TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Textbook Question RE: Canadian Spelling
#1 Parent tianjindave - 2012-08-08
Re: Textbook Question RE: Canadian Spelling

My estimation is that Canadian spelling is 50% American, 40% British and 10% uniquely Candian (words such as 'dietitian' which both Americans & British spell, 'dietician').
As an Australian (Australia has some unique vocabulary rather than unique spelling), I would choose either American or British spelling and use it consistently throughout the book.

Actually, I'd probably use American spelling, which certainly seems to be more common in Asia. And despite having been schooled based on British spelling, meter makes more sense to me than metre, personalize makes more sense than personalise, plow is better than plough, color is better than colour and so on.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What about ass or arse? If somebody kicks your ass, would you call the police, the RSPCA, or both? No, too much gets lost in in any oxymoron English. I t would take us a week to discuss why. I am happy in China that many Americans are starting to say Autumn instead of The fall. Where do you go to if you want to say Autumnal? Bit clumsy to say fall-like. What about spring? Shall we ignore it's own adjective and say spring-like? We could be referring to those things in beds. COLOR is bloody awful, it looks awful. I notice if the Chinese want to use colour in an advert, they usually put colour or COLOURFUL as opposed to COLORFUL which really doesn't do anything for you visually. Grammar and "American" English is a disaster area. We must not forget "American" English came about as a political decision, not to improve English, which it certainly does not.

#2 Parent Contributor - 2012-08-08
Re: Textbook Question RE: Canadian Spelling

My estimation is that Canadian spelling is 50% American, 40% British and 10% uniquely Candian (words such as 'dietitian' which both Americans & British spell, 'dietician').

As an Australian (Australia has some unique vocabulary rather than unique spelling), I would choose either American or British spelling and use it consistently throughout the book.

Actually, I'd probably use American spelling, which certainly seems to be more common in Asia. And despite having been schooled based on British spelling, meter makes more sense to me than metre, personalize makes more sense than personalise, plow is better than plough, color is better than colour and so on.

Grover - 2012-08-08
Textbook Question RE: Canadian Spelling

I’m putting the finishing touches on a textbook, some aspects of which I’ve presented on at various English teaching conferences in North America. It's called Catalyst: A Conversation Taskbook for English Language Learners and I have a question about the use of Canadianized spellings. Though the book would probably be of equal utility to both British and North American instructors of English I’m wondering if I should Americanize the spellings to be consistent and cater to what is probably the bigger market [due to size, proximity and influence] or should I damn the torpedoes and stick with the Canadian hybrid even though doing so could have an unconscious but adverse impact on sales in both of these larger markets. The Canadian market is important but not critical from a purely economic POV.
Brian Grover
Speekeezy Publication Workshop
Truth or Dare for English Language Learners [Nominee: 2012 ELTon Award for Learning Resources]
-----------------
http://www.speekeezy.ca

Return to Index › Textbook Question RE: Canadian Spelling

Go to another board -