TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Teaching English with your husband and baby?
#1 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-03
Re: Good idea

I did post another response to one of your more recent posts before seeing this one so if you see my response please don't take things too personally. But I am happy to end this conversation. We can shake hands and leave the table as gentlemen. Have a nice day.

#2 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-03
Re: No, not quite the bottom

No hard feelings then.

I think you'll actually find if we were to discuss more specific aspects of life in china for an ft we would share many experiences and opinions on them. Perhaps we'll get the chance another time. Personally speaking tomorrow is my final day of the term and then I'm migrating to the south for a few weeks to avoid the worst of the winter so perhaps this is a logical time to call it quits.

#3 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-03

ASTF, I can see from what you've written that you might mean well enough. So I don't think I will escalate things any further. I am truly sorry if I made you think like I was on some high pedestal, but the fact is I only wanted to be straightforward with my points. I do not know you personally any better than you know me, and you have been civil enough compared to past posters who have disagreed with me that I will not assume the worst in any way whatsoever about where you're coming from.

I will say this and I do have to say this is touching more personal things: I grew up around enough Chinese people to know the family dynamics. My neighbor of mixed heritage has mixed Chinese blood. I have had enough experience going back to my childhood all the way to high school learning, understanding, laughing, and crying with them to know both the problems and the good, an anthropologist would call this "participant observation". In no way though am I speaking out of arrogance when I say this but perhaps sometimes the biggest critics are the ones who want to see you be the most successful. I knew even at a younger age what potential problems could come to China including the social strife that you see today. But being too open minded can mean you take in too much shyte and you end up believing official propaganda. I was taken aback by the abuse that I was put through at the places I worked at in China. But what's most disappointing is the fact that I see Chinese willingly making a choice to stand back and do nothing about so many things in their society. That saddens me and it makes me feel like I wasted so much time learning about them, but I am getting over that.

You I think mean well about not labeling such a big group of people and you want others to be more fair in their opinions. I can say to you that I respect how you feel and you can take my words with a pinch of salt if you must. But you can also take it to the bank that I will not back down from my beliefs, and if people want me to change they must show with their behavior that they're willing to admit mistakes and not have underhanded agendas. Unfortunately too many people I came across in China had that. Now I do not smoke, drink, or go to pink rooms so I have made an effort to avoid too many Chinese folks who might be more shady. I always try to give the benefit of the doubt, especially when it's making an opinion towards a whole country or culture.

#4 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-03

how exactly can I provide absolute proof of this to you?

How about I give you the scouts honor?

"On my honor it is so"

There you go. Satisfied?

#5 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-03

Your personal experience while valid to a point can not be used to draw conclusions about all Chinese people, in any place at anytime. I'm going to make an educated guess that their have been visitors from foreign lands to America who might have got food poisoning in the local burger shop, got mugged on the subway or been abused by a gang of rednecks. If they were on this site crying about how awful the Americans are, how they are all dirty, violent hillbillies who are not fit to tie their shoes I'd imagine you'd feel justified in saying "hang on a minute, that's not right" and I would heartily support you.

Furthermore, I have seen no example from you of bad behavior that you could say is limited only to the Chinese. You talk about things like 'prying into other people's lives'. Are you seriously suggesting that in any office in the west that there wouldn't be some piece of gossip flying around the break room at 11am about who is diddling who? Look at the phone tapping scandal in the UK of late. Do you know why the tabloids tap celebs phones? Because we, the western public, love prying into the lives of others, We have entire industries dedicated to doing so!
I am not arguing that the things that happened to you weren't bad. If they had happened to me I'd be pretty peeved too but I wouldn't make the unfortunate mistake of transferring this anger towards every person who I perceive to be associated with those who have done me wrong. You can use big fancy moral words like compassion and empathy all you want but from your own perspective which you continue to make very clear to all and sundry it is hard to see how in your hate filled state you would be able to demonstrate them either.

I know for a fact that a majority of Chinese think like this as well

How? How do you know? I wouldn't be so foolish as to make such a brazen statement about my own country, my own city, my own street or even those close to me let alone an alien culture which includes over a billion people. What a stupid thing to say!

You would be surprised at how many ethnic Chinese people who have immigrated to other countries do not think about China on such favorable terms.

Again, you can wriggle all you want but there is a difference between describing a country even your own country in 'unfavorable terms' and of making statements that suggest the people of that country are of a lower quality. I guess that these Chinese people living in the states didn't come up to you and start the conversation by saying "excuse me mr. Dragonized, I'm sorry to bother you, what with me being a lower quality individual and all but I just wanted to say thank you because I don't know what me or my fellow countrymen would have done without the shining light that is the western world". I'm British(there you go, you wanted to know something about me) and speaking in unfavorable terms about our own country is a national past time for us but I heartily invite you to stroll into a British pub find a nice looking Englishman and tell him "I think you're of lower quality than me" and see what the reaction will be. he's not going to buy you a drink!
#6 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-03

San migs. Do you actually know the figures that you are asking me to supply? Like the dragonized poster it's very easy to challenge people with these kind of questions in a matter of fact way that suggests there must be some truth to them, I'd suggest that it's somewhat harder to actually provide the detail but I look forward to you doing so.

P.s. I think most economists would agree that the number of public libraries in a country doesn't really indicate the level to which it's economy could be termed as capitalist.

As for china being capitalist, you won't get any argument from me although I do think that certain aspects of their socio-economic set up are essentially backward when you consider them in capitalist terms. As a brief example, consider walking into almost any shop or restaurant in this country. You could comfortably fire half the people in it and still have enough staff left for doing business. Yet Despite the existence of trade unions in Europe and America, unnecessary or inefficient workers in unprofitable businesses in the west have and will continue to be laid off left, right and centre.

#7 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-02

Haha it's amusing when you accuse me of being racist, you must feel that I'm using the old White Man's Burden argument and that I've always looked down on chinese people or wanted a reason to, nothing could be further from the truth!

I will spare the novel that is my life of how I've always wanted to visit and work in china and how I took it upon myself to learn chinese to the point of fluency, not that you care. It was my time working in china that turned my world upside down. The chinese are the most socio-economic obsessed group of people I have ever met! This goes hand in hand with racism which most of them practice as well! All of the ugly adjectives you accused me of being would be a much much better description towards the local Chinese.

The last training center I worked at, a Chinese American commented how embarrassing it was for him to make a salary that was 25 percent lower than that of a fellow white faced teacher who wasn't as good at teaching. Why don't you call him racist as well?

I want to treat everyone equally, I expect respectable and civil behavior in return. This does not include prying into someone's personal life for personal gain, dumping on others to promote a certain political agenda, promoting barbaric behavior such as child abuse and sexism, and a general disrespect for boundaries including taking other people's possessions without asking them. I have unfortunately experienced all of these living in china. I have also met a few good people who were both expats and chinese whom I still keep in contact with.

Your problem is you're not willing to step into other people's shoes and think even for a second that another person's life might be different from yours. What only matters are the things that you yourself have experienced. I know for a fact that a majority of Chinese think like this as well, which leads to tripe and nonsense replacing compassion and empathy. But you're amongst folks who think like you, so no wonder you're so grateful and comfortable. I will tell you it's got nothing to do with me. I prefer to spend time with people who are more reciprocal no matter what they look like.

You would be surprised at how many ethnic Chinese people who have immigrated to other countries do not think about China on such favorable terms. Having both read and spoken with some of these people you might be calling them the KKK or Aryan Nationiites! LOL!

#8 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-02

Believe me, i have taken into consideration what you have written and yes, I admit it, I find fault in almost everything you say!

But when your rhetoric is that Chinese people are not equal to others then I think it's perfectly acceptable for me to consider anything you write as being a load of old tripe! I mean here you are promoting the virtues of the west, countries that for the most part were built in some large part on the principle that all men are equal and yet you come out with statements like "china as a whole has lower quality people than other countries".

When you come out with hypocritical, non-sensical and racist points then you can expect for me to take them and hit you over the head with them. If you can't handle that then I strongly suggest you do follow your own advice and stop paying attention.

#9 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-02

And China is far more capitalist than the UK, or the USA is, at this moment in time.

How many trade unions are there in China?

How many free to the public libraries?

How many options for free education/training/night classes?

China is capitalism on steroids, compared to capitalism in any western country.

#10 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-02

I currently work less than 10 clock hours a week.

Actually most public jobs are anything from 14-18 class hours a week, so what you say really cannot be true, can it?

Provide evidence to back up your assertion, otherwise what you assert is meaningless!

#11 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-02

Naughty naughty dragonized!

I think the exact words you used were "the harsh reality of being home and being on the verge of applying for food stamps". Sounds a little bit stronger than "to consider" , doesn't it? Seems that twisting of words goes both ways eh?

Anyway I'm off to enjoy a nice dirty Chinese lunch. [edited]

#12 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-02

Yeah you're probably right. I mean how did they manage to survive all those millennia before great nations such as the USA came into existence and gave them things like KFC, Hershey's and high quality teachers such as yourself. It's a mystery

#13 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-02

Ahh yes the land of opportunity ....... Where any old tom, dick or harry could rise to power and put right all of the previous wrongs. Just remind me how much it costs to run as president of the US? Seems like only those who are part of and benefitting from the system could afford to run for president. Doesn't seem likely they'll to be making too many changes to that system, does it?

The world we live in is a capitalist world and capitalism doesn't deal in opportunity. In fact it is the polar opposite of opportunity.

#14 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-02

So it's ok to enjoy China so long as you are enjoying it within the parameters that you have set out? The foxy poster fortunately falls within those parameters but unfortunately poor old Kev and quite a few other posters over the years haven't been enjoying themselves in quite the right way.

Yet you have the cheek to suggest that brother Kev isn't willing to see other viewpoints.......

Kev my friend, you keep on enjoying this life in whatever way makes you happy.

#15 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-01

If America falls, Europe falls. The West falls, we fall. - Oriana Fallaci

Her words ring more and more true as the days go by. I wonder where China would be today without western countries? Probably had nothing better to do, so she would've wiped herself out with all the infighting.

#16 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-01

You can go to Thailand, Cambodia, Nepal, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan and hundreds of other countries who can provide free accommodation and crappy pay. You need to be certified in education as in having some sort of state recognized piece of paper (if you're American).

Your problem, Kevin is you are just like the chinese. You believe that it's okay for you to badmouth western countries but nobody should dare attack china in your holy presence. You don't have the certifications, the wits, nor the drive to make things better for yourself. Foxy already stated that he prefers china not just because of easy workloads but also because of cheap beer, cheap cigarettes, and he has his woman there. I left him alone for that since he chooses this way of life for himself.

You on the other hand, just don't like seeing opposing viewpoints and can't be mature enough to respond like an adult. How old are you?

#17 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-01

Look in the mirror, buddy.

#18 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-01

THEY CAN"T OFFER US ANY ALTERNATIVES!

No need to SHOUT! Kindly remove the finger off the caps key, it is against netiquette and won't do you any favours.

There are alternatives, you are just too stubborn to look into them.

#19 Parent Kev - 2013-01-01

Where else, apart from China, can you do a 'fulltime' job for a fulltime pay much higher than your Chinese colleagues while teaching just 12 hours a week and living in rent-free accommodation?

Very good question, fox - you've got the China-haters on the run!

Let Silverboy and those other posters who decry living and teaching in China answer the question you've asked. THEY CAN"T OFFER US ANY ALTERNATIVES! Best they shut up!

#20 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-01

Where else, apart from China, can you do a 'fulltime' job for a fulltime pay much higher than your Chinese colleagues while teaching just 12 hours a week and living in rent-free accommodation?
My country is short of maths teachers, and I'm fully qualified to teach it. I've never considered returning there to teach. Disciplinary problems, no rent-free accommodation, and a low standard of living while working much harder and longer than I have to here in China have caused me to stay put in this vast country for 18 years. I'd have to be a bloody fool to return to my homeland to impoverish myself. If you can teach a bit, China beats the west by miles. And you can live well without becoming a grovelling weasel. As a foreigner here, you get much respect, earned or not, the point is that you get it. So different from the West!
And beautiful Chinese women are to be had. That's a big plus too, as is the food.
I know there are negatives here, but they are far outweighed by the positives, and unlike most Chinese people and some idiotic westerners who post on here who state people have a duty to remain loyal to their homelands, I feel I have no obligation whatsoever to remain loyal to my homeland, and certainly do not. It doesn't offer me what China does, nowhere near it. End of story!

Foxy, firstly happy 2013, I hope it finds you happier than you were in 2012.

I'm going to respond to your post, and you may not like what I have to say, but I feel I have a right to respond, it is a free forum after all.

You can teach 18 hours a week in the gulf states and earn far more than you could in China, granted it is not 12 hours a week, but they cover your rent so you have enough left over to save. This is not campus accomodation by the way, but a big villa or nice apartment nowhere near the college. Rents are cheap as I mentioned, so you can save some from your renting allowance for food, beer or petrol if you have a car. Sorry, but 5,500 rmb per month and a free flat is no longer big money in China or the rest of the world, I know we have been back and forth over this, but in the big cities, the days of cheap eating out and small coins having any use are gone. Perhaps in a rural area where you are with a pension and funds it is very good, but for the majority of FT's who are saving away and not living in the rural areas, many chinese are earning far far more, perhaps even in the rural area where you are. I will agree for a retired person like yourself who has probably had enough of work however 12 hours is not demanding, not at all. Just depends on the students and how much of a pain in the arse your FAO could be imho.

I don't agree you would be impoverishing yourself in your homeland or another country outside of China. How would you know unless you tried? Nothing against you personally, but I find China tends to make people lazy and put aside any wish to change or look for anything better or different. But 18 years, I doff my hat to you sir, Hu jintao should give you a medal, that is an impressive service indeed. I bet you have a lot of interesting tales to tell, would be nice to hear some over a few beers one day from a veteran of the trenches like yourself. My shout, of course.

Respect? Well, I'm not really looking for that when I go to China, I just want to be fairly paid and treated. Beautiful Chinese woman, heard more nightmare stories, you want to date those women, you need more than an FT's salary, far more. I will concede to you on the food however, it is great.

You always seem to like putting "End of story!" and well it gets my goat, sorry to say it. It is like saying I only accept my view is right, and I don't want to hear others opposing viewpoints, it comes across as arrogant and is unneeded in my opinion, if you believe in yourself (and I believe you do!) no need to finish your posts on such an aggressive tone, again just me.

Happy 2013 and happy hogmanay,
San Migs

PS. My email is included, I'd welcome any from you, if you don't want to reply on here.

#21 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-01

Foxy, like you I'm a qualified teacher in my own country and like you I choose to stay in china because the advantages of doing so outweigh the disadvantages.

I currently work less than 10 clock hours a week. Every year I teach for 32 weeks but get paid for 10months with a 2month 'travel allowance' for those 2months in the summer when we have nothing to do, plus the usual accommodation, etc. work here is a doddle and its leaves plenty of time to do many other things with my life.

I don't accept this idea that foreign teachers have to sell out or relinquish loyalty to their homeland to survive in this country. My timetable for classes arrives at the beginning of the term, I teach those classes to a decent standard and collect my pay on time and in full every month. I hear virtually nothing from the FAO or other Chinese staff who seem happy to just leave me to it. When I compare this to the hassles of working either in a school in a western country or for a private business who would almost certainly expect me to conform to some kind of corporate mentality then it's my belief that my current situation is just peachy!

Here's to a stress free, happy life where ever in this world you can find it!

#22 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-01

The fact is, it still is a land of opportunity.

It has just suffered from bad government, under a president who inherited a lot of debt and previous problems from GW Bush who I was no fan of personally. Nor do I think Obama is any better, but he inherited a mess. An independent needs to come to power, and put countries and organisations that harm the US and the West, like China, and OPEC firmly in their place. They can't exist without the west, and it needs someone who has some backbone to rule to stand up to them.

#23 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-01

[edited]. You pick out the things I wrote and twist my words around so as to suit your own agenda. I wouldn't be surprised if you were chinese, and I would be a little surprised if you were a real westerner although it wouldn't be so shocking.

Did you actually put in the time to read the rest of what I wrote?? I didn't apply for anything that was governmental aid related, I only said I considered it. I do not think being "able" to buy basic necessities means that is a good thing especially if you're going to lose years off of your life due to it being bad food. Also just because you live somewhere doesn't mean you can't criticize where you live, which is what you're apparently against.

It's obvious you only care about being right with yourself and finding faults in others to make yourself feel better. [edited]. The difference between me and you is I actually take into consideration the stance that others may take and I will point out the flaws for them if I disagree and give a detailed opinion. [edited].

Unless you are willing to show that you can actually think a little bit, I will stop paying attention to you.

#24 Parent foxy - 2013-01-01

I think you are sensible.
My country is short of maths teachers, and I'm fully qualified to teach it. I've never considered returning there to teach. Disciplinary problems, no rent-free accommodation, and a low standard of living while working much harder and longer than I have to here in China have caused me to stay put in this vast country for 18 years. I'd have to be a bloody fool to return to my homeland to impoverish myself. If you can teach a bit, China beats the west by miles. And you can live well without becoming a grovelling weasel. As a foreigner here, you get much respect, earned or not, the point is that you get it. So different from the West!
And beautiful Chinese women are to be had. That's a big plus too, as is the food.
I know there are negatives here, but they are far outweighed by the positives, and unlike most Chinese people and some idiotic westerners who post on here who state people have a duty to remain loyal to their homelands, I feel I have no obligation whatsoever to remain loyal to my homeland, and certainly do not. It doesn't offer me what China does, nowhere near it. End of story!

#25 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-01

The same to you in regards your user name, very accurate and concise!

#26 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-01

despite the harsh reality of being home and being on the verge of applying for food stamps

Who needs empirical data when I can simply draw on your own experience. Presumably the job you had in china provided you with a wage that was high enough to purchase such necessities as food? Yet you return to the states, where you're unable to find a job and are reduced to living off hand outs and still act as if America is 'the land of opportunity'.

#27 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-01

You're not chinese so you don't have to worry about trivial things such as not trusting your own people

Yet in the post directly above this you claim that I

may just be a Chinese
and that
You sound like a 50 cent'er

Which is it?

You contradict yourself at almost every turn! You make arguments based on things like women drivers in Saudi Arabia and feel that it somehow proves a point about Chinese and US society. You find examples (although you never actually post links to these stories) of little old ladies falling over and no one helping them and use them to try and define an entire society as being morally bankrupt. Anyone with an ounce of common sense will simply ignore the overarching and extreme points you make and the non-sensical way that you try and argue them.

#28 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-01

Well that's quite a meaty response to consider, what with you firing off questions rapier like at me without actually pausing to give the answers sufficient consideration yourself. Some of us on this site are actually engaged in gainful employment so why don't you be a good fella and use all that free time you have to find out the answers to these questions yourself seeing as it's your argument that depends on them. It's one thing to criticize someone for using empirical evidence and question the true value of that evidence but it's entirely another to provide no evidence whatsoever for your own arguments.

#29 Parent Dragonized - 2012-12-31

Generally speaking, your response also gives a good example of someone who isn't good at thinking for himself/herself. Due to shortsightedness and a lack of common sense describing you is a pretty accurate statement.

In your 1st article, you argue that the west has higher unemployment, and therefore is worse off and not better. For this you provide a simple graph of pure empirical data void of any facts regarding culture (Do the "happily employed" work 16 hour shifts without breaks while making 200 rmb a month? Does the overall GDP reflect a number that was attained through ethical treatment of individuals? Can developed countries with a system of law providing fundamental human rights compete against a ruthless dictatorship that has no qualms about breaking the backs of hundreds of thousands of prisoners to fuel their cheap labor advantage?) and try to tell us that the end justifies the means.

In your 2nd argument, you provide a link to wikipedia which can be edited by anyone. You again link to a largely technical article which fails to give any accounts as to the history, socio-economic issues, cultural boundaries (a country that doesn't allow women to drive such as Saudi Arabia will surely have fewer traffic fatalities involving female drivers, so that means if I looked at a graph which measured the quantity of traffic fatalities involving female drivers, I am to assume that Saudi Females must be the BEST drivers it the world amongst women??), etc.

In your 3rd article you shoot yourself in the foot. You link to a Guardian article where the journalist is basically reporting what the chinese leaders are saying and in your own opinion you believe it to be true by the words you wrote on this board. Can you tell me where china gets all of her heavy industry technology? Can you tell me where china gets most of her light industrial technology? Do you know how much china relies on the import/export business to maintain her economy? You should know if you are a responsible westerner that if it wasn't for the west that developed the modern technologies including military technology that improved through wars china wouldn't be where she is today. Since China holds the most amount of USA debt are you going to tell me that it was china who paid for the Iraqi and Afghan wars? No you will not because you are incapable of thinking that far. I can tell you that in my opinion your precious guardian article is pure propaganda and china is shamelessly tooting her own horn.

You sound like a 50 cent'er with your opinions, what you're down on your luck so you've sold your soul to the chinese government to write propaganda pieces? Of course viewing enough discussion board responses on all types of forums you may just be a Chinese. Or are you the "Mancunian" poster trying to get back perceived lost ground? Whatever way you cut it you only make your stance seem weaker and weaker. Give it a rest.

#30 Parent Mancunian - 2012-12-31

and despite the harsh reality of being home and being on the verge of applying for food stamps I still appreciate that fact that I have not gone insane due to being around real friends and being in a more cultured environment. You are just trying to justify running away from

If things are that grim and as you are browned off with China, why don't you go and teach English in Europe. I have known three American Ft's in China who went to teach in Spain, and that's pretty cultured. In fact an American flew over and spent Christmas with me in my house in England last year. She now tells me she will going to the UK to teach; not English, but she could do so, just have to remember a few minor spelling differences. I shall arrange for her to have a key because I won't be there by then. You are up against it trying to get a job teaching English in America, as you are hardly short of English teachers there. No, you go to Europe..and Americans usually impress in UK ,so you might get a job. Think big, get galvanised, just do it.

#31 Parent Dragonized - 2012-12-31

And you can talk all day like you have a right to believe you're being "objective" with your comparisons. I have had a hard time getting a steady job since I have been back to the USA. Unlike you I though I don't think my own opinion is the end of all that is, and despite the harsh reality of being home and being on the verge of applying for food stamps I still appreciate that fact that I have not gone insane due to being around real friends and being in a more cultured environment. You are just trying to justify running away from your problems and projecting your own helplessness onto society. I can take the punishment that life throws at me no matter where I go and still keep my spirits up while seeing the big picture, unlike you which probably comes down to a character thing.

I will bet the house that in china you are more likely to get your wallet stolen, your property damaged, and live a shorter life due to the filthy environment. The news links you have posted is old news and you are only exposing your own helplessness by posting them. I find it ironic these days that white folks in western countries want to run off to where their rich brethren invested (follow the money, in other words) while newer immigrants from 3rd world countries adopt the traditions, culture, and values of their respective adopted countries and yet you still want to keep that part of your western identity (the ugly part) of "me first". This goes back to the point I made in some earlier posts on how China's "culture" may not have always been chinese.

There is only a select few group of people who are in control of things in the world of money, and they could not be any happier with the world filled with imbeciles like you who hate their own country as well as their own brethren. I worked for example in Saudi Arabia and the people there showed more genuine kindness than the folks I met in china. That will not take away how I feel about their culture and many of their vices. I could work in a place like china for 10 years and it still wouldn't change my opinion, that's because I have also worked in other developing countries as well and I have spoken in extensive length with the local folks. I know how to think critically and use comparing and contrasting. That includes my own experiences as well as the experiences of societies in general. You obviously don't have that.

If you can read and write chinese as well as knowing how to input chinese then go on google and baidu.com and search for news in china about old people falling down and nobody helping them. I read on some chinese news that in some parts of shanghai that old people in ill health will purposefully hang around expat heavy populations so if they have an accident there will be people around to give them a hand. You're not chinese so you don't have to worry about trivial things such as not trusting your own people to help you. Of course, I doubt you ever want to be chinese when the game is so rigged in your favor.

Expats who are spoiled rotten and feel so entitled like you should not be trusted! I would take a grain of salt for every expat who wants to defend a country that practiced ritual physical mutilation of their women for over 1,000 years with the feet as suddenly being better and equal to any western country after a mere few dozen years of development!

#32 Parent EFsucksdick - 2012-12-31

Good points, well made!

#33 Parent Dragonized - 2012-12-30
Re: That makes everyone equal?! REALLY?

If I met you in real life, I would have walked away by now and not wasted any more time with your view of things because they hold no value. But since this is a public board it isn't surprising to see folks who write what you've written, and I just have to deal with it. You sound like what left wingers would call a "moderate" wumaodang (50 cent brigadier). While you may acknowledge the seeming existence of an "opposing" viewpoint you do not define correctly what it's really made of, and until you get out of your self medicating "bright sided" way of seeing things you'll continue to be blind to this and we'll continue to disagree. And NO, I will not come back to china to try and change myself. I do think that your recent posts especially the one I am responding to right now serve as a good example for newbies to look at on what NOT to become after working in china for a while.

I do have to finish and say that my last post was meant as a end to the discussion of this topic between me and you. I do not tolerate folks who have no boundaries AND always want to prove themselves as being more right than you over every matter discussed very well. But hey I that's just one of the reasons why I left China in the first place.

#34 Parent Mancunian - 2012-12-30

Many of the stuff that you may think I "worked hard" for was stuff I actually didn't ask for. It just happened to me. I put forth my conclusions based not just on my own experience but also weighing the experiences of others as well. You have your own opinion about things

It's a big problem for all of us sometimes as to whether or not our own points of view have any real substance or are fully or partially groundless. I know I am not always right when I think I am; the thing about being deluded is that we never know when we are deluded. I have this thing about Chinese food, and I tell all and sundry,in an aggrssive fashion, that Chinese food is really bad, and no arguments about it. The trouble is with my position is that it flies in the face of what most other FT's I have met think; their opinion is normally that Chinese food is good, and even the few who do not have anything else good to say about the county, concede that their food[the Chinese] is the country's one saving grace; therefore, I am at risk of making a total idiot of myself to myself and others, if I stubbonly stick to 'Chinese food is bad, period.' Logic dictates that I throw the towel in, and admit that in fact Chinese food is in reality very good. I should amend what I say to, the food is good, but personally, I do not like it. Better still, I should retry Chinese food and get to try and like it. I know years ago I maintained that blue cheese was disgusting, but now, I can't get enough of the mouldy stuff. You would be wise to retry China.

The problem for you corresponding on teachers' forums, is that you are bound to meet many like-minded FT's who agree with you that China is not a good place to work, for the simple reason that the majority of FT's which I maintain enjoy their lot in China, find no reason of recourse to grumble on forums, they are too busy kissing Chinese girls and having a good time. You must know yourself that you very rarely hear from people when they are having a good time; however, when things are not good we all need sympathetic ears; and when push comes to shove, we are forced to seek out, any ears, even people whom we have never met.

My suggestion to you is to return to China, and try and change your own approach, and you may, jusy may, join the majority of happy FT's in China. My word this plate of dumplings ain't that bad after all!

#35 Parent ASTF - 2012-12-30
No, not quite the bottom

the west still has the best job opportunities

Not sure the people of Spain or Greece would agree with you on that one ( 1in 4 unemployed), Europe as a whole with 12% unemployment and the US with 8% unemployment.

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/tgm/table.do?tab=table&language=en&pcode=teilm020&tableSelection=1&plugin=1

any of the safest western neighborhoods trumps the safest chinese neighborhoods hands down

Yet you're far more likely to be murdered walking down an American street than a Chinese one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

Any investment with international credibility that goes into a 3rd world country starts in the west.

When are the Americans going to wake up and realize that in the last decade china has taken a large slice of Africa, Asia and South American while the yanks have been invested in a personal vendetta against the Arab world. Of course the Chinese have managed to do all this without going to war!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/dec/23/china-africa-trade-record-transform

I would NOT be proud about telling my kid that his/her country is the "cheap labor" factory of the world.

Is that what you think chinese parents go home to tell their kids? Even if it were true, is being the factory of the world that bad a thing? It was only 200 hundred years ago that Britain manufactured vast amounts of cotton products to be sold around the globe. It's economy has developed since as has china's. there is no 'bottom line', only change!

You don't have to love China and hate the West to see what you write is very biased. Perhaps you are suffering yet again from the 'grass is greener' syndrome that you admit to of having had prior to arriving in china, only this time you're looking back at the other side of the valley!

#36 Parent Dragonized - 2012-12-30

Many of the stuff that you may think I "worked hard" for was stuff I actually didn't ask for. It just happened to me. I put forth my conclusions based not just on my own experience but also weighing the experiences of others as well. You have your own opinion about things.

#37 Parent Mancunian - 2012-12-29

It just behooves me when I read crap like this. I myself have lived in dangerous neighborhoods in my life in the west and I have been harassed and threatened. I was bullied like hell in the USA when I was younger due to low self esteem and constantly being the "new" kid on the block since my family was moving around a lot. I also used to buy into the notion that china is "greener" and that this country was going to be more civilized and richer and have more opportunities and yada yada yada. That is until I actually worked, lived, and experienced the quality of people who live there and was able to make a fair comparison.

Here's the bottom line: In the free market world that we live in, the west still has the best overall education, the best job opportunities, the best systems of law, and the best business opportunities, and any of the safest western neighborhoods trumps the safest chinese neighborhoods hands down. Any investment with international credibility that goes into a 3rd world country starts in the west. I read in an Midwest American newspaper recently about the chinese bringing in an extra dozen or so jobs to the states due to some rich chinese businessmen investing. Well American jobs (millions of them) going to china was yesterday's news. What took you guys so freaking long, man? I thought we lived in a world of altruism and reciprocity...hahahaha. I guess it depends on competence too, doesn't it?

I don't know about you, but I would NOT be proud about telling my kid that his/her country is the "cheap labor" factory of the world. Sure the lack of freedom in china can mean that everything is controlled as much as possible which makes some folks feel more secure. I say it sucks to be most of you. I also will finish by adding that most of the expats who I have met overseas that talk like this either: 1. Cannot understand chinese very well so they live in a blissfully ignorant state of mind. 2. Benefited directly from the chinese system from some backhanded, corrupt way of doing business in each of their own respective lives. The former don't know what they're talking about even if they have lived in china for a long time (I have spoken with folks who lived on Canal Street which is Chinatown in New York City all their lives and still can't speak passable English). The latter obviously have no trouble lying and beating the same drum over and over and over again.

Of course, the 3rd option in this case would be that we have been arguing with people who hate the West immensely and want nothing more than to see its demise, and they will do anything possible to make that happen. Even if it's pretending to be an "expat" who has "lived" or "worked" in china for a long time.

I try to ignore posts like these but knowing how I was mislead and had my logic scrambled by statements such as these in the past I just feel like the person who makes these types of comments operates more on emotional whims rather than empirical logic.

Password:

Hello, Happy forthcoming New Year to you Dragonized.

You seem to be well-versed on all the ills of China and its people, those both living in China, and elsewhere. I am sure that you are right about many of those ills; maybe, I have never felt the need to build up the type of knowledge in detail that you have appeared to have acquired; you must have worked very hard at it.

However, I don't really think I have made myself clear, so, I'll now try. When I am in China, I can't cloud my thoughts with anything much beyond, how is China for me and for other Western people? (I will confirm that I believe life is not too good for many of it's own people and also many other non-native English speaker FT's(All of whom should not be teaching English but that's down to the Chinese, so it is not a concern for me) I am bound to say that for the average Westerner working in China, life is very good, and also considerably safer than back home(on the dole). You were here for a long while yourself, yes? Why did you endure it?

There are quite a few FT's whose experience in China, hasn't been a happy one. One of their reactions seems to be the reverse of trying to make things happier and to actively donate all their waking hours into finding any possible wrong in the Chinese as they can collate. It might be more sensible if we stick to, how is China for the FT, instead of concerning oneself in a spectrum of politics and everything else which is not for the FT oral English teacher to sort out; ask Mr Obama to do that?

Most FT's I have met have been very happy working in China, and many many of those many, have expressed a dread of the day when they would have to return to the West.

#38 Parent Dragonized - 2012-12-29

I expect that that Canadian family do not think that the pornographic, violent West, where you can't even walk down the streets of an English town, like Colchester(a garrison town) without the likelyhood of being beaten to a pulp by our brave lads, as the pubs tip out, is a good safe place for a child.

It just behooves me when I read crap like this. I myself have lived in dangerous neighborhoods in my life in the west and I have been harassed and threatened. I was bullied like hell in the USA when I was younger due to low self esteem and constantly being the "new" kid on the block since my family was moving around a lot. I also used to buy into the notion that china is "greener" and that this country was going to be more civilized and richer and have more opportunities and yada yada yada. That is until I actually worked, lived, and experienced the quality of people who live there and was able to make a fair comparison.

Here's the bottom line: In the free market world that we live in, the west still has the best overall education, the best job opportunities, the best systems of law, and the best business opportunities, and any of the safest western neighborhoods trumps the safest chinese neighborhoods hands down. Any investment with international credibility that goes into a 3rd world country starts in the west. I read in an Midwest American newspaper recently about the chinese bringing in an extra dozen or so jobs to the states due to some rich chinese businessmen investing. Well American jobs (millions of them) going to china was yesterday's news. What took you guys so freaking long, man? I thought we lived in a world of altruism and reciprocity...hahahaha. I guess it depends on competence too, doesn't it?

I don't know about you, but I would NOT be proud about telling my kid that his/her country is the "cheap labor" factory of the world. Sure the lack of freedom in china can mean that everything is controlled as much as possible which makes some folks feel more secure. I say it sucks to be most of you. I also will finish by adding that most of the expats who I have met overseas that talk like this either: 1. Cannot understand chinese very well so they live in a blissfully ignorant state of mind. 2. Benefited directly from the chinese system from some backhanded, corrupt way of doing business in each of their own respective lives. The former don't know what they're talking about even if they have lived in china for a long time (I have spoken with folks who lived on Canal Street which is Chinatown in New York City all their lives and still can't speak passable English). The latter obviously have no trouble lying and beating the same drum over and over and over again.

Of course, the 3rd option in this case would be that we have been arguing with people who hate the West immensely and want nothing more than to see its demise, and they will do anything possible to make that happen. Even if it's pretending to be an "expat" who has "lived" or "worked" in china for a long time.

I try to ignore posts like these but knowing how I was mislead and had my logic scrambled by statements such as these in the past I just feel like the person who makes these types of comments operates more on emotional whims rather than empirical logic.

#39 Parent Mancunian - 2012-12-29
Re: Teaching English with your husband and baby?

Exposing Western children to an alien culture and inferior way of thinking is a form of child abuse IMO.

It can but need not be the case. In our own process of socialisation, we have grown up in societies that we were born into and were unable to select beforehand. As we grow up in that respective environment, we will be formed according to that environment, and when we grow older, we all develop our own mind in reaction to that environment and eventually leave or work for changes if we have objections to it in one way or another. It is my personal experience - being born into a communist oppressive system, I was socialised by it but later developed traits of severe resistance to what it actually was; I was jailed for that and managed to escape, becoming a refugee in a foreign land. Today, I am a free person and enjoy life. Ergo, the system which I was born into by chance did not make me a communist, and I developed in a very different way. Does this prove my point?

I think it goes a very long way indeed to prove your point. In the same way that you had the desire to escape an evil regime, I expect that that Canadian family do not think that the pornographic, violent West, where you can't even walk down the streets of an English town, like Colchester(a garrison town) without the likelyhood of being beaten to a pulp by our brave lads, as the pubs tip out, is a good safe place for a child. Or you are a 68 year old organist, and you get brutally murdered as you make your way to play at the Midnight Mass on Christmas Day(might have been Eve) No, your child will be a lot safer on the streets of China, than on the streets of England; or for that matter those of Canada, I dare say. Needless to say, violence can occur anywhere, even in a normally peaceful country like China, but in the West, the odds of coming a cropper are considerably more stacked against you. Well said, Turnoi.

Return to Index › Re: Teaching English with your husband and baby?

Go to another board -