TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Web International Shanghai
#1 Parent Sola - 2012-08-31
Re: Web International Shanghai

Hello Dragonized,

Thank you so much for your reply. I will follow your advice and maybe wait a bit until something else turns up. Hopefully.

Sola.

#2 Parent Dragonized - 2012-08-30
Re: Web International Shanghai

Hi Sola thanks for letting everyone know about your potential job with Web Intl. I would suggest that you be very very careful and make sure you get them to put down the stipulation on a WRITTEN piece of paper (such as ON YOUR CONTRACT) stating that you will get your housing allowance every month. You risk dealing with people who will procrastinate and possibly bullshyte you on the housing allowance. Worst case scenario is you fly to Shanghai and you find out that you will not be getting reimbursed on ANY housing allowance.

If what they advertise and what they actually give to you in the contract is different to begin with, then you need to think about avoiding this place all together. It sounds like they are just trying to get teachers to come over any way that they can, and if this is the case then you need to think about whether this company is a professional one in the first place. Places like Web will give you what you want to hear and then back out on their promise.

What is considered ethical in western countries can be viewed as a "luxury" that chinese bosses don't HAVE to give to you. This is the entitlement mindset of most if not almost all chinese businessmen and businesswomen that I have come across. I would suggest looking for more options.

Being a longtime poster I have stated to look for something in the public sector but they do have lower pay, but you'll have an easier life. That's just a suggestion though. Good luck with your job hunting!

Sola - 2012-08-30
Web International Shanghai

Hello all,

I have been offered a position at Web International in Shanghai. When reading the contract I realise that some of the terms that were in their job advert were not in the contract. For example, the advert stated that an accommodation allowance will be given to teachers every months. It is a 12 months contract. However, in the contract it says that the accommodation allowance is not paid for the first and last month of the contract.
I ve asked them about that and also about the fact that nothing is mentioned, in the contract, about any medical insurance. They told me, by a written message on skype, that I will be getting the housing allowance for 12 months as well as a medical insurance. I then asked them if they could write it in the contract but they replied that they could not change the contract just for me but that "they promise that they will do everything they are telling me".
Has anyone had any, recent, experience with this company? Should I trust them? Or would it be silly of me to take their word?
I am young and this would be my first experience in China. I m struggling finding a job here and eager to go abroad to work. So very tempted by this offer..

Thank you,

Sola

Return to Index › Web International Shanghai

Go to another board -