TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: ESL/EFL courses & certification
#1 Parent San Migs - 2012-11-27
Re: ESL/EFL courses & certification

I take it you mean a postgraduate degree, a master's, when you write MA.

Yes, as masters degree or MA in it's short form.

I agree with you.

Thanks.

Even though new university graduates in the west are having a tough time landing an initial non-deadend jobs, they do not flock to the PRC in droves. Maybe there are two reasons: the western media portrays China in a bad light regularly is one. The other is that it takes people who are adventurous to travel so far from their homelands to China to teach. There are not many who would risk it for a biscuit!

True, but given the economic fallout of the eurozone it is still an attractive option. I met an italian guy in HK who told me China was heaven for him as he would otherwise be twiddling his thumbs in southern italy receiving a meagre benefits payment from the government, with not much hope of securing good employment. Whether it is that way for people in the UK, not sure. I'd agree the media taints peoples views though, you are right there!

As for many Chinese employers favoring job applicants with teaching experience, I'd say this is because they have learnt this through experience.

Experience can be learnt. Everyone goes through a baptism of fire when they come to China, in one way or another

Strangely, the original poster has removed his post. That's why I've decided not to post in this thread in the future.

That is strange, just curious on as to why?

#2 Parent foxy - 2012-11-27

There may well come a day in China when a MA is a requirement for the public sector for foreigners, but I personally reckon that wont be for a long time yet.

I take it you mean a postgraduate degree, a master's, when you write MA. I agree with you. Even though new university graduates in the west are having a tough time landing an initial non-deadend jobs, they do not flock to the PRC in droves. Maybe there are two reasons: the western media portrays China in a bad light regularly is one. The other is that it takes people who are adventurous to travel so far from their homelands to China to teach. There are not many who would risk it for a biscuit!
As for many Chinese employers favoring job applicants with teaching experience, I'd say this is because they have learnt this through experience. Perhaps some of their former FTs who hadn't taught before coming to China didn't teach well after arriving here.
Strangely, the original poster has removed his post. That's why I've decided not to post in this thread in the future.

#3 Parent San Migs - 2012-11-26

Many Chinese employers know that experience is more important than paper qualifications

I find that interesting given how the chinese themselves put so much emphasis on paper qualifications. Lots study for a MA abroad after doing a degree overseas, or in China. Many unis in the UK are crammed with post grad chinese students.

There may well come a day in China when a MA is a requirement for the public sector for foreigners, but I personally reckon that wont be for a long time yet.

Regards
SMGS

#4 Parent foxy - 2012-11-26

It hasn't bothered me that much since I am highly qualified with several PhDs, and I am still receiving job offers from China for special uni positions as a foreign professor. But that may be rather the exception than the rule.

I am still receiving job offers here in China, but I'm retired now. I have no Tefl qualification, or anything like that - just a BSc degree. I think until a person is 65 in China, he (or she) can get a teaching job, in the public or the private sector fairly easily.
Of course, jobs like teaching oral to senior middle school students aren't paricularly demanding, and involve neither assessment of students nor any marking - a proverbial walk in the park! Many Chinese employers know that experience is more important than paper qualifications. I think that in this respect, they have more sense than most Western employers. Turnoi, as you know, I was a professor at Hua Qiao University of Changchun for a whole semester, but I didn't let it go to my head!

Return to Index › Re: ESL/EFL courses & certification

Go to another board -