TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Need help - ESL discussion
#1 Parent Elephant - 2005-06-16
Well, what did you decide? - ESL discussion

Did you decide where to go to teach? I know of a job RIGHT NOW you could step into in Thailand. It's a job teaching at a high school near Lopburi. I just finished up a contract there and am now ready to go make some 'real' money doing this TEFL thing.

Interested?

E

#2 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-05-31
Some thoughts - ESL discussion

I wish I could tell you which place is 'best', Dave. It depends on what you value. I'm a serious teacher who expects a lot from my students and my school, including pay. So...let me give it a shot in the dark.

I teach in Thailand. The rule here is English teachers need both a Bachelor's degree and a TESOL or CELTA certificate. I think you'll have to get a TESOL to teach here, even though you have partially-completed ESOL course under your belt. I don't think a partial is good enough, unfortunately.

If you do need the certificate, there is no way around paying out hundreds or thousands on a TESOL course, save for one possibility: one can get a 'fake' TESOL certificate from a counterfeit document vendor on Koh Sarn Road in Bangkok. This will set him back about 75 USD. If he's careful, he can pull it off easily. I know at least five people who are running on fakes and they've had no problems. They're good teachers, too. If you are interested in the 'real deal' certificate, check out the TESOL programs in Bangkok. One place here in Thailand is TEFL Int'l. This is a good place to get a real certificate, but it's pricey (1600 USD not including airfare), at least for Asia.

As far as teaching here in Thailand goes, the pay is way low compared with schools in countries like South Korea. Also, the students aren't too motivated to learn here. Cheating is rampant where I work, as is horseplay and talking/sleeping in class. Most of my students never practice speaking/listening outside of class, which means they aren't getting any closer to proficiency as the classes go by. They need to practice if they are gonna stay out of the sweatshops.

Understand that, again, I'm a serious teacher with high expectations of my students. I'm highly offended by the cheaters and cheating I see here. If this describes you, DO NOT come to Thailand. After a year here, I'm leaving mainly because I'm infuriated by all the cheating and cheaters. I don't make enough to put up with it. I wish I would have known it was like this before I came here. I wouldn't have come here.

Some guys like it here, though. If you don't mind cheating, and you are more 'laid back', you'll be able to easily find a job in Thailand you'll like after you get a TESOL/CELTA. Just don't expect to make much money teaching here, though. At some jobs in Thailand you'll just barely 'break even' after teaching a year.

I know you'll also need a TESOL in South Korea and Japan. Some schools in SK will provide you with free training as well. If you don't get your TESOL training free in SK, you'll still be able to find a job with a school in either SK or Japan that will reimburse you for your airfare. You won't get an airfare reimbursement if you come to Thailand.

I've heard that SK and Japanese students are much more serious in the classroom, too. Go to Japan or SK and you'll be happier, I'm betting. I know you'll be richer. That's for damn sure. Who knows, you might just be able to get in a FREE TESOL course to boot. Look into it.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

RT

#3 Parent jinchafa - 2005-05-29
To Dave Re: Need Help - ESL discussion

If you look hard enough you can find a job without a TESOL Certificate. However, I wouldn't minimize the importance of having one. And if you do decide to get a certificate, I would suggest avoiding the online programs. Many of them are scams and not worth a plug nickel. There are some good schools in the States that are intensive one month programs and would be well worth the effort and the cost.
As for teaching in Asia without a certificate, it varies. I can only speak first hand of my experience and extensive searching for good jobs in China, but I think it's generally the same all over Asia. You can find a job without a certificate, especially with your qualifications, but the best jobs are those that require one. Albeit, a word of advice; be very careful when choosing a job. If possible, avoid agents. English teaching has become such a lucrative business that corruption is rampant.Communicate directly with the employers at the school, and talk to someone who is working there as an EFL teacher or has worked there in the past. In other words, be very careful. Right now, schools in China, Korea, and Taiwan have the worst reputations for honoring their commitments. But that's not to say it's impossible to find a good job with kind and honorable employers. Just do your research.
Now, even though you mention that money is not an issue because of your financial condition, please don't accept a job for under 7000RMB if you choose to work in China. Others will disagree with me on this point, but the truth is that they can all afford to pay much more than what is generally offered and accepted. Personally, I won't accept less than 7000 and that must include all the ammenities; free, unshared housing (Western style), all utilities paid, water dispenser provided and water paid, computer provided (with internet access paid). Also, make sure you will not be expected to work for more than 25 hours max, and that there is a provision in your contract for a raise if your students respond to your teaching after a given time agreed upon by you and your employer. Having said all that though, please be aware that a contract will generally not protect you in China. It's for them not you. Don't accept a contract that stipulates a payment to them if you break the contract. Agree on a one month trial period. Never sign a contract until your passport is in your hand with the work visa already provided.
Finally, remember that Chinese are practiced and shrewd negotiators. They love to say yes when they mean no. And no can often mean they're only testing you.
Good luck.

Dave - 2005-05-29
Need help - ESL discussion

I am a 43-year-old American who has a BA in English (Secondary Teaching Emphasis), two years experience teaching English in a Colorado high school (early 1990s), and two years experience teaching language arts in a Florida middle school (2002-2004). I left both jobs of my own free will to pursue other endeavors, which did not turn out to be what I wanted. While teaching in Florida I was working on my state ESOL certification and had completed over one-hundred hours of the three-hundred hours required -- but I was the eighth grade ESOL teacher for language arts while I was working on my certification (this is verifiable through my references). Now, I want to go overseas and teach.

OK, now to my two questions.

1) Do I really need a TEFL, TESOL, TESL, CELTA, PELT E-I-E-I-O certificate? These seem to be geared toward people with non-teaching degrees, and no experience in teaching. I do not mind padding my resume with an online course if it would help, but Im not too excited about the prospect of a six-week course that would cost thousands of dollars, when I already know how to do what will be taught.

2) I would like to go to Latin America, but do not see too many jobs. I have been told that Latin employers do very little advertising of openings, and that you must go to a country and personally present yourself at a school and say that you are seeking a job. Maybe ten years ago, but If this is true, I have no problem going to Asia, but where is the best place to go? Money is not a motivator for me -- I actually have a few dollars in the bank and my student loans are LONG gone! I would like to see an interesting culture and meet people. I would prefer to teach children, but adults are fine too.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

Return to Index › Need help - ESL discussion

Go to another board -