TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › A warning of two recruiters to avoid!
#1 Parent foxy - 2012-08-05
Re: A warning of two recruiters to avoid!

Thanks for flagging this problem up. It's always been the case that some provinces and autonomous regions of China have insisted that their new recruits obtain medicals in their homelands. And some will insist you take a Chinese medical too after your arrival!
Another thing worth mentioning is that if you have a Chinese medical, it cannot always be transferred to another province. What I mean is that if you do one semester at one school in a certain province, and then switch your job to another province, the PSB in your new province will demand you take another medical although your initial medical is still in date by 6 months!

#2 Parent tianjindave - 2012-08-04

If you go for a Chinese job again, try and pin then down regarding the medical since a few provinces now require you to have it done in England. A medical is going to cost me £150-the school say they will reimburse me but not before threatening to not come at all. they didny tell me about the wretched medical until I had provided them with all the other stuff and turned down other jobs.

#3 Parent San Migs - 2012-08-04

Dear Drags,

Thanks for your kind words.

Unfortunately, it seems a number of years spent doing TEFL in China has no relevance to resuming work in the UK.

I have even applied to work at supermarkets, but because of the workfare scheme, there are not even many vacancies there.

And let's face it, a UK employer can choose between a guy who was been working menial jobs or been unemployed but has been in the UK for years, or some guy who has just come back and needs to renew his NI number, get back in the IRS, register for tax again and so on, and has no demonstratable experience, well, it's easy to see who is going to get the job. Basically the UK is not a good place to be working in, especially if you are single right now, especially with the current austerity measures. I'd imagine Greece, and from what I have heard from an Italian guy I met in China, Italy, are far worse than Spain, although it seems spain is heading down that route. So yes, I am considering tefl again.

Regards
SMGS

#4 Parent Dragonized - 2012-08-04

San Migs good luck with job hunting. Maybe you can find something that will make you happier than wherever you were working.

San Migs - 2012-08-01
A warning of two recruiters to avoid!

Hey guys,

Just a sit rep about my job hunt. Thanks to foxy, silverboy and turnoi and countless others for your support in this matter.

Chinaesl also did not respond to any emails despite showing initial interest in their first email to me.

Esltiger only seems to prefer female teachers, and also chooses not to reply to emails.

I would appreciate if people could keep the direct hire jobs coming, just got to keep stabbing away, I would also recommend avoiding Taiwan, it is getting just like the USA and becoming too streetwise re: education.

Regards
SMGS

Return to Index › A warning of two recruiters to avoid!

Go to another board -