TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › The ruse of Social Justice..agree/disagree?
Joshua Card - 2012-09-13
The ruse of Social Justice..agree/disagree?

Hello ESLer's,

My name is Joshua Card, currently a graduate student here at the University of Northern Colorado. I am going for a Master of Arts in Teaching, with a focus on Linguistically Diverse Education...or however you wish top it. This is my first semester and unfortunately, I am not buying into the mantra of what the curriculum is pushing (fortunately, actually). This has a caused a few problems.

1. I was actually going for a Masters in Sociology but after a couple of classes, I realized I was wasting my money. So, I had only a few hours to find an alternative and I was advised to go for this (considering I have 6 years of ESL experience, abroad). However, this class is geared for those already in the classroom......which I'm not, and this info would have been useful to know, beforehand. But, in order to keep the balance of finances I have to find a way to do some of these assignments.

2. As stated, I do NOT buy into this rubbish of shoving down the ruse of "social justice" down the throats of potential teachers. I fall more on the conservative line of the field, especially regarding education. Words like "discipline", "accountability", "culture of entitlement", "break down of traditional American values", "break down of the family unit", and so forth, fail to be written in the curriculum.

So...I'm hoping to gather more information and I can't think of too many other places to get hands on knowledge, than a pack of ESLers, in the trenches!

Not to worry, I have to listen to all arguments and will not sideswipe what you have to say. I'm merely trying to collect information from those who are in the trenches.

Allow me to give some questions..(samples or the real thing)

What is your understanding of Social Justice?
Do you think American public schools are providing the kind of education that prepares students for the REAL WORKING WORLD?
Do you think "multiculturalism" should be the critical pedagogy in today's classrooms? Do you see any dangers/advantages in this approach?
Do you think having an "English Only" policy in public schools is useful in setting the tone for academic standards?
Do you think that students, regarding their ethnic origins, should be held accountable for their behavior in schools?
Do you think discipline, accountability and standards are lacking?
Do you think curriculum in American public schools is representative of the population?
Do you think that there is a Secular Progressive movement within the United States, that is targeting the children in the public school system?
Do you think students (primarily elementary school students) should be actively engaging in ideological movements, advocacy activities while in the classroom?

These are the types of issues I am dealing with. If you wish to have an actual SKYPE chat, we can do that. In fact , it may be fun! If you wish to respond by email alone, that is good as well. Feel free to add any questions of your own, for discussion.

I hope to hear from you fellow ESLer's soon, no matter where you are or where your country of origin may be. And for you high speed educators, the focus contributor thus far to this bullshit curriculum is Sonia Nieto.

Cheers and beers.

Joshua Card

Return to Index › The ruse of Social Justice..agree/disagree?

Go to another board -