TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › SOCHI (Russia) -The London School - ESL discussion
#1 Parent Hendo - 2016-05-11
Re SOCHI (Russia) -The London School - ESL discussion

The school was fine- an adventure for my wife and I. We worked there in 2001 and were friends with Graeme. We had a blast. Yes, a cultural change to begin with by western standards but once you get to know Russian customs, easy. Yes, they lie, they cheat, they hold your passport, they're corrupt (Russian mafia anyone) but this is Russia.

We were looked after, always paid on time and Kaminsky would drag me out of class to drink. The teaching and hours were easy. The kids were great, used to take us out to the discos. The staff used to take us out too.

You get what you get in Russia.

#2 Parent Cams - 2007-05-15
I was there in 1999 - Teachers Discussion

I and my wife worked there for three months in 1999. We had our passports confiscated so that we could not leave. When we asked for them back, we were told that they were being held at the local government offices (the name of which escapes me now). Being a Russian speaker, I was able to check the foreign labour law and, after many visits to the government offices behind Kaminsky's back and armed with the pertinent parts of the legislation, we were able to get our passports back.

We then walked out in the middle of a class and caught the next train to Sheremyetyevo (while Kaminsky was on a "business trip")

Course wise, the school didn't actually seem that bad. But the exploitation was unbearable. Keep away.

#3 Parent Emily - 2005-08-16
The London School - Teachers discussion

I also worked for this school a few years back. Fighting for pay was a monthly occurance, as were the problems getting visas!
Sochi was a great place to live (once I had managed to get them to move me in to town - I was located in the mountains 45 mins from the nearest shop) and I had a ball in my spare time, but it is really not worth the hassle you have trying to get paid! Do not trust these people!

#4 Parent Emily - 2005-08-16
Oh I forgot... - Teachers discussion

Graham Moore does exist! He is a Canadian who was just leaving as I arrived there. The reason he got on so well was that he was very friendly with the wealthy grandmother of one of the children, and she let him live in her house (saving the school $100 per month) and she ensured that he was treated well. Graham was nice enough, but was happy to be pushed around by the school and worked all the hours that they dictated.

Thomas Fitzpatrick - 2005-06-23
SOCHI (Russia) -The London School - ESL discussion

DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER working atthis bloody aweful place (no beds in the accomadition -no blankets for cold winters nights - a muslim girl teacher put in a dorm with alcoholics - nobody ever gets thier visa- nobody is paid for the last months work and so on and so on.)

The owner was arrested but must have paid the bribe and has got off again. They are offering ANYBODY a job - people without degrees or any training and also non-native english speakers.
Do not be the fool who accepts a position - you will be sorry.

They are also sending a false reference from a "previous teacher"
- this "person" does not exist, they made up the name Graham Moore.

Return to Index › SOCHI (Russia) -The London School - ESL discussion

Go to another board -