TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Volunteering without paying a fee
#1 Parent extc - 2012-11-27
Re: Volunteering without paying a fee

Buckland in Yangshuo can do this, although the helpful Canadian couple that used to be there have left. When I was there, there was no charge for volunteering.

Frederic - 2012-11-26
Volunteering without paying a fee

Can anyone out there advise me as to where to find a volunteer organization that does not charge the volunteer a (high) fee? What I am looking for is a volunteer organization that is established in the target country instead of one based in the U.S. where it costs much more to run (than in the target country). I am fully aware that it costs money to run such an organization...and often, donations may not be enough. In this regard, I suppose it's ok to charge a reasonable fee to help cover operating cost. But what I have seen so far are exorbitant charges. Some, charge over $700 for the privilege of volunteering for two weeks! And that doesn't include the cost of travel which the volunteer has to pay out of pocket...and other incidentals (and will not be reimbursed later). In most cases, accommodations for volunteers and meals are provided by generous families in the community where the volunteer will be working. So the agency doesn't pay for accommodations and meals. So why the exorbitant fee?

I suppose, it's ok for those volunteers who have the money to pay for the privilege of giving their time and energy. But there are some truly dedicated volunteers who just can't afford the high fees charged by these agencies. Perhaps I am being too naive to expect to find a volunteer organization/agency who will not charge me to volunteer my services. I hope I am wrong. Thanks, anyone who can provide the information I'm looking for.

Return to Index › Volunteering without paying a fee

Go to another board -