TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › non native EFL-teacher? - ESL discussion
#1 Parent Ferdinand - 2005-06-28
The "bar code" issue - ESL discussion

So much talk about these bar codes in a passport (Mic & Rheno),it's really no problem getting it done if you are that desperate in having it faked.All it does is to make your passport a "machine readable passport" at the port of exit/entry of your country of departure and destination.

I am not a pro-fake passport usage anyway and I don't think teaching is for me either,the codes are functions of simple data like your date of birth,sex,name,country etc.There is no magic behind it,it's all calculations based on the aforementioned.

Talking about non-native EFL tutors,I think it's more pronounced in Asia and it also goes with your colour.In the US,a melting point of races,you can see all human colours available on earth teaching or working,the more reason a country like that is leading in all spheres of life.If you are a graduate of a language genuinely,your country of origin shouldn't make you unfit to be that language teacher or does it means non-natives taught by native speakers can't qualify to be a teacher of the language learnt?

PENALTY FOR USING FAKE PASSPORT:
Guess must vary from one country to another but can't be less than a prison term,therefore BEWARE,be your self as you are as BIG as you FEEL! Opportunities abound near you. :b

#2 Parent Doc - 2005-06-18
the difference.. - ESL discussion

Did I say I was teaching basic English to children? I don't think so. I am still teaching at a university - very advanced postgraduate students and only content courses (eg literature, critical theory)

I was a Prof. of English who taught ESL students at my original university, but only after sufficiently large numbers of International students began to enrol in the university where I taught. This took a while because it was a very toffee-nosed ( read exclusive,expensive) university. It was also a very conservative institution which was why I was bored.

It was because I began to spend more time working with the International students that I made the decision to work overseas

#3 Parent Jamila - 2005-06-08
How can i get this fake passport. - ESL discussion

Hi all,
Your dissusions have arouse my interest in this fake passport thing. It seems so easy to get.
Who can tell me how to get one..
This is no joke.

#4 Parent Mic - 2005-06-04
what's the difference... - ESL discussion

So you enjoy teaching children basic English, instead of teaching adults advanced English????

I prefer working at the university.

Maybe because the University you taught at was boring, so your job was boring.

Also, you can be a Prof. of English, and teach ESL at the University or college, you are not limited......

#5 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-06-04
Tell me another one - ESL discussion

Your replies are awesome, to say the least. I'm having fun reading your retorts. Keep them coming, please. It's good to get a good guffaw in each day.

You say in your reply to Lily:

But, if you really want the ESL job, then you can either take the low paying jobs, try to lie about your background(but they will check your passport), get a passport from England, USA, Canada, NZ, or AU.

THEN you tell me:

"No one ever told her to get a fake." AND

"I don't recommend using fake anything"

Lily's lying would be her passing herself off as a 'fake', dude. What the hell is the matter with you?
I'm not here to police anything or anyone, bee-yatch. I just want people to come clean and give me TRUE info--you know, the kind of info where I don't have to look over my shoulder very five minutes wondering if the cops are finally on me.

RT

#6 Parent Doc - 2005-06-03
Professor of English?..bored to sobs - ESL discussion

I loved this bit:

"If you want to teach English and you love English, why not become a Professor of English and work in one of the Universities in your own country. Now, that is a real career."

I was a Professor of English in a university in my own country for 15 years and I was bored to sobs.

Now I am an ESL teacher and having much more fun.
(I admit though that I did not return my superannuation fund)

#7 Parent Mic - 2005-06-03
no one ever said.... - ESL discussion

No one ever told her to get a fake. You assumed. I only stated the facts, because she asked.

I hope a person whom has a fake passport would be smart enough not to use it in the same country (for example, a USA passport, don't use in the USA), most people are smart enough to figure that out, that goes without saying.

The "special codes" you refer to, we call them, bar codes, they are nothing new. Many things use bar codes, it is not a new invention or anything.

Yes, she asked about a non-native teaching ESL. Since most of the ESL jobs are not in the USA, you can assume she will use it abroad. Most likely an Asian country.

I don't recommend using fake anything. But, some people are desperate and must depending on the circumstances.

Now, you on the other hand, are very nosey and critical of others. I thought this was an ESL website, didn't know there were police monitoring it.

Again, US laws don't have jurisdiction outside of the USA. It is that simple. Just ask the ESL teachers in the Netherlands.

#8 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-06-03
I'm glad you got the info from her....I didn't - ESL discussion

In Lily's post, she made no indication of where she's from. At least I didn't get that info from her post. Maybe you did. Is she currently living in the US, CAN, NZ, UK, or AUS, or some other country? Again we don't know.

Many passports today have special codes at the bottom to help twart users of fakes. I'd be willing to bet that most western countries, especially those you mentioned in your original retort to Lily, have strict laws prohibiting the use of fakes.
I'm almost certain that if one tried to come into the US or leave the US using a 'fake' UK, NZ, or Australian passport and he was 'discovered', he'd be going to jail in a hurry.

I wouldn't use a fake from any of the countries you mentioned to go to ANY country that is an ally of the USA. If you want to go to China, Iran, Syria, Lybia,Venezeula, or North Korea on a fake US passport, do it up. I'm sure you'd be fine. Try to go to Japan on the same fake, and you're asking for big trouble.

Fake TESOL certificate, sure. Fake passport....no way. It's too risky and the penalties too stiff.

RT

#9 Parent Mic - 2005-06-02
well...no - ESL discussion

Well, I am not advising her to do either. She can get it legally or illegally, that is her choice.

But, your statement is wrong, how will US laws apply to her when she is not living or working in the USA and if she is not a real US citizen???

She doesn't have to get a US passport, in fact, it is probably better to get a UK passport or Australian.

US laws only have jurisdiction over their own country and citizens.... at least that is how it works in the present time.

#10 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-06-01
ARE YOU ADVISING SOMEONE TO GET A FAKE PASSPORT? - ESL discussion

I'm intrigued by this statement, Mic:

"get a passport from England, USA, Canada, NZ, or AU"

Mic, are you advising Lily to get a fake passport? I'm unclear on your advice to her.

I assume you are talking about her getting citizenship in a country like the US or Canada in order to get access to a REAL passport. In other words, doing it the legal way. That's the way Lily should go, I agree, if that is the case.

A word of warning to users of fake passports: You are risking a lot in this day and age if you use one.

Using a fake US passport is a major felony. The right-wing administration that is currently inhabiting the White House in D.C. has established stiff penalties for users of fakes, especially after 9/11.

I wouldn't advise anyone to use a fake passport EVER. THAT is a dangerous thing to try. We're talking a major fine and long prison time.

Don't do it.

#11 Parent Mic - 2005-06-01
doesn't matter - ESL discussion

You will not be paid as high and your won't find as many job opportunities.

CELTA is required to teach in most European countries, but is just considered another teaching certificate in Asia.

Why is ESL teaching your dream? Most of the people whom teach ESL don't dream about it, it is just a temporary job. It is not easy to be a career ESL teacher, not enough money, no benifits like medical or retirement plans.

If you want to teach English and you love English, why not become a Professor of English and work in one of the Universities in your own country. Now, that is a real career.

But, if you really want the ESL job, then you can either take the low paying jobs, try to lie about your background(but they will check your passport), get a passport from England, USA, Canada, NZ, or AU.

lily - 2005-05-31
non native EFL-teacher? - ESL discussion

I've been planning for a long time on taking the CELTA-course as I love the English language and teaching is something that interests me. However, after looking at some websites it seems schools around the world couldn't care less if you're certified or not as they're only looking for native speakers. So should I just give up my dream before even trying? Or lie(people often mistake my accent for a canadian one)? Could anyone give me some advice? cheers

Return to Index › non native EFL-teacher? - ESL discussion

Go to another board -