TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Narrow Band in China, Firewall Problems and PC Errors
#1 Parent San Migs - 2012-08-23
Re: Narrow Band in China, Firewall Problems and PC Errors

Eventually, we'll all be using 'the Cloud' and our PC's and laptops or tablets will just be networked access devices.

I do agree, but 5gb is not yet enough to convince me that it is time to do without a SSD.

Perhaps in five years time, but until then...?

#2 Parent tianjindave - 2012-08-23

If I were going to China for an extended period, I would install one of the VMWare supervisors on the bare metal laptop and install both Windows and at least one version of Linux to run in virtual machines. I would create backup images of the installed systems on the hard drive and I would also bring along an external drive containing additional backups. This should allow me to recover from almost any failure except the loss of both the laptop AND the external hard drive.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would only install Linux, and have a Windows 7 option to install as a virtual machine with Linux as the Host. However, I'd only entertain Win7 at all if I needed to use QQ, which as you know would normally only be available on Linux if you used as web-based QQ-and that is none too good. I would take a couple of flash drives in case I needed to reinstall Linux.

The last thing you want to do in China is to bury yourself away with all the fodder for the moronic masses like ,twitter, facebook- you should be out there away from your desktop kissing and cuddling the Chinese girls, climbing mountains and learning Mandarin. If you need to send a picture home, attach it to your e-mail. Don't prepare you computer as if that is all you will do in your spare time. You might need a virtual Win7 for QQ to arrange dates with Chinese women.

#3 Parent John Austin (in Newfoundland) - 2012-08-23

Just a brief summary from a pro.

Modern laptops are built on chips that include hardware support for virtualization. There are bags of memory and disk space to spare.

If I were going to China for an extended period, I would install one of the VMWare supervisors on the bare metal laptop and install both Windows and at least one version of Linux to run in virtual machines. I would create backup images of the installed systems on the hard drive and I would also bring along an external drive containing additional backups. This should allow me to recover from almost any failure except the loss of both the laptop AND the external hard drive.

The trick with this is to make regular backups (at least weekly) so that you simplify your restore.

If that isn't robust enough for you, consider using a cloud provider to store additional backups. You probably want a China-based cloud provider to avoid crossing through the 'great firewall' as that could be a performance issue. (The Great Firewall won't scale up because it requires software running in big servers, eventually the Chinese Gov't will give up or fall behind the western world).

Eventually, we'll all be using 'the Cloud' and our PC's and laptops or tablets will just be networked access devices.

Through Dense Wave-Division Multiplexing, there will be almost limitless bandwidth available. Currently fibre optic transmission systems supports channels running at 10 Gigabits per second. That's 10,000 times faster than the 1 Mbps DSL modem of the year 2000. With DWDM, there can be several hundred different 'colours' of laser beam employed and each of these carries data at 10 Gbps. I am also lying about it because support for 40 Gbps and even 100 Gbps is becoming quite common. Google for 'Emerald Atlantis' to see the progress of the most modern transatlantic cable systems.

DWDM systems can also be switched in 'the optical domain' which means there is no conversion to electrical bits that travel through microprocessors. The signals are added and dropped using refraction.

#4 Parent tianjindave - 2012-08-20

Thanks for your post. May I suggest Linux Mint or Ubuntu, as most programs that are on windows have linux alternatives, it is an alternative to the spyware infested windows distros.

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-belongs-on-older-pcs-like-a-fish-needs-a-bicycle-7000002747/

Cheers,
CB
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-
Oh Yippee, great minds think alike. I should warn anybody in China especially to steer clear of WINDOZE. If you really must, use a good WIn7-loader, that will receive updates, but do not attempt to use "Security Essentials" because Microsoft like to, every so often, hide an update in that programme, especially designed to suss- out loaders and deactivate your operating system. Better to use something like free-edition AVG.

What you can do is have Linux as your sole inhabitant of your hard drive and then invite Win 7 as a virtual guest on a virtual engine. That is something you may want to do if you really must use Chinese QQ, which has never been welcome on Linux because of all the viruses that come pack and parcel.

Linux is brilliant on all machines, new or old; however, if you have an old laptop or desktop, Linux might be your only option since it is likely that you will lose the use of some hardware, like sound, webcam, printers and stuff, when you update from XP to 7. Linux is brilliant at finding software to give your hardware a new lease of life.

#5 Parent tianjindave - 2012-08-20

Why bother about fake Chinese Windows 7 when you can get genuine free Linux Mint or Ubuntu, which is faster, immune from viruses and your fan will only have to work half as hard? Windoze can destroy your laptop-it certainly won't last as long. Here is my nice Linux desktop, Foxy. I like my icons small but you can have them what size you like. Chinese keboard for the little lady comes as standard,

#6 Parent croydonboy - 2012-08-20

Finally, I've managed to get my laptop working well in China despite running the Chinese version of Windows 7. I've downloaded some free tools. They run very well in conjunction with each other. It has taken me 4 days to get my system working well. I'll settle for that, though I'm no computer expert!

Thanks for your post. May I suggest Linux Mint or Ubuntu, as most programs that are on windows have linux alternatives, it is an alternative to the spyware infested windows distros.

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-belongs-on-older-pcs-like-a-fish-needs-a-bicycle-7000002747/

Cheers,
CB

foxy - 2012-08-19
Narrow Band in China, Firewall Problems and PC Errors

Finally, I've managed to get my laptop working well in China despite running the Chinese version of Windows 7. I've downloaded some free tools. They run very well in conjunction with each other. It has taken me 4 days to get my system working well. I'll settle for that, though I'm no computer expert!
1 - Windows MSE for security
2 - Windows Firewall Protection
3 - NT Registry Tweaker, very simple and fast
4 - Weeny Free System Cleaner, don't use to clean disk drives
5 - Jet Clean, use to clean registry
6 - Jet Boost, use instead of ASC's Turbo Boost - set to work mode, very good tool.
7 - Advanced System Care, use registry fix, quick care and deep care. Also has uninstaller and Win Fix, both very useful.
8 - MZ XP Tweaker, you can turn off the monitor whenever you like
9 - ARO 2012, apply 'clean up'.

I use UUSee, Baidu, Sopcast and Veetle. Also Destiny Media Payer, but WMP and Real Player have no sound! I've also somehow lost the sound on Veetle HD, or Sopcast, or Baidu only when I have no option but to use the Baidu Player to watch some particular HD movies! So, I don't watch those ones! Now I'm set up well for podcasts and for live international radio - 128 KB/s radio stations okay via Shoutcast , sports and movies. I can live with my sound problems!

Return to Index › Narrow Band in China, Firewall Problems and PC Errors

Go to another board -