TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: EF Hangzhou Grades Corruption
#1 Parent foxy - 2012-10-29
Re: EF Hangzhou Grades Corruption

But most younger chinese people who made under 3,000 yuan I had met were always complaining about life in one way or another. The mindset of people there is to make more money no matter what the cost. The inequality of income in that place is horrid, and it's a sure hell for young folks with ideals and dreams.

I agree with that. But not everyone is a capitalist. i suppose it all depends on what you're looking for. I've asked other readers to suggest countries where you can earn the equivalent local buying power of 5,000 RMB for around 12 clock hours/week teaching EFL. Fact is, nobody can suggest anywhere else outside of mainland China! So, in this respect, China is the place to teach for those of us who are after a relatively well-paid sinecure.
Being a white natives speaker of English is a big plus for me in the job market here in China. Fairly recently I've met both Africans and Chinese-Americans on 50 RMB/40-minute class. They seem happy enough with that, but I wouldn't be. I'm looking for at least 67 RMB for such work, and I know that's just average pay. However, it's enough for me, provided that there is no stress imposed on me by my employer. That's why I'd never enter the private sector. I'd much rather work minimal hours for 5,000 a month than be under pressure for 10,000.

#2 Parent Dragonized - 2012-10-28

I have just bought 30 x 9-packs of 600ml Chinese beer in bottles. Maybe it'll last me for two months, not bad for 360 Yuan. Special offer, winter price!

That's your lifestyle and how you choose to live. But for younger folks I think 5,000 yuan isn't much at all. I met 2 girls working normal jobs who blew 30,000 yuan going on vacation in the southern part of china and they didn't come back with much stuff, maybe a few duffel bags worth. I also think that if you want to have a change of pace in life with going on vacations, reading chinese books, going to the movie theaters, etc. you will find that this money doesn't take you very far at all.

As for you kids, I will not judge them if they like doing their jobs. But most younger chinese people who made under 3,000 yuan I had met were always complaining about life in one way or another. The mindset of people there is to make more money no matter what the cost. The inequality of income in that place is horrid, and it's a sure hell for young folks with ideals and dreams.

#3 Parent foxy - 2012-10-28

And no, 5,000 a month isn't much in China nowadays

Nope, you're absolutely wrong! My Chinese stepdaughter and stepson have both been working for approx 4 years to date. They're both on < 2,000 a month and work long hours.
BTW, I have just bought 30 x 9-packs of 600ml Chinese beer in bottles. Maybe it'll last me for two months, not bad for 360 Yuan. Special offer, winter price!

Cheers!

#4 Parent San Migs - 2012-10-27

for 5,000 RMB a month pay goes a long way locally. If you can't suggest a better deal than that,[edited]. Get your priorities out of the clouds, man! KTV and western restaurants/supermarkets are just frills!

Actually, I think silverboy has worked for around that figure and doesn't want to work at TC's for higher pay and the stress involved. Why don't you get your priorities right? I don't think silverboy is into ktvs and doesnt like western food so much except for a steak on occasion as he has mentioned on these boards, he likes chinese food, such as jiaozi.

And no, 5,000 a month isn't much in China nowadays. Even hairdessers can pull more per month, get your head out of the clouds.....

#5 Parent realistic - 2012-10-27

Who cares what THEY think of us? Perchance you're too proud, and should exit China ASAP! As a practising FT in China, there are more important considerations for me (any many of my foreign colleagues) than the bull you highlight.
The main things are job security and the effort one has to put in for the pay. If they are favorable, that's paramount. If YOU can impart valuable knowledge as to WHERE a better deal is to be found for me, then put your money where your mouth is - divulge!
In China, 12 60-minute hrs per week of teaching as a FULL-TIME job in the public sector for 5,000 RMB a month pay goes a long way locally. If you can't suggest a better deal than that,[edited]. Get your priorities out of the clouds, man! KTV and western restaurants/supermarkets are just frills! We can give them a miss, and by doing thus,we will have money to burn, though we needn't fling it around as if there's no tomorrow. Get realistic!

Return to Index › Re: EF Hangzhou Grades Corruption

Go to another board -