TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Making the right career choices
#1 Parent Dragonized - 2012-08-16
Re: Making the right career choices

After reading your post, I really wonder if being in the teaching career opens you to have a tour of the most eccentric characters in life. I certainly can't think of any other sector except politics perhaps that would yield so many crazy bastards!

#2 Parent croydonboy - 2012-08-15

As I prefer teaching in the backwater places of China that have neither Western fast food chain restaurants nor more than a couple of Westerners in town

You sound like a couple of older guys i knew in rural central china, one an american and one an aussie, as I know you are a brit, I am sure you are not them...but while I don't miss western fast food in China, I do like a cheeky chardonay or a good german mug of beer, something which is easier to get in the bigger cities from a western supermarket/bar. Or is your neck of the woods pretty cool for getting imported items?

Cheers,
cb

#3 Parent tianjindave - 2012-08-15

It's the couple of teachers who post on this site, teachers qualified to teach in the West who really annoy me. For reasons best known to themselves- not good enough to get jobs in the West-personality problems- on the run from something-just honestly prefer to teach oral English and follow simple lesson plans. Now, they don't annoy me because for whatever reasons they have decided(or forced into) to downgrade and teach in China, but they do annoy me when they start spouting that the only way you should be allowed to teach in China is to have language degrees etceteras. Even in Private schools where they will give you lesson plans to teach business English, you get to see the lesson plans before you have to go into the glass cubicle to teach, so anything you don't know, any word you don't know the meaning of, you can soon look it up beforehand-it's not that difficult.. In middle schools it's the Chinese teachers who teach the grammar-it's not our business if they make a pig's ear of if. I certainly don't think it is my job to come to China and start interfering with Chinese teaching methods. However, their methods can't be too bad when you compare how many Chinese Middle school pupils can speak a second language against say how many British pupils are able to, even without the help of FT's.

#4 Parent tianjindave - 2012-08-15

I will say one thing for private schools, you are as an FT unlikely to get drawn into a web of in-house sin as you could well do if you work in the universities. Maybe it's because I am pretty handy in the Mandarin department but I was always being invited to iffy gatherings by my bosses. This story has just emerged today, and it doesn't at all surprise me. The picture is not blue but you can see what they have been up and it's easy for an FT to get involved.

There is new development on the “Indecent Photo Gate”, which the top leader of Lujiang County, Anhui Province was rumored to be the one in the photo. These photos circulating the Internet had three men and two women fully naked in a hotel. Luijiang County made a announcement regarding the incident saying the photos have nothing to do with the county official, and they should be called “Photos of 3 Kunming couples partying in a hotel”.
(After investigation) Two involved persons, Wang Yu, Vice Secretary of the League in Hefei University, and his wife were expelled from the Party and fired of their official positions.
Journalists learned from Hefei University that at 12:30pm on August 10th, the university captured the indecent photos on the internet and started investigation immediately, and confirmed Wang Yu was among the involved parties. Wang Yu himself confessed that the other two men in the photos were not government leaders in Lujiang County and they did not know each other. The university immediately called a Party Committee meeting and decided to remove Wang’s office. The university also reported the decision to Hefei Municipal Party Committee and Discipline Check Committee, who started investigation and reached a conclusion at 11pm on the same day that the photos were taken in May 2007 when Wang Yu participated in licentious activities. The university held a Party Committee conference at 11:30pm on August 10th and decided to remove Wang’s party membership and official position. One of the females in the photos was Wang Yu’s wife, a middle school teacher in Hefei, and she was also expulsed from the Party and fired from her job.
On August 11th, the university held a meeting among middle-ranking officials to announce the decision and sent the notice to Wang Yu. The University held a University Check Committee meeting to strengthen thought and political education on officials and staffs, using this incidence as an example.
In addition, the rumor that, He, an official of the League in Hefei University, was involved in the scandal was found out to be untrue.

#5 Parent foxy - 2012-08-14

Half of all degrees offered and accepted by state Universities are proffered by wily street-wise older teachers and are potato-stamp degrees.

I'm sure there are foreigners with FECs awarded on account of fake degree documentation. As to the fraction of FTs who use such fakes, I think it's very hard to put an accurate figure on that.

Mind you I come from a generation which used to say if you are good enough to fib your way into a job, you're good enough to hold it. They are more than adequate to teach in China.

I agree with that. But it's the visa regulations that do not take that into account at all. That's why many public Chinese employers in EFL won't consider Westerners without degrees. Probably most of the latter know that the level of English required by FTs to do at least an adequate job as an FT here is seldom correlated to whether they are degreed or not.

Re Western culture in this respect - a hard-working and respected local Edinburgh councillor leader of a group of councillors was subsequently found to have lied on her cv re her academic qualifications, and was quickly pressured to tender her resignation. Had she not done so, she'd have been fired. That's the British way - honesty above all else, zero tolerance in this respect.
But in my opinion just because it's the British way doesn't mean it's always the way to proceed. I'd have thought that clemency could sometimes be applied on account of the exceptionally good overall work performance of a person whose dishonesty in respect of the above has been discovered!

#6 Parent tianjindave - 2012-08-14

The strange thing is that many ads for FTs for the private sector do not insist on job applicants meeting the minimum requirements academic qualification-wise that have been stipulated by the Chinese authorities as necessary for the award of an FEC and hence a Z visa. Surely this means that there will be FTs employed by private English schools in China who would be ineligble for the vast majority of public schools/universities that almost always demand their FTs to have a university degree. The so-called unqualified FTs employed in the private sector at present are almost always marginalized re getting alternative employment in the public sector.
It's true that GWs in the private sector with degrees and TEFL would switch to competing for public sector jobs, but not by any means many of them - they would dislike working for average pay in small cities and counties where it would be difficult for them to find second jobs that would occupy a large proportion of their free time to enrich themselves to some extent by working the kind of long and unsociable hours overall they formerly put in at private schools. Since they are qualified academically to get working visas in other countries too, I suspect they'd apply for private sector teaching jobs elsewhere instead of continuing their teaching careers China.
As I prefer teaching in the backwater places of China that have neither Western fast food chain restaurants nor more than a couple of Westerners in town, I doubt there would be increased competition from ex training centre GWs for the kind of public sector jobs that I choose to apply for.
The reason I am against the private sector of EFL teaching in China is that there are too many horror stories emanating from there about FTs being used and abused! I shall discard the kind of self-serving reasons you suggest for keeping Chinese private English schools open. They should all be closed down for good by the relevant authorities here, and the sooner the better, that's my view!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________---
Half of all degrees offered and accepted by state Universities are proffered by wily street-wise older teachers and are potato-stamp degrees. Mind you I come from a generation which used to say if you are good enough to fib your way into a job, you're good enough to hold it. They are more than adequate to teach in China.

As for the rest of what you say, I'm sure there's a lot in it-I will think on what you said. I merely offered a...lets see.....an additional consideration; and you have made a marvellous start. Well done that man.

#7 Parent Dragonized - 2012-08-14

Yep, vested interests wouldn't have the objectivity. Back in 09 before I started to post on here I was a bit shy about posting due to the fact that I have dabbled in the private sector of education in China as well. But the good folks on here gave me enough courage to not take my past mistaken judgements too seriously that I would not want to contribute to this board. You guys make it a lot of fun :)

#8 Parent foxy - 2012-08-14

If you could press a button and get shot of all the private Chinese English schools in one stroke, the knock on effects could well mean you'd be deleting your own job in a Chinese state school.

The strange thing is that many ads for FTs for the private sector do not insist on job applicants meeting the minimum requirements academic qualification-wise that have been stipulated by the Chinese authorities as necessary for the award of an FEC and hence a Z visa. Surely this means that there will be FTs employed by private English schools in China who would be ineligble for the vast majority of public schools/universities that almost always demand their FTs to have a university degree. The so-called unqualified FTs employed in the private sector at present are almost always marginalized re getting alternative employment in the public sector.
It's true that GWs in the private sector with degrees and TEFL would switch to competing for public sector jobs, but not by any means many of them - they would dislike working for average pay in small cities and counties where it would be difficult for them to find second jobs that would occupy a large proportion of their free time to enrich themselves to some extent by working the kind of long and unsociable hours overall they formerly put in at private schools. Since they are qualified academically to get working visas in other countries too, I suspect they'd apply for private sector teaching jobs elsewhere instead of continuing their teaching careers China.
As I prefer teaching in the backwater places of China that have neither Western fast food chain restaurants nor more than a couple of Westerners in town, I doubt there would be increased competition from ex training centre GWs for the kind of public sector jobs that I choose to apply for.
The reason I am against the private sector of EFL teaching in China is that there are too many horror stories emanating from there about FTs being used and abused! I shall discard the kind of self-serving reasons you suggest for keeping Chinese private English schools open. They should all be closed down for good by the relevant authorities here, and the sooner the better, that's my view!

#9 Parent tianjindave - 2012-08-14

Right on, Dave!!! What a good post!!!! One of the best posts I ever read here!!! I am moonstruck!!!
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-----

You may think so, Moonstruck, and I thank thee, but others might not agree.....'tis possible.

#10 Parent Moonstruck - 2012-08-14

Right on, Dave!!! What a good post!!!! One of the best posts I ever read here!!! I am moonstruck!!!

#11 Parent tianjindave - 2012-08-14

I curse all you gws who dare to come on here and praise up private schools/training centers in China. You're on the take and on the make!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If you could press a button and get shot of all the private Chinese English schools in one stroke, the knock on effects could well mean you'd be deleting your own job in a Chinese state school. You think about it. It would mean disgruntled Grovelling Weasels all applying for your cosy university position, having found themselves homeless..............except it wouldn't be cosy for very long for whoever fills the position. With hoards of GW's all applying for relatively few vacancies, the Chinese could be relied on to feel they would have even more of the whip hand-Your 6000rmb would soon become 3000, and you would really have to ingratiate yourself for that pittance. In fact they may well put on the job requirements ONLY GW'S NEED APPLY. No, we need to start being kind to GW's and English Centres, because our jobs depend on them.

#12 Parent foxy - 2012-08-14

China is only for having a good time. Nobody really comes to China " for the teaching". Anybody who really takes teaching seriously in China these days is a fool.

But we foreign teachers should take our teaching seriously enough so as not to be fired through it being substandard in our local workplace environments. The name of the game is to fulfill our contracts according to our Chinese bosses' minimum demands and as a consequence of that not to lose out financially. How much elbow grease we need to expend in order to do so will depend largely on whether we choose the public or the private sector to practise our profession.

In my experience the public sector is generally a better choice - less effort required to please the employer and more job security besides. But although the pay is less, much less stress and more time to play are among the positives.

Those of us who are enlightened can all quote examples from the West where public functions have been privatised resulting in inferior employment packages and more hours at work for new staffs.

Only a Western fool, or a greedy and naive Westerner, or someone who cannot meet the minimum requirements for a foreign expert's certificate, would immerse himself/herself in the private education sector in China. That sector is far worse than any other private sector in the West re employees' employment packages and job security.

I curse all you gws who dare to come on here and praise up private schools/training centers in China. You're on the take and on the make!

Return to Index › Re: Making the right career choices

Go to another board -