Re: Fake Products in China

Cronies you say?

But still those BEERS, eh?

#2 Parent englishgibson - 2012-08-20

Cheers and beers to forums cronies :)

#3 Parent croydonboy - 2012-08-19

the FACT is that its tennis shoes bottom on scores of produced units is of a low quality and it wears out before the rest of the shoe.

Have you got a source url that can confirm this?

Cheers and beers to getting facts straight in China!

Are you still enjoying the beers, after your sports/tennis?

#4 Parent englishgibson - 2012-08-18

Magister, the manufacturer has blatantly brushed off a few complaints on varieties of quality issues, and, yes, as according to the people I associate with on tennis courts, I would be asked for a definite proof the shoes have caused be my injury. My doctor, I also play tennis with, claims his report that my shoes are faulty would be labeled as highly subjective and repercussions could follow. There is a hell lot of money and influential people in the local market. As you have mentioned the economic benefits, there are plenty out of producing the sports shoes here.

With respect to copyrights and intellectual property rights on mainland China, unfortunately the manipulative local capitalism protects its profits rather than those rights of brand names holders who obviously are more often interested in opportunities, not litigations.

Regarding Adidas, the FACT is that its tennis shoes bottom on scores of produced units is of a low quality and it wears out before the rest of the shoe. Many recent Adidas tennis shoes users in Guangdong have been experiencing this, although their rights are only to either buy a new pair or switch to another brand name (perhaps local that some may hope here). One close friend of mine sent a complaint with the unfortunate shoes to the manufacturer who rebuffed him with nothing but excuses.

In the end, consumers’ rights on mainland China will most likely depend on the manipulative local capitalists and their rulers. The billion and a half of people usually get only limited choices after all. Perhaps, this is the best way to keep the economic sectors running smoothly.

Cheers and beers to Made In OUTSIDE China 

#5 Parent croydonboy - 2012-08-17

And Cheers and Beers to your life after China, in CANADA:)

#6 Parent Magister - 2012-08-17

A student of mine recently told me that the wallmart supermarket in my city was a fake!

I guess in time things in china will improve and more established laws regarding copyrights and intellectual property rights will be established. China will need to make these changes if it ever hopes to develop its tertiary and quaternary economic sectors to compete with those of the west particularly the USA whose economy benefits from about 40% of R&D spending worldwide.

Chinese consumers are also becoming more picky about what they buy. Certainly those who can afford to buy high end, brand name foreign products are doing so which has helped such manufacturers back in the west survive the economic slump in their home nations.

As for the shoes, would you expect the retailer or manufacturer to give a refund if they had been purchased in the west? My guess is that if you tried to claim that then the retailer/manufacturer would ask for definitive proof that their shoes caused the injury to your foot as opposed to any one of the many others reasons why you might be suffering this pain.

#7 Parent englishgibson - 2012-08-17

Cheers and beers to faking :)

#8 Parent croydonboy - 2012-08-15

Dear EnglishGibson,

It seems you are not very content with things in China.

Sincerely, cheers and beers to where you can find inner peace. God knows there is no shame in leaving China, many have done it.

Cheers and beers to those who have left and are looking towards new horizons!

englishgibson - 2012-08-14
Fake Products in China

Pain and money spent on many inadequate products have prompted me to post this message. In more than a decade, I have shopped for local and foreign brand names in China, and I have watched out for all kinds of fake products. What I have found most difficult is to examine some legit foreign brand names, which are made in the country. My frustration is based on my experiences that they may not be fakes essentially, but they often are substandard to the brand names' quality and/or practices.

As I am active in sports I purchase sporting goods frequently. Most often I look for foreign brand names because I am more familiar with and have larger confidence in them. A month ago, I bought a pair of adidas tennis shoes of the exact same style as half a year ago. However, the more recent pair of shoes has caused me a serious pain in my right foot suggesting another substandard or perhaps a fake product of a foreign brand in the country. Since both pairs of shoes come from seemingly licensed adidas shops that are in large shopping malls, it is harder to believe my more recent tennis shoes are a counterfeit.

So, what are my choices with respect to my most recent purchase of shoes? Send the shoes/complaint and wait or continue on to see whether my painful foot "adjusts" to the right shoe that causes me the nuisance? I dare to speculate that the producer is well aware of customers' choices on mainland China and that the practices are fully in hands of the locals, not foreigners that own the name.

In the end, it's most likely about the large chaotic local market that's manipulated to a great extent, compromising foreign brand names, poor local regulations, and consumers who have limited rights in the country. I can't imagine the amount of products based on fraud this country is producing every day. Where will the world be in, say 20 years, if every nation establishes itself on such practices as China has?

Cheers and beers our sixth sense when shopping in China

Return to Index › Fake Products in China

Go to another board -