TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Unfrozen Caveman Teacher - ESL discussion
#1 Parent Ann-Toe-Knee - 2005-06-15
That's exactly right - ESL discussion

Yes, those not knowing any local L1 are in for a treat if they come here to teach in Thailand. In Thailand, cheating is a reality, and many students have used it to get through their classes and even entire academic years.

This means they don't know squat. Some don't know even the simplest vocab because of their previous slackness and cheating, and YOU will have to pay that price when you arrive in their classrooms.

If you don't know any Thai, you should stay away from Thailand. Yes, you'll need some sort of hair treatment or even a complete hair transplant after a year in Thailand if you don't know any Thai.

Toe

#2 Parent SiamSap - 2005-06-15
I agree - ESL discussion

Yeap. If you come to Asia not knowing a word of the local L1, you are gonna have a blast tryin' to teach in places like China and Thailand. You'll need Rogaine after teaching here a year. Not because your hair fell out, but because you pulled it out.

If people come here knowing English only, they will indeed sound just like grunting cavemen to their students.

Gloppput sckopt chaku!

#3 Parent Howard Zinn, Historian - 2005-06-14
Right again - ESL discussion

I agree. Letting the students teach themselves is key. Remember when your dad or mom gave you the 'birds and the bees' talk? I remember when I got it at twelve. I was bored. Why was I bored? Because I already knew everything about sex by the time I was ten.

How did this happen? After all, my parents hadn't told me about sex, and neither had my afraid-of-the-parents teachers/schools.

I learned about sex from MY PEERS.

Relying on peer-to-peer communication in the classroom can help teach students English as well.

E

#4 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2005-06-14
Thanks, HZ - ESL discussion

I certainly understand what your saying,Howard. As I said I DO use a little L1 in the classroom sometimes, and yes previous bosses and parents have encouraged me to use more L1.

In the short term it can help some of the slackers whose L2 is low or virtually non-existent, but at the same time I think too much L1 can actually stunt the progress of more able students.

What I often do is ask the stronger ones to personally help the weaker ones. I often have to keep reminding them to reply in English when I ask a question,so I think to much L1 from me would be contradictory and a bad example.

All the best!

#5 Parent Howard Zinn, Historian - 2005-06-13
Excellent post, Yingwen - ESL discussion

You're right on, Yingweng. I agree completely. However, my students want me to speak in Thai when I introduce them to new concepts, so I try to do that.

And they're not the only ones. My fellow English teachers and even my boss want me to use Thai in those instances as well. So, I do what I'm told.

However, after I intro new material, I cut out my students' L1 completely. I go into 'English only' mode and TRY (often futily) to get my students to use as little Thai as possible. This has gotten me mixed results. Looking back after a year of teaching, I KNOW I could have taken my students farther if I would have used more Thai in the classroom. Especially the less-motivated students who were just starting to feel sex hormones raging through their blood.

Good luck,

HZ

#6 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2005-06-13
Useful, but not necessary - ESL discussion

I agree that being able to speak some of the L1 can come in useful when teaching in a foreign country. I can't however see it as being ESSENTIAL.

I have used some Chinese when disciplining some of my students,such as 'Anjing!'-(Quiet)' and 'Zuo'-(Sit),etc.In those circumstances using L1 seems to be more effective in exercising authority.However at the same time I find it sometimes works against me with the students just thinking it's hilarious to hear the foreign monkey shouting in Chinese.

If I get a feeling beforehand that a particular class might not understand a particular word that may hinder them in a class activity, or understanding of the target vocabulary I will look up the Chinese word,but only use it as back up!

To be honest I'd rather they look up the word they don't understand in their electronic dictionaries(even though I'm not a great fan of them), than just sleepingly sitting there saying, 'I don't understand!'

I generally only allow that, if I'm sure no-one understands, and I find it virtually impossible to illustrate the point.

I DO agree that it makes a lot of sense to learn as much basics of a language that you can before you go and live and work in another country(in fact I would recommend it).There is no doubt that it would certainly help in relations with fellow staff members(including your boss),in making friends and gaining independence.For instance shopping for yourself etc.

However, I disagree that it is essential in the classroom.I feel that when learning English with the local Chinese teachers the students are being exposed to, much too much Chinese as it is.In fact it seems that a larger percentage of each of those classes are in the L1 language.

As one FT put it so succintly on another forum.'As regards the local teachers the students are not LEARNING English, they're learning ABOUT English'.

In this regard, it certainly would make sense for the FT's to speak as little L1 as possible in the classroom,in order to try to redress the balance and get the students thinking in L2.

Do students respect foreign teachers more if they can and do speak L1? Possibly they often do!However if the same foreign teachers teaching skills and English were poor, surely that respect would be diluted somewhat.

On the other hand would an FT who could hardly say hello in Chinese, fail to gain the respect of the students if he had excellent teaching skills and a good knowledge of English?There are MANY excellent FT's in China who can hardly string two Chinese words together!

I have to agree with the TEFL mill in this respect. As regards the CLASSROOM L1 is not important,it's simply about your ability to teach and speak the L2!

#7 Parent Howard Zinn, Historian - 2005-06-13
The eternal teacher of the spotless English - ESL discussion

That's pretty funny. But it's true, unfortunately. I can't believe guys and gals will come Asia not knowing any other language but English.

No wonder English teachers have so many behavior/motivation/proficiency problems. No wonder they must resort to the desperation tactic of acting like Bozo the clown to get their students interested enough to learn five vocabulary words per semester.

At my TEFL mill, I was told I 'didn't have to know the native L1'. Baloney. I chose to learn a little and it helped tremendously. I can't imagine trying to do this without knowing at least some of the native language where I would be teaching.

If you teach in China, learn some Chinese. If you teach in Korea, learn some Korean.

Elephant - 2005-06-08
Unfrozen Caveman Teacher - ESL discussion

Did you hear about the white farang teacher who went to Thailand to teach English?

The idiot didn't know one word of Thai and STILL thought he could teach English in Thailand!

Return to Index › Unfrozen Caveman Teacher - ESL discussion

Go to another board -