TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Hong Kong teachers who are cheated - ESL discussion
#1 Parent FF - 2005-06-11
Get a life Mike!!! - ESL discussion

Get a life Mike! If you're an English reporter in HK, why don't you work on a story about foreign reporters who are either paid less than what they were originally promised -- or reporters who are forced to accept grueling work conditions/hours/pay because they don't have the right credentials -- even though they're otherwise perfectly qualified

#2 Parent Elephant - 2005-06-01
Your sources would have no credibility - ESL discussion

The problem with this article you're doing is your sources would have no credibility. This means the article wouldn't be taken seriously by us TEFL folk. Anyone from the west who ends up in such a situation as you would describe in your final article is there because of his own damn fault, not some exploitative system, school, director, et. al.

Anyone who comes to a place like Asia to do this teaching thing without the resources to run like hell when he needs to deserves what he gets. I've heard of guys going to places like South Korea with 200 USD in their pockets. If those guys end up in your article, I certainly will have no sympathy for them.

E

#3 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-05-31
Will you have a story? - ESL discussion

Mike, I'm a teacher in Asia and I couldn't imagine myself or any of my peers being 'forced' to work under conditions even approaching 'grueling'. However, if there ARE any such workers out there (ESPECIALLY from the USA), I'd love to know about them.

If all white-faced TEFL teachers are like me, you definitely won't have a story. The day someone told ME I 'HAD' to work under such conditions as you would expose in your article, I'd be making a beeline for the nearest airport and be gone by sundown, contract or no contract.

But, that's just me. There ARE idiots out there who'll put up with all sorts of abuse.

You just MIGHT have a story there.

Good luck.

RT

MikeCWC - 2005-05-30
Hong Kong teachers who are cheated - ESL discussion

Hello,

I'm an English reporter here in Hong Kong, and I'm currently working on a story about foreign teachers who are either paid less than what they were originally promised -- or teachers who are forced to accept grueling work conditions/hours/pay because they don't have the right credentials -- even though they're otherwise perfectly qualified.

Please e-mail me at mikecwc@yahoo.com if you could provide me with more information about the subject matter.

Thanks.

Return to Index › Hong Kong teachers who are cheated - ESL discussion

Go to another board -