TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: More Red Bull
#1 Parent juanisaac - 2012-06-23
Re: More Red Bull

Guangdong is doing a good thing to have background checks, and so is Inner Mongolia. But, here in Jiangsu, as in so many other provinces in China, it is not done. I know a few FTs here who even make both Chinese and foreigners cringe with some of their antics. So while some provinces are comming up to the times, the others are not.

#2 Parent San Migs - 2012-06-23

A check of credentials, a police background check, etc., etc....

Provinces like Inner Mongolia actually already do a criminal clearance check. South Korea also requires this from what I hear, and the last time I was in the visa office in Hong Kong, lots of FT's from Guangdong were headed home because of a change in policy which required them to prove no criminal record, so they had to head home to get their clearance from the police to satisfy the new regs.

#3 Parent Magister - 2012-06-23

It's a good point.

A while back when i was studying at uni, i worked various part-time catering jobs to earn a bit of extra cash. One of the jobs was effectively being a dinner lady in a fancy private secondary school. I had no different contact with the students but as it was a school in the UK i still needed a criminal/background check to scrub their pans.

Compare that to China and i could walk into any school and teach young learners no questions asked.

There must be a balance between the two somewhere

#4 Parent juanisaac - 2012-06-22

For a few foreign teachers in China, this "courtesy" of not checking and believing at face value is what gets some of them their employment.
Then again, if a strict policy of checking resulted where would it end? A check of credentials, a police background check, etc., etc....

Return to Index › Re: More Red Bull

Go to another board -