TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › teaching second time round - ESL discussion
#1 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-06-25
If you don't leave you may hurt me later - ESL discussion

If you stay at this job enduring all the abuse you describe in your post, you'll hurt guys like me later. See, I don't put up with crap like this long enough to even make a post asking for advice about it.

If you do stay, you'll finish up your contract and then the school will go looking for your replacement. They may find ME, a fire-breathing pit-bull of the TEFL teacher ranks, or someone very similiar to me. I'd walk into the classes you left behind--classes whose students who think they can abuse the white face at will. And guess what happens next?

The school will be suddenly, and I do mean SUDDENLY, without that white face. Said white face then has to hit the streets all over again looking for a job. He doesn't like to do that--especially after he's gotten his hopes up that this job could be that
ever-elusive 'great job'.

So please--I beg you. Get out of there before everyone from the director on down gets it set in their minds that this sort of thing is acceptable. They won't like what happens if I am next to arrive at your school.

RT

#2 Parent The Joker - 2005-06-24
Leave - ESL discussion

Life is too short. Just leave and let these little animals stew in their own ignorance. :)

#3 Parent Elephant - 2005-06-23
This job may keep affecting you long after you've left

Jinchafa is right on the money.

I'd add that you had better get your head right before going to a new teaching job. If you don't, you may be overcome with anxiety and you'll worry that your new students will be exactly like your present little ##. So, this present job has the potential to keep on hurting you well after you've gone someplace else, be it soon (resignation) or later (contract completion).

#4 Parent Elephant - 2005-06-23
TEFL Teaching--the glorified babysitting gig - ESL discussion

Hey, it's no surprise you're having such troubles. In Asia, we TEFL teachers are mostly nothing more than glorified babysitters. Yeah, I know it's hard to admit. I know we all want to think we're making a difference here in Asia. Unfortunately, most of our students don't really want to learn English. At least not while in high school.

For every student who actually WANTS to learn English in my classes, I have nine who don't. Sure, the Thai government forces its students to learn English, but not one official bothered to ask the students if they really want to learn English. Most of them don't, but the government here says they have to be crammed into English classes anyway.

When I've had students in Thailand act up just like they're doing in your class, I've immediately cancelled the class and walked back to my office. The very next class following the cancelled class usually has been but a collection of angels ready to learn. But not always. I've had a few back-to-back cancellations.

Try cancelling YOUR classes of miscreants and see what happens. If this doesn't help, pack your bags and head for the exit.

I used to wonder why people quit this TEFL business after only a short while. After only a few days teaching in Thailand, I became fully aware of the answer.

I just wish my TEFL outfit would have told me I'd be nothing but a babysitter before coming. Beore I laid out my 1600 USD for the fancy-smancy course/cert.

Good luck.

Elephant

#5 Parent jinchafa - 2005-06-23
second time around - ESL discussion

Yes,I have to agree with RT; move on. Life is too short to deal with being miserable for the length of time you've apparently dealt with it.
My guess is that your current students are mostly little rich kids and therefore the product of an upbringing that has left out even the time honored Confucian ethic of respect for teachers. Even worse is the fact that as they fail to learn or show progress in their studies the blame will fall on you.

Personally, I wouldn't put up with the kind of behavior you've outlined for even half a second. In fact, I always establish quite early in my classes that I have no reservations about showing students the door for lesser infractions than you're dealing with; moreover, it's become somewhat of a game in my classes. As soon as there is any disruptive behavior, my students begin anticipating my reaction, and when I finally respond by pointing to the door and to the student at fault there is a chorus of "bye-bye." Noone wants to be on the receiving end of the "bye-bye." In Asia, even children know about losing face.

However, it seems that your classes have reached the point of no return. It's too late to establish discipline and, as I said, they're probably a bunch of spoiled little rich kids anyway. So, my advice is skeedaddle on outta there.

#6 Parent SiamSap - 2005-06-23
The two reasons to quit any job - ESL discussion

Reason #1:
Your boss isn't being honest with you.

Reason #2:
The job is causing you to feel differently about yourself, the students, or the job itself.

Let's see if your situation applies:

Reason #1:
NONE

Reason #2:

"I have been pretty miserable for the past 4/5 months at the hagwon l am currently teaching at"

"I just don't understand why l have gone from being quite a happy, easy going person in the classroom, to an angry miserable punchbag for little children"
Sounds obvious to me what you need to do.

Go do it.

#7 Parent BD - 2005-06-22
Go! Now! - ESL discussion

Why would you stay at a job you do not like? Get out of there! There are plenty of other jobs out there for an experienced teacher like you.

#8 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-06-22
Get outta there - ESL discussion

Why are you putting up with it? Resign and go teach elsewhere.

RT

LC - 2005-06-21
teaching second time round - ESL discussion

Hello,

I could really do with some advice from fellow ESl teachers.

I am currently teaching in Seoul, South korea in a school with students aged 7 - 17. I taught for a year in Daejeon with similiar ages, ejoyed my time and would like to think l had a good relationship with the children. I had good students, not so good students, classes l loved, classes l wasn't so keen on etc..... All in all it was an interesting experience and l decided that l would like to teach at a hagwon for a second year.

This story is not so positive, however. I have been pretty miserable for the past 4/5 months at the hagwon l am currently teaching at. My boss pays me on time, but the kids behaviour is very bad.

When l say bad l mean refusing to do activities, sometimes hitting me and swearing a lot in my lessons. In my first week at the school l would walk into certain lessons and the students would completely ingnore me, shouting a conversation over the classroom for the 50 minute period. I have really struggled to get them to listen or take interest in what l am trying hard to do infront of the classroom. They are (this school is 80 percent boys by the way) quite hostile towards me and l am ashamed to say that l have resorted to shouting and marker throwing as a means of getting their attention and as some kind of discipline. Not good.

Anyway l go to school at least an hour early to prepare for the lessons and make materials, so it's not that l don't prepare or don't care. I have tried to talk to my boss, but he just gives them candy all the time because it is his way of "handling the children". I know an unhappy teacher, angry teacher etc... is a bad teacher, but l don't know what l have done wrong or why l can't get through to these children.

I just don't understand why l have gone from being quite a happy, easy going person in the classroom, to an angry miserable punchbag for little children. They don't have much respect for my boss either and shout at him if they don't get "candy" ( the word candy will haunt me forever). The kids also draw on the walls in marker pen and are allowed to play games on the teacher's computers ( we have a desk each with a flat screen) I have tried all kinds of things to teach them, but nothing seems to work. I am running out of steam. The boys (well they do make up 80 percent of the school) are getting more hostile, especially as summers are very hot out here and uncomfortable.

Any advice or any response at all would be really welcome.

LC

Return to Index › teaching second time round - ESL discussion

Go to another board -