TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: No, not quite the bottom
#1 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-03
Re: No, not quite the bottom

If you look at Chinese history and the genocides that were committed, the worst, most heinous atrocities were almost always carried out by the Chinese themselves. You would hear from a modern day Chinese how the Mongols and Manchus and Japanese did this and that to them but in fact the Chinese Soldier(employed by Japan) : Japanese Soldier ratio between 1931 and the end of WWII was 11:1 by some accounts. Local Chinese Warlords and Militants always did massacres that at least equaled that of foreign invaders throughout the country's history, usually surpassing them.

Some historians came up with reliable numbers on the huge reductions of native Chinese populations every time there was a change in the ruling Dynasty. The last 2,000 years in China has seen some of the worst atrocities of mankind including rampant cannibalism. This mean the women and children were eaten, along with sometimes the old and weak. When 15 - 40 million people being killed off unnaturally(disease, famine, murder) every 150 years or so comprises a "lesser" number you know you've got a problem in the culture. Even the writer Lu Xun acknowledged this.

The scary thing about genocide committed by the Chinese is that there is no specific historical account of exactly what had happened. When the Chinese want to wipe you off the face of the earth, they mean it both literally and figuratively(not even the "legend" of something being left). Westerners as well as other expats who want to understand the dark side of Chinese culture would do well to cowboy up a bit and have the courage to look into things that the Chinese say more instead of doing the "Whew! We though THEY would do that but they didn't! The world is okay after all!" shennanigan.

I want to finish up by telling you Silverboy that I didn't like many of the seemingly generalizations you made about China in the past when I first came on here. But with time and effort I realize that although some of the ugly things in life can be painful to think through, it has to be done for the truth. I've come full circle and I am glad to agree with you on yet another issue you have brought up. Let's hope more people understand that suspicions from the past can in fact be forward thinking ideas into the future.

Return to Index › Re: No, not quite the bottom

Go to another board -