TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Teaching English with your husband and baby?
#1 Parent foxy - 2012-12-23
Re: Teaching English with your husband and baby?

Fox, I have no idea what you are referring to in your short post. What are you diametrically opposed to? Can you elaborate?

I simply mean that it's wise to teach in China at a state-run educational establishment rather than at a private sector educational establishment in terms of job security, minimal clock hours at work, rent-free convenient apartmental accommodation and your employer having the decency to abide by the terms and conditions of your contract and its appendix.

#2 Parent Mancunian - 2012-12-22

Thanks Manchurian for your thoughts.
No, its not that I would necessarily "use" the fact that I have a toddler as a selling point to get a job, I just wondered how common it is for couples with little toddlers to do this kind of thing.

Fox, I have no idea what you are referring to in your short post. What are you diametrically opposed to? Can you elaborate?

I want our daughter to be exposed to a completely different culture at an early age in a society where one doesn't have to worry about some crazy gunman to storm into the classroom and shoot as I can just imagine what is probably going to result with the aftermath of the recent tragedy in the US.
Even though we are in Canada, I see that many schools and parents have really become more and more "helicopter" supervisors than when I was growing up.
Japan or Korea would probably be ideal for us, but then learning Mandarin in China would also be hugely advantageous for the future as French is certainly not going to be as necessary as a second language anymore

As I said, my dear, I can only talk about China. You won't have any problems in China. I recently worked in an English Centre alongside a black American lady(a genuine American, not one who merely claimed she was from that country) and she had a babe in arms; she was made very welcome, and they even found her a babysitter. Sadly in her case, not having a partner, made life too difficult for her, but when she left it was all amicable.

So you are Canadian; does that mean you have another string to your bow? I've known the odd FT teaching French and English in China. Have a Gay Christmas, and do it.

#3 Parent Mancunian - 2012-12-22

Hi Mancunian! Yuncheng IELTS' client schools are in the main public senior middle schools. Chances are that an FT working for said agent will be teaching in the public sector. But his/her salary and other monetary benefits will be provided by the agent, not the school itself. Obviously, the school pays the agent, who pays the FT in turn. Teaching on behalf of said agent isn't much different from teaching at a public senior high. There are advantages in that the agent arranges the FT's accommodation and provides a teaching assistant. A further advantage is that the agent knows the situation at each of the client schools, and will try to place the FT in a work environment that will suit the foreigner's teaching ability, and so prevent problems between the FT and the Chinese teachers at the client school. The teaching assistant is there not only to be an interpreter in class, but also to advise the FT what and how to teach so as to keep the majority of his/her students happy with the teaching.
At Yuncheng IELTS, you'll get what it says on the tin! Working direct for private sector employers such as private schools or training centers does not guarantee that. Furthermore, it's likely that the FT's teaching method and interaction with students will be much more under the microscope!

Hello Foxy
You will know better than I do, that Mr River of Yuncheng IELTS is the HEADMASTER; he is called the headmaster and he calls himself the headmaster. Yuncheng IELTS calls itself a school, and as it is private, it must be a Private School. I am sure that they would also consider themselves a centre of learning; the hub, where the spokes connect to state middle schools; so they would also lay claim to being an English Centre. That said, it is of course a first class private school, and would not thank us downgrading it to an agency.

#4 Parent foxy - 2012-12-22

Hi Mancunian! Yuncheng IELTS' client schools are in the main public senior middle schools. Chances are that an FT working for said agent will be teaching in the public sector. But his/her salary and other monetary benefits will be provided by the agent, not the school itself. Obviously, the school pays the agent, who pays the FT in turn. Teaching on behalf of said agent isn't much different from teaching at a public senior high. There are advantages in that the agent arranges the FT's accommodation and provides a teaching assistant. A further advantage is that the agent knows the situation at each of the client schools, and will try to place the FT in a work environment that will suit the foreigner's teaching ability, and so prevent problems between the FT and the Chinese teachers at the client school. The teaching assistant is there not only to be an interpreter in class, but also to advise the FT what and how to teach so as to keep the majority of his/her students happy with the teaching.
At Yuncheng IELTS, you'll get what it says on the tin! Working direct for private sector employers such as private schools or training centers does not guarantee that. Furthermore, it's likely that the FT's teaching method and interaction with students will be much more under the microscope!

#5 Parent Mancunian - 2012-12-21

A job in a private school or English Centre would be best,

You're entitled to your opinion, but I have a diametrically opposite view to yours, and I have posted to provide my opinion. Necessary, as every story has two sides!

Hello Foxy

Forgive me but Yuncheng IELTS, like to call themselves a school, and since they are also private, we have Yuncheng IELTS, Private School. Don't get me wrong Foxy, I know that Yuncheng IELTS is a good school, they send their teachers to different middle schools ,do they not, but they do have a small classroom at their offices, and a blackboard, to boot? Yuncheng IELTS would indeed be a fair place for that family actually; as opposed to a university, where you are likely to be stuck on campus. Other types of private schools I think would suit them better though. I concur with you 100%, different opinion are healthy. cheers&beers.

#6 Parent Shayna - 2012-12-21

Thanks Manchurian for your thoughts.
No, its not that I would necessarily "use" the fact that I have a toddler as a selling point to get a job, I just wondered how common it is for couples with little toddlers to do this kind of thing.

I want our daughter to be exposed to a completely different culture at an early age in a society where one doesn't have to worry about some crazy gunman to storm into the classroom and shoot as I can just imagine what is probably going to result with the aftermath of the recent tragedy in the US.
Even though we are in Canada, I see that many schools and parents have really become more and more "helicopter" supervisors than when I was growing up.
Japan or Korea would probably be ideal for us, but then learning Mandarin in China would also be hugely advantageous for the future as French is certainly not going to be as necessary as a second language anymore

#7 Parent foxy - 2012-12-21

A job in a private school or English Centre would be best,

You're entitled to your opinion, but I have a diametrically opposite view to yours, and I have posted to provide my opinion. Necessary, as every story has two sides!

#8 Parent Mancunian - 2012-12-21

I was just wondering how common it is, or if this happens at all, that schools hire husband and wife teams that want to experience something different with their toddler.
Are there any sites or recommendations for a family: wife, husband and toddler, to get an ESL job in some exotic location? We love South East Asia, Japan and are also very intrigued by Korea. I previously taught English in China, so I am more familiar with it, but it could also be a possibility.
If jobs in this situation are rare, what about volunteer opportunities where accomodation would be free. Maybe somewhere in Africa?

Just don't end up working for nothing, please, as it is often a big con and takes away livings from foreign teachers who need to work for a crust of bread.

I only know about China; whereas, I don't think Chinese school bosses think it any advantage in employing couples complete with toddler, in my experience it has not been a disadvantage either. I have even worked for schools where other FT's have had young babies, and they have been made most welcome by the Chinese. You should apply for jobs in the normal way, without trying to use your little free-spirit as a selling point. A job in a private school or English Centre would be best, they are cleaner than government schools, but either way you should make sure your child is well immunised against Hepatitis b, since young children can easily become carriers, eventually ending up with a chronic disease. Hepatitis A needs to be covered for also, because although the Chinese are a nice friendly people they are not hot on food hygiene.

You should put your profiles on ESL sites without delay. There is no need to mention your child initially, it can come out when negotiations takes place, after a recruiter has interested a school with the prospects of having, whichever one of you is going to be the main breadwinner. You both won't be able to sign a contract for a position; however, Chinese students make good babysitters, so there will be scope for hubby to also do some teaching.

Shayna - 2012-12-21
Teaching English with your husband and baby?

I was just wondering how common it is, or if this happens at all, that schools hire husband and wife teams that want to experience something different with their toddler.
Are there any sites or recommendations for a family: wife, husband and toddler, to get an ESL job in some exotic location? We love South East Asia, Japan and are also very intrigued by Korea. I previously taught English in China, so I am more familiar with it, but it could also be a possibility.
If jobs in this situation are rare, what about volunteer opportunities where accomodation would be free. Maybe somewhere in Africa?

Return to Index › Teaching English with your husband and baby?

Go to another board -