TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad
#1 Parent foxy - 2012-07-17
Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad

Also avoid all private schools that are run in part or in full by Westerners or by Chinese with Western passports. They're too streetwise re education.
Just curious about what you mean as too streetwise re education? Do you mean too stern regarding the FT's teaching methods?

What I mean is they know how things work in China in the field of education. If a foreign teacher works for them, he can expect two things - to have to work too hard for his pay, Western DOS types. and Chinese private school owners who,ve been abroad are the scum of the earth, they will be dishonest, greedy and will treat foreign teachers like lackeys in every way.
Backwater private schools run by Chinese are a better option, but the public schools/colleges/universities are the best choice by far, especially those in small places.

Though education in China is a joke, Being a foreign teacher in China is great for those of us who prefer doing little work for a reasonable pay provided that we exercise great caution as regards choosing our employers. No point to travel so far from our homelands to teach only to result in being sent packing in disgrace!
The problem is without standards it will continue to remain a joke, nothing will ever change in that regard. And yes coming all the way to China without paid airfare does make it less worthwhile!

I'm thinking especially of the non-uniformity of standards of assessment of teachers by assessors that are unqualified to do their jobs. You can be fired quickly by one employer in China, but at the next place your teaching can be considered good!
Of course, if you have a bad release letter, you can visit one of those backstreet EP shops. They will copy the letter on their PC. You can rewrite it, and they will re-stamp it with a copy of the original stamp., Adobe Workshop or sth like that is what they use to do it. They do it regularly for Chinese business people, so they can do a great job. I suppose they'd do an excellent
fake degree too!

#2 Parent San Migs - 2012-07-17

Interesting post, foxy, would like to dissect it if I may?

Generally speaking, I agree with you. However, there are certain 'schools' in China that we should try to avoid working for. Avoid all training centers, you won't get an easy time there - you'll have to justify your presence by making money for your Chinese/foreign bosses, and have to break sweat to do so.

True. While I am not afraid of "breaking a sweat" I am loathe to do it to make a Chinese boss who knows nothing about education rich. Traning centers also have no problem in letting FT's go when they see fit, it is not a two way street.

Also avoid all private schools that are run in part or in full by Westerners or by Chinese with Western passports. They're too strretwise re education.

I'd agree that some of these western/chinese co-operative schools are not good news. Heard nothing but bad news about them. Just curious about what you mean as too streetwise re education? Do you mean too stern regarding the FT's teaching methods?

Backwater private schools run by Chinese are a better option, but the public schools/colleges/universities are the best choice by far, especially those in small places.

I would agree. I just finished a public middle school gig, which despite the disgusting accomodation was actually very cushy and in a nice small town with friendly folk.

Though education in China is a joke, Being a foreign teacher in China is great for those of us who prefer doing little work for a reasonable pay provided that we exercise great caution as regards choosing our employers. No point to travel so far from our homelands to teach only to result in being sent packing in disgrace!

The problem is without standards it will continue to remain a joke, nothing will ever change in that regard. And yes coming all the way to China without paid airfare does make it less worthwhile!

Regards
SMGS

#3 Parent foxy - 2012-07-15

A good looking FT will always get a job in China, regardless of "qualifications". We always need to keep the following phrase in mind: "It is just China". Education in China is nohing but a joke, and teaching in China should never be taken seriously.

Generally speaking, I agree with you. However, there are certain 'schools' in China that we should try to avoid working for. Avoid all training centers, you won't get an easy time there - you'll have to justify your presence by making money for your Chinese/foreign bosses, and have to break sweat to do so. Also avoid all private schools that are run in part or in full by Westerners or by Chinese with Western passports. They're too strretwise re education. It's the same there as in the first category I've mentioned, not so good.

#4 Parent Maxi - 2012-07-15

Have to agree with that. Just tell some Chinese school any BS, they always tell lies and speak crap themselves anyway.

A good looking FT will always get a job in China, regardless of "qualifications". We always need to keep the following phrase in mind: "It is just China". Education in China is nohing but a joke, and teaching in China should never be taken seriously.

#5 Parent foxy - 2012-07-14

He needn't tell them he's jobless. They are too lazy to check, anyways. He can 'invent' a job on his cv. But you're right about them taking advantage if they knew about him being out of work back home.
Though China is unsuitable for real professors as a rule as regards satisfying employment, it's a good alternative employment-wise for Mr Average who's been twiddling his thumbs out of work in his homeland. You see, everything is relative. That said, it's a fact that many Westerners find it hard to adjust to the different culture here, but I'd imagine that folk out of work back home for long periods would have fewer problems adjusting to that and the inevitable boredom here. I reckon that lazy folk might be very well-suited to teaching oral at an average senior high school over here. Western losers can acquire an elevated, though undeserved, status here on account of their Western looks, especially out in the sticks, where they are thin on the ground.

Return to Index › Re: Foreign Teachers' Families and Life Abroad

Go to another board -