TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad
#1 Parent San Migs - 2012-07-14
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad

Thanks for the reply Foxy.

I have included my email in this posting.

And yes, you are right about the UK, it is bad, although perhaps not as bad as Spain, where I am currently visiting relatives.

Big protests in Madrid yesterday, this article says it all:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2172339/Airports-seen-plane-ghost-towns-luxury-flats-The-hubris-Spains-descent-anarchy.html?ITO=1490

cheers and beers on,
San Migs

#2 Parent foxy - 2012-07-13

Employment prospects for many of the unemployed in Blighty continue to be bleak, and the outlook for the foreseeable future isn't good. Besides, many jobs in the UK are not worth applying for - the pay is crap and the hours are long.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/anniversary-of-the-tottenham-riots/4121876

Might I suggest you provide an e-mail address when you post again. Then we can e-mail you any good job introductions we've received by e-mail, but which we don't wish to follow up, for whatever reason. Anything through an agent or a middleman will not be sent to you. In this way, other readers won't be able to apply, which, if they were able to do so, might well lessen your prospects of getting a job whose details have initially been provided by other board readers, which you have subseqeuntly applied for.
It might be an idea to tell us in advance the lower limit of the monthly salary you would accept, so we won't send you jobs you'd refrain from applying for. I assume it's public sector only, and no kindergartens/junior middle schools.
I have three good direct job introductions, the pay is relatively high, which I can't pursue for family reasons. I'd e-mail them to you if I could!

#3 Parent San Migs - 2012-07-13

I'd have a job and survive in Canada. My option is based on my wife that's a local who has sisters and an ailing mother, and my son (born in China). I really don't think it is necessary to get into details about my reasons here, is it?

Sorry, just curious. I just recall your past fears and troubles, but yes, you are right, not necessary to go into details.

Cheers and beers to answering on:)

#4 Parent englishgibson - 2012-07-13

San Migs, the questions are about how foreigners deal with their lives abroad, not at home. To satisfy your curiosity, which you expressed in your "question", I'd have a job and survive in Canada. My option is based on my wife that's a local who has sisters and an ailing mother, and my son (born in China). I really don't think it is necessary to get into details about my reasons here, is it?

Now, why don't you tell us a little bit about yourself, San Migs

Cheers and beers to assumptions of how capable we are :)

#5 Parent San Migs - 2012-07-13

Many Chinese employers prefer applications for posts from foreigners on the mainland as opposed to those in their homelands, that's for sure!

There is truth in that fact. I was in China until the end of June, but my visa expired and a family problem arose at the same time. So I transitted through HK, and am now back. Without an MA and or PGCE esl teaching is not a career in the UK, alas.

So yes, China is still on the cards. I just don't want to deal with agents or middlemen recruiters.

If people could post good jobs (no autonomous regions thanks!) I would be immensely grateful!

Regards
SMGS

#6 Parent foxy - 2012-07-12

My wife has just re-inquired and a Guangdong office has suggested an application to renounce her and my son's citizenship. As this was done by phone and as my wife omitted some, to me important, questions, we are contemplating a follow-up.

Your post gives me the impression it's not a difficult task for Chinese folks with Western spouses and mixed offspring to renounce their citizenship, But in contrast, it's very very hard for Western folks with Chinese spouses to obtain Chinese nationality, not that many of us would want to.
Cheers and beers to those policy initiators who obviously appreciate the presence of westerners in their honourable, though not internaqtionally honoured, country!

#7 Parent foxy - 2012-07-13

It may be better to stay in China, trust me, as I am unemployed in the UK right now! Thankfully, I am single!

Unlike many other British citizens who have no option but to depend on the state, you have other options, one of them is EFL in China or elsewhere. If you wish to increase your income, you can always return to China. I'm in China at present, and have had some very promising responses to my recent jobseeking attempt! But you'll likely need to come up with the cash to buy your air ticket first if it's a new post in China you eventually seek.
It's worth adding that it's definitely an advantage to be here in China already if one is seeking a teaching post here. Many Chinese employers prefer applications for posts from foreigners on the mainland as opposed to those in their homelands, that's for sure!

#8 Parent San Migs - 2012-07-12

The question may remain Englishgibson, how will your support your family back in Canada?

Do you have QTS in your home country, because teaching english may not be an option.

It may be better to stay in China, trust me, as I am unemployed in the UK right now! Thankfully, I am single!

Cheers and summer beers on!

#9 Parent englishgibson - 2012-07-12

It's really sad you've been told you can't choose your child's future. My wife has just re-inquired and a Guangdong office has suggested an application to renounce her and my son's citizenship. As this was done by phone and as my wife omitted some, to me important, questions, we are contemplating a follow-up. I'll let the board know later whether there in fact is an application (for under aged) and what it all takes to give up the honorable Chinese citizenship.

Cheers and beers

#10 Parent Magister - 2012-07-11

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. The smaller city i live in isn't able to deal with requests of this nature and it wasn't until this week that i went to the provincial capital for a wedding that i had that opportunity to visit the relevant office.

The results were disappointing. As with your own experience the officials stated that my son should be 18years old and able to make the decision regarding giving up their Chinese nationality themselves. I've also spoken to a Chinese couple i know who are emigrating to Canada in the near future with their son (5years old) and he too will not be able to cancel his Chinese citizenship until he reaches adulthood.

I'm still awaiting a reply from the British Embassy on the matter.

#11 Parent englishgibson - 2012-06-08

Thank you all. Magister, I'll wait for your reply. Sorry CL I confused you for another poster.
Cheers and beers

Return to Index › Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad

Go to another board -