TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Getting married- the medical
#1 Parent foxy - 2012-10-14
Re: Getting married- the medical

5 years ago, I could've been a polygamist with syphilis when I got married, although I had to undergo the medical when renewing my spousal visa.

When I got married, my future wife bribed an official so that she and I were allowed to forego medicals. Since then, the PSB gave me the choice of renewing my L visa for 180 days without a medical, or for 360 days with a medical. I chose the former. Since renewing a zero entry for a UK citizen costs a mere 160 RMB, it would have been cheaper to do it the way I chose, given that a medical costs more than 160 RMB. The aforementioned bribe was 100 RMB, much cheaper than medicals for my wife and me. That was more than a decade ago.

Officially, my L visa is not a spousal visa, btw. In my case it's a visa for visiting a Chinese relative, namely my wife, and also for touring, with or without her. That's because I tick the relevant two boxes when applying for my L visas.

That's the procedure in Inner Mongolia. Hohhot. I've heard that in other places, foreigners with Chinese relatives can get 360 day L's without medicals being mandatory! I doubt very much that these days the Chinese authoirties will insist on medicals - that smacks of compromising one's human rights!

#2 Parent englishgibson - 2012-10-14

5 years ago, I could've been a polygamist with syphilis when I got married, although I had to undergo the medical when renewing my spousal visa. Local authorities are notoriously incompetent and irrational (sometimes at the same time). We truly aren't meant to be here.
Cheers and beers to our smart and beautiful multicultural children

#3 Parent Magister - 2012-10-13

From what you've written I guess you are like me from the uk and the wording in the parts you've highlighted in your post looks familiar from the embassy website. As I said in my previous post I would stick to what the embassy tells you to do in regards getting the relevant documents processed in order to prove you're single and then call (or have your wife call) the authorities in her Hukou area in order to find out exactly what they require. The expats you've spoken to are correct to assume that processes in different cities and provinces may vary but I find it highly unlikely that a medical test or letters from the Chinese partners parents will be necessary(they certainly weren't for me and my wife). I'd be careful believing what is written on the china.org website you've looked at. For one it's 6years out of date and secondly it doesn't reference where these requirements came from. The only way to be sure will to be call up the specific pencil pushers who will be responsible for processing the documents and even then I would recommend asking them several times as we all know that in china information and instructions tend to be leaked out a little at a time as opposed to just being presented in whole. however, I do maintain that marriage is by far one of the easiest bureaucratic processes you'll go through in china.

It would be good if you post your findings on this site as an update guide for others in your position.

Good luck and congratulations on the marriage

#4 Parent Justin Thyme - 2012-10-13

The issue of a medical was not clear which is why I asked the question. I was expecting those who use the Forum and are married (like yourself) to confirm or deny so thanks for your input.

This is what I have found out, taking as an example someone from the UK.

1. The expat will need to have certain documents in his possession or be able to obtain them from the UK. So you will need to prove that you are “single” . The expat, having the documents on hand, arranges an appointment at the Embassy or Consulate.

2. “If you live in China, and wish to marry a Chinese citizen in China, you must come to the Embassy or Consulate for the area where you reside and submit a Notice of Intention to Marry. If you hold a valid Chinese residence permit, you should present your permit [in your passport] when applying. If you are not normally resident in China, you must have stayed in China for a minimum of 21 continuous days before you submit the Notice of Marriage. The 21 days are counted from the date of the last Chinese immigration entry stamp; previous stays do not fulfil this requirement.

3. Chinese nationals can only be married in their area of 'household registration' (Hukou). If this area is in a different Consular District from where you give the Notice,[as in my case] the CNI will be issued by the relevant British Consulate-General or Embassy covering that area. Chinese nationals can register a marriage with an expat in their hukou -an official document that indicates where the citizen's recorded place of residence is.

4. If the expat is living in a different city or area to where his partner’s hukou is registered then the expat will have to return to his partner’s hukou area. Transfer of hukou is possible but difficult. “A citizen can transfer his or her hukou if an apartment is purchased or a position is held that is not considered to be a transient one (for example, a position as a hotel clerk would not qualify for a hukou transfer but a position as a senior middle school teacher at a government school would).”

I have been told by a number of expats that the issue of a medical may be specific to the marriage registration practices of the area, which is why I am confused.

#5 Parent Justin Thyme - 2012-10-13

Some more background.

“The Sino-foreign couple must go together, in person to the appropriate marriage registration office and submit a completed marriage registration application form (available at the marriage registration office). The appropriate marriage registration office will be the one in the jurisdiction in which the Chinese partner is registered (the location of the hukou).

Together with the application form, the couple must submit a number of other documents: http://www.china.org.cn/english/LivinginChina/184441.htm

Chinese Partner

(1) A certificate of marriageability
(2) A certificate of birth
(3) Household registration book (hukou)
(4) A health certificate (obtainable from a regional-level local hospital)
(5) A letter from the parents of the Chinese partner giving permission for their child to marry a foreigner (this letter should include the index fingerprint of both parents below their signatures and date)

Foreign Partner

(6) A current passport
(7) Chinese residence permit
(8) A health certificate from a local hospital designated by the marriage registration office
(9) Three photos of the marrying couple, taken together
(10) A registration fee
(11) A certificate of marriageability.

Item 11 requires further explanation. Basically, the marriage registration office needs a form from the foreign partner's home government stating he/she is not already married in his/her home country. Every foreign government has its own version of this type of form with its own requirements for obtaining one. Couples will need to check the embassy website of the foreign partner's home country in China for details on how to obtain this kind of certification. (Chinese translations must accompany foreign-language documents.)

Note: Application requirements may vary from office to office.”

#6 Parent Magister - 2012-10-12

I've not heard of anyone being asked to do a medical in order to get married! I certainly wasn't required to do one.

What do you mean about the hukou? Presumbly she has one as she's a Chinese citizen but all you should need is your passport as well as a certificate from your own embassy stating that you are not already married and possibly official documents to show you have been divorced where necessary.

You should check with your embassy what is required and then check with the authorities where her hukou is registered. If your soon to be wife is from a small town or city then it's likely that they won't be able to register the marriage between a Chinese and a non-Chinese and therefore you'll have to go to a nearby big city to carry out the procedure.

In general and in comparison with other procedures in China registering a marriage is easy!

#7 Parent Justin Thyme - 2012-10-12

Thanks for your views.

#8 Parent extc - 2012-10-10

You will be just fine.

The tests are to make sure you are not bringing any infectious/contagious diseases into the country, other than your love for your wife.

In closing, marriage has little or nothing to do with any document(s) that a government clerk might issue you with.

Extc

Justin Tyme - 2012-10-10
Getting married- the medical

I need comments specifically from those who have married a Chinese woman.

I know all the processes, including the hukou requirement and the bureaucracy involved. I have also read that the need for a medical for a foreigner prior to marriage is dependent on the locality - some insist, others don't. I also know several expats who have a Chinese wife and who also are on a range of medication (mainly for heart problems).

Questions: What is the purpose of the medical? Is it merely to ensure the foreigner does not have any infectious diseases? Is it just another money-grabbing scheme? Has anyone you know been refused a marriage certificate because of their medical condition? Anyone got married in Hong Kong where the procedure( apart from the hukuo isue) seems more straightforward.

My last medical was clear. I don't take any medication. I'm reasonably fit. But what if the urine and blood tests show something I am unaware of? Will this prevent me from getting married?

Any comments from those who have gone through the process are welcome.

Return to Index › Getting married- the medical

Go to another board -