i understand it, the child will automatically be considered a Chinese citizen given that it'll be born in China and has at least 1 Chinese parent. You say that your child holds Canadian Citizenship. Does that mean your child (who will also have been considered Chinese at birth) has had his Chinese citizenship relinquished? From the Chinese perspective you are either Chinese or not i.e. the Chinese authorities don't recognise dual nationality even though Canada and most other Western countries do.

#8 Parent San Migs - 2012-06-07

Cheers and beers

Still enjoying those beers, englishgibson?

I'd imagine it's not easy having a mixed child in China, where nationality is only conferred on purity (and where did that leave all the brits and gurkhas who were born and lived in HK all their lives, not to mention perhaps russians born in china?).

good luck man
SMGS

#9 Parent englishgibson - 2012-06-07

I am sorry but this below was my whole post on the topic. Perhaps, I have missed the first paragraph when copying it off my saved document.

I’ve been in China for more than a decade, I am married to a Chinese for half a decade, and I have a four-year-old son born in the country. A local PSB has told me the permanent residency, which is available according to the Chinese regulations, isn’t currently procurable. The good news is that I can tell my Chinese family that with a drop of blood and some other appropriate documentation I still can obtain either one year spousal or work residency.

My son’s existence raises another concern as my wife hasn’t been able to get him a local residency document called “hukou” on mainland China which is due to not being able to produce a document of sterility that local doctors issue after placing a contraceptive ring in a mother or after accepting a bribe. My family hasn’t been to Canada, since my son was born, although he has become a Canadian citizen. After visiting Hong Kong, to which my wife had to get permission for my son from a local mainland Police, my son carries cross border stamps in his Canadian passport as well as in his Chinese “Travel Document” issued by People’s Republic of China office in Hong Kong. My wife and I have been told that our son is considered Chinese and he can make his own decision when he is an adult.

Recent police checks in cities of Shanghai and Beijing have further caused me an anxiety over my son’s legitimate documentation as a Chinese or Canadian. He has neither a visa in his Canadian passport which the Hong Kong’s People’s Republic of China office refused to provide directing us back to Canada, nor does he have the Chinese residency document which legit kids in the country hold. I am intrigued by the situation and a possible police request of documents from my son.

Moreover, my stress level goes up, when I am thinking about my return to Canada and applying for my son’s visa back to China there, or when I am contemplating about my son’s education on mainland China where it is more difficult without a local residency to enroll kids into public schools. Coming back to China on a Chinese “Travel Document” may not be as painful as being asked for horrendous educational fees or even being turned down by Chinese schools.

I would be interested to know how foreign teachers’ families live around the world and that especially with respect to the issues I have raised above.

Cheers and beers

englishgibson - 2012-06-06
Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad

My son’s existence raises another concern as my wife hasn’t been able to get him a local residency document called “hukou” on mainland China which is due to not being able to produce a document of sterility that local doctors issue after placing a contraceptive ring in a mother or after accepting a bribe. My family hasn’t been to Canada, since my son was born, although he has become a Canadian citizen. After visiting Hong Kong, to which my wife had to get permission for my son from a local mainland Police, my son carries cross border stamps in his Canadian passport as well as in his Chinese “Travel Document” issued by People’s Republic of China office in Hong Kong. My wife and I have been told that our son is considered Chinese and he can make his own decision when he is an adult.

Recent police checks in cities of Shanghai and Beijing have further caused me an anxiety over my son’s legitimate documentation as a Chinese or Canadian. He has neither a visa in his Canadian passport which the Hong Kong’s People’s Republic of China office refused to provide directing us back to Canada, nor does he have the Chinese residency document which legit kids in the country hold. I am intrigued by the situation and a possible police request of documents from my son.

Moreover, my stress level goes up, when I am thinking about my return to Canada and applying for my son’s visa back to China there, or when I am contemplating about my son’s education on mainland China where it is more difficult without a local residency to enroll kids into public schools. Coming back to China on a Chinese “Travel Document” may not be as painful as being asked for horrendous educational fees or even being turned down by Chinese schools.

I would be interested to know how foreign teachers’ families live around the world and that especially with respect to the issues I have raised above.

Cheers and beers

Return to Index › Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad

Go to another board -