TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › (Message Deleted by Poster)
#1 Parent tianjindave - 2012-08-16
Re: Teaching in Guangzhou Worlda Cultral &Edcuational Service CO.LTD

I'm not the voluptuous, middle-aged, white female that Chinese schools prefer.
I'm that, and based on your words I'm thinking of applying for a teaching position in China. If the above is true, I reckon I'll be well advised to earn my corn as a foreign teacher in Red China. But is the above true???
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've heard that Chinese male teachers like voluptuous women. It's true they can be attractive; however ,we should bear in mind that 'voluptuous' can be a euphemism for, overweight or centrally obese. Centrally obese in a woman is when her waist measurement is 35" or over. An unhealthy waist measurement, female waist, is just 32 inches+, Being abdominally obese (or centrally so) can bring on DVT. Not too good for long flights and if the clot goes to your lungs it could mean you will arrive in China dead. It could herald high blood pressure and you could get a stroke. The complications of being voluptuous are too numerous to particularise further.

My motto is this "count the calories and the pounds will take care of themselves." A woman should not consume more than 1500 calories a day. That's sedentary intake, and us teachers are fairly sedentary.

Six months hard work and you can arrive in China slim and trim. I've seen many die of obesity and jump to warn others when I can. I hope that is helpful. Yes , voluptuousness can mean popularity in Chinese schools.......but

#2 Parent Dragonized - 2012-08-16

Speaking from personal experience, you might

1. Get additional classes without extra pay

2. Be forced to attend special "lunches" or "dinners" with some supposedly important local government official

3. Get spied on both in your class as well as having visitors come to your home unannounced

4. Be asked to do outside the class activities such as English Corners

5. Be used/exploited by some unscrupulous locals for their own business agendas

6. Deal with characters both local and foreign, but amongst the foreign teacher circle you will always find some pompous know it all who will dump on you.

This isn't something that will necessarily cause trauma in your own mind if it happens occasionally, but over the long haul you might find yourself looking for a new job in china hoping for something better. "Better" is almost impossible though, so you'd best take care of yourself and tread carefully.

#3 Parent Geraldine - 2012-08-16

I'm not the voluptuous, middle-aged, white female that Chinese schools prefer.

I'm that, and based on your words I'm thinking of applying for a teaching position in China. If the above is true, I reckon I'll be well advised to earn my corn as a foreign teacher in Red China. But is the above true???

#4 Parent Phalon - 2012-08-16
(Message Deleted by Poster)
Return to Index › (Message Deleted by Poster)

Go to another board -