TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: On hacking from the outside
#1 Parent Yas - 2016-09-03
Re: On hacking from the outside

Hi,

Interesting to see the varying advice on UK probate records. From my understanding, both the grant of probate and the last will and testament are public records which can be acquired very easily. For use as a legal document in a foreign country, one would need to get an apostille stamp for both documents and assuming the foreign country is on the list of the Hague Convention, the documents would be treated as legal entity for administration.

I have acquired such records from the below website. If it helps, here are the direct links:

Grant of probate and Copy Will
Apostille Stamp

I would advise reading through the comprehensive info section below before proceeding or dropping them an email for advice...

http://www.ukgrocertificatesonline.co.uk/what-is-an-apostille-or-legalisation-67-c.asp

Hope that helps.

Yas

#2 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-29

Is being a minority such a bad thing?
Is going against the flow when you know or at least believe that what others are saying is wrong such a bad thing?
Can you really have a productive forum without differing opinions?
Can you really have a productive society at large without differing opinions?

If you had to answer 'yes' to all these questions San Migs then i'd suggest that means you enjoy a good bit of grovelling. Now, if i could only think of some clever, witty term perhaps in conjunction with an animal to describe a person who enjoys a good grovel...............
If you can think of one please let me know!

#3 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-28

Because you are minority on these boards, that is why drags sticks up for me. You, as a newcomer here, have done nothing whatsoever to ingratiate yourself with anyone. If you can't function in society, then what are you doing posting here?

#4 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-23

Again, I am not in China, nor England.

#5 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-23

Thanks for asking. I don't know that busy would be the word. I spent yesterday down at the beach. 23C, white sand, cool clear water. My friend told me its -7C and snowing in blighty. I know where I'd rather be. Off to the races this evening. Any tips?

#6 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-22

Isn't your balcony and imported chilled chemicals keeping you busy?

#7 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-22

I'm glad that in the last 24 hours you've had a change of heart because yesterday you'll remember that you said that yourself and dragonized had more of a right to post on this board.

Good for you for coming around to the idea that apposing views aren't always bad.

#8 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-22

You do have a penchant for playing the victim when things aren't going your way.

Perhaps because you yourself are an aggressive poster who likes to force people into a corner.

His opinion has as much validity as yours, despite your age, experience or wealth.

#9 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-22

I do not "thrive" on anything but calling inexperienced pretend know-it-alls like you out for your own ignorance. You have said you are only a part time teacher, and your own experiences are limited to what you have been through because your Mandarin language ability isn't good enough to actually participate in the society that you are living in. You thrive on scavenging other people's threads and attacking anyone with a perceived weakness to make yourself look more right.

My examples are as good as yours, if you really were serious about coming to an agreement you wouldn't be constantly one-upping other posters with your immature attitude. You give off the notion that people who have something to say against you and your perception of china should be brushed off as not worth listening to, and your own attitudes towards some people who do not post much on here says you are just as likely to make others feel worthless for daring to bring up critiques of schools or societies in general.

Your poor arguments only serve to discredit yourself. [edited]

[edited]

#10 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-22

Perhaps you can be more specific dragonized. Where on this topic about the bureacratic procedures and options for foreigners having children and the nationality of those children have I provided a strawman argument? What is the scam that I'm playing?

It seems that I've provided you with plenty of personal experience based on decisions that I have had to make in regards to having a child while living in china. Even if you think my personal experience on the matter is irrelevant I've also provided you with links to the information page of the British embassy that verifies what I've said. Is this information not relevant? Is the British embassy providing strawman arguments or are they involved in some scam to hoodwink you and San migs?

In the interest of fairness I did try to find the equivalent information on the US embassy site about a child being born in china to one US citizen and one Chinese citizen but it is not there. I can only speculate that this is because while the US does recognize the right to dual nationality it does not encourage it. Here is a passage from the US department of State

The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

You clearly show an interest or else you would not need to respond, and that interest is one of covering up more important issues to talk about and focus on less important, superficial things which will make yourself look better.

If you'd like to post about something else then by all means start a new thread. If I feel it's some I'd like to talk about then I will. I'm sorry if this topic bores you and that you don't have much to contribute but it seems that you are driving this thread along just as much as I am.

Because I can give better information

You've provided an example of something that happened to a friend of yours 24years ago. As I stated before, I have taken this example at face value. Perhaps it is of use to the discussion. I asked you to provide more details regarding how your friend managed to get their child onto a passport without things like a birth certificate which you claimed he didn't have. You decided to ignore that question. I don't think you can really claim that you've provided 'better' information. Perhaps limited, incomplete or anecdotal would be a more accurate description.

your best leverage is that of personal attacks on others? I have held back from calling you names with my recent posts and tried to talk to you on an equal level. What have you done except start calling people more names and use your own dirty methods as justification

You do have a penchant for playing the victim when things aren't going your way. If my dirty methods are of providing information based on genuine, recent experience of these bureacratic procedures and backing it up evidence from government institutions then I guess yes, I'm guilty of that. That you keep denying these things and making yourself look silly is not my fault.

#11 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-22

I don't have any problem with accepting that you feel that way about the information I've provided on this topic. Perhaps you'd like me to have a problem with it so i can get drawn into some mudslinging but I think I'll just keep to the high ground thanks.

#12 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-22

Where is the inaccuracy on my part? I can only respond to what is written.

San migs told me I didn't have the 'right' to post

He then told me you do have the 'right' to post

He contradicts himself and you stick up for him.

#13 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-22

Haha. Brilliant! Thanks San Migs

#14 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-21

I think that you are misleading others with your self absorbed pre-disposition at assuming your own experience is the only one that should be taken into account for. I do not plan on having a family in China, does that mean what I say is worth less than what you have said? I have shared my own thoughts regarding personal experiences as well as providing a perspective that you cannot see due to your own limited experiences. You can stop fawning over your own ideas as being "great". They are not and you do not bring anything of value to the table.

#15 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-21

Again dragonized, I will refer you to the posts that I made prior to you writing this that shows I clearly DO have an interest in this topic and can relate to it on a very personal level.

You do not relate anything on a personal level. Those 2 threads have shown you know nothing. You only seem to create a strawman argument and use that to try and run circles around people assuming they cannot see through your scam. You clearly show an interest or else you would not need to respond, and that interest is one of covering up more important issues to talk about and focus on less important, superficial things which will make yourself look better.

You're making yourself look a bit silly.

Am I? Because I can give better information, while your best leverage is that of personal attacks on others? I have held back from calling you names with my recent posts and tried to talk to you on an equal level. What have you done except start calling people more names and use your own dirty methods as justification in themselves to say others aren't as worthy of being heard as you?

[edited]

#16 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-21

He stated he can read your posts whenever he likes and respond in however a manner he likes, that is all. You do not have a right to tell others to not respond. You post tripe on here and give inaccurate statements aboiut others, so you deserve to be countered. For you to constantly find the need to twist things around to what others say to you shows that [edited]

#17 Parent Mancunian - 2013-01-21

Me and drags have more right as we are established posters who have contributed a lot. Just what have you contributed?

Actually, San Mig, I have a lot of respect for you and Dragonised; you are both holding your ground, when all the others have fled and deserted you, in order to keep face against a concerted onlaught by us GW's (not saying us GW's agree about everything, only that China is pretty cool) Anyway keep sniggering....but don't hold your breath for the return of your former soul-mates, they have let you down, and let you down badly. Am I right or am I right?

#18 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-21

I mean you don't live or work in china, You are not planning to start a relationship and have a child in china and you generally dislike most things about china. It's easy to see that there is very little of what I write that would be of interest to you and yet you continue to read it and post against me. What does that say about you?

What I choose to do personally with my life does not affect how I feel about what you have posted. I feel that you have shown how some people may feel about China, and I am merely showing how others have felt after working and living there. I feel that it is important to show that china is not all roses and daisies. You have not shown an inability to be critical towards yourself and acknowledge both sides of an argument as containing legitimate elements. Instead if any posters who have gone against you in previous arguments gives even a remote hint of showing what you have said as possibly containing credible things you immediately jump on that (like a sniggering hyena :)) as possibly showing them to be silly or hypocritical. You cannot see 2 sides to a discussion, period. I can talk about anything I want on this board and that includes responding to your posts. It says more about you than me with the idea that you can expect other people to not respond to you unless they want to risk personal insults coming from your end of the argument.

You do not show an ability to exercise fair reasoning. Your ideas about China are one sided and over idealistic. People who follow your "advice" will put themselves at risk for not knowing enough about the character of local chinese people. Most importantly you cannot seem to provide a strong ground as to why your own ideas can stand on their own, instead you need to resort to personal attacks and name calling along with the pathetic behavior of following up the thread of what others who have disagreed with me have had to say to try and bury my credibility. It is plain to see that you would like nothing more than to see me go away, permanently. Well if you wanted to accomplish something like that maybe you could act a little bit more mature and maybe put up a more inclusive front. That way your own ideas can be more accepted.

#19 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-21

Good point there, let's see how he responds to that one. He probably won't and he will instead resort to name calling [edited]

#20 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-21

Me and drags have more right as we are established posters who have contributed a lot. Just what have you contributed?

#21 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-21

Not really, or how do you explain white people in HK denied citizenship after 1997?!

#22 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-21

That's interesting you seem to have changed your tune in regards the right to post. Please check your own post on the subject.

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?read=81026

#23 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-21

Again dragonized, I will refer you to the posts that I made prior to you writing this that shows I clearly DO have an interest in this topic and can relate to it on a very personal level .

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?read=81307

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?read=81354

You're making yourself look a bit silly.

#24 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-21

Dragonized, I am going to have the good grace to take the example of your friend from 24 years ago at face value. This is not something you've generally afforded me with your constant questioning of my motives for posting.

I would still ask the question how did the child get onto any passport without the official documentation that you claim they didn't have but is generally needed in these circumstances e.g. Birth certificate? Seeing as this incident happened a long time ago to a third party then if you don't know just say so.

Furthermore, traveling to the foreign country on a visitation/tourist visa with the intention to then switch nationailities was one of examples I gave in my previous post. You seem to want to pick an argument regardless of what I write!

#25 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-21

Where is this flawed logic dragonized? As you've pointed out i seem to be in agreement with you so if my points are flawed then logically so are yours.

For all of the arguments you throw at me and others you seem to fail into taking into account how the local chinese actually think.

But that wasn't the point of my posts (As I've stated to you now on multiple occasions). It was to dispel the idea put forward by San migs that the government would not provide a Hun xue child born in china with Chinese nationality. How you are then perceived by people on the street is a different kettle of fish and is not relevant to any documentation that you might hold. I will state again (because you seem to be having a real problem getting your head round this), people will treat you differently because of your appearance in china - I agree!

#26 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-21

Many of the issues I have brought up that you disagreed with stemmed from experience as a child too, and as a child how long ago was that? People do speak differently to a child than they would an adult, and what they told you may not have anything to do with the topic discussed on hand.

Do you need glasses?

I didn't write anything about my experiences of BEING a child. So keen you are to start your pseduo psychology you've completely mis-read my post!

If you think that my experience of HAVING a child is irrelevant then so be it. I'm sure that there are others who would say that it is useful.
I'm sure we've been over the whole you not thinking I have any to offer scenario before and I'm sure you're probably right! I mean you don't live or work in china, You are not planning to start a relationship and have a child in china and you generally dislike most things about china. It's easy to see that there is very little of what I write that would be of interest to you and yet you continue to read it and post against me. What does that say about you?

#27 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-21

Sure you may think you had to answer twice, but you just sidestepped the issue altogether. You don't care about the social ramifications of living with a non-chinese parent or as a minority. Perhaps you wanted to conveniently label my questions as a method of "dragging out" because maybe the new issues that would be brought up are things you have not a clue about or your true opinions on them would make you look foolish. You sounded defensive, to say the least.

#28 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-21

that he had the guy fired over the trivial reason that he wouldn't smoke or drink with fellow colleagues and local government officials. Our true characters are exposed when there is a chance a fantasy we held on to can be popped, eh?

That just goes to show the black hearted pettiness that one can expect to deal with. Anyone who stands out in anyway has to be cut down. If this can happen to overseas born chinese, what chance have foreigners with no chinese ancestry got?

#29 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-21

what I was stating was that dragonized is seeking to drag (no pun intended) the discussion in a different direction

He has that right, just as you have your right to mention balcony's of flats and imported beer?

#30 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-20

o you're saying that he travelled out of china without an exit permit and passport.

Actually, he and his mother were on the same passport together, on a visitation visa because his father was studying at an American University. They obtained permanent residence through political amnesty due to going to the USA before 1989, which was when *something* happened in China. Not all folks who go from China to a more developed country is an illegal. You are jumping to conclusions based on your own ignorance.

Yet here you are again squirming and trying to paint a different picture.

No more "squirming" than a person who can't live without attacking other people's characters when his own baseless ideas are questioned, such as you!

#31 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-20

I was not running in circles, you are the one without the ability to see the flawed logic.

In your own post you had stated that the so called "ABC's" and "BBC's" are mistaken for native Chinese and because of their face they will not be given fair evaluation from Chinese employers. This fits exactly into what I was talking about regarding the "exclusion" mindset of the chinese in general. That is it doesn't matter if you're ethnically chinese by blood or if your have chinese heritage. If you do not fit into the narrow minded, jaded criteria of what constitutes as being "Chinese" and being "Foreign" in the eyes of local Chinese people you will not be given fair treatment.

For all of the arguments you throw at me and others you seem to fail into taking into account how the local chinese actually think. Not surprising considering it wouldn't help you win any arguments.

#32 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-21

Mine is from personal experience of having a child and having to consider these issues very seriously. It also comes from days having spent researching the topic, speaking to representatives of the embassy and seeking legal advice.

Many of the issues I have brought up that you disagreed with stemmed from experience as a child too, and as a child how long ago was that? People do speak differently to a child than they would an adult, and what they told you may not have anything to do with the topic discussed on hand.

To me, you have nothing valuable to say or give anyway. You are just as inclined to attack another person's character when you are asked to give evidence on things as you are to actually back up what you say. If you want to believe something as they say, you'll find a reason to believe it. You remind me of some older teachers I met in China who were set in their prejudices one way or the other. In fact at DOS at one of the chain schools was so afraid of dealing with an Asian American who grew up in a bi-cultural environment (1st generation immigrant in the house, American environment outside the house) that he had the guy fired over the trivial reason that he wouldn't smoke or drink with fellow colleagues and local government officials. Our true characters are exposed when there is a chance a fantasy we held on to can be popped, eh?

#33 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-21

Circular logic. That'd be an improvement on much of what some people have posted.

No, San migs, what I was stating was that dragonized is seeking to drag (no pun intended) the discussion in a different direction. However, I did answer him in regards his concerns about the perception of Chinese to a 'Hun xue' child, what i wasn't really prepared to do was answer the same question twice.

#34 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-21

I don't even understand the question. Are you questioning my grammar or are we still talking about nationality?

#35 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-21

Of course not, from the get go when this poster first started talking all his nonsense he has shown he doesn't know what he's talking about(China, specifically). I do think this is done on purpose. After all why go against a place that gave you what you wanted, stereotypes(seeing what you want to see) and all? For some laowai being catered to and treated like an expensive lapdog is enough reason to bash any criticisms towards their Chinese bosses/masters. That is enough for them to "play ball", so to speak.

#36 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-20

You can't answer his point, so it is you who is using circular logic.

He is right about the minorities.

#37 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-20

That would be illegal. It may have happened but it was illegal. My statement clearly states its a legal requirement.

So which is it? Would, Have, or it is ?

Bet you do not know the answer, not for everyone!

#38 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-20

Mine is from personal experience of having a child and having to consider these issues very seriously. It also comes from days having spent researching the topic, speaking to representatives of the embassy and seeking legal advice.

Your comments come from at best (and by your own admission) hear say.

It has nothing to do with your friend being American. In terms of nationality in china you are either Chinese or you are not i.e. no dual nationality. If you were born in china to at least one Chinese parent then legally speaking you will be required to become a Chinese citizen.

#39 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-20

Not a completely accurate statement

So you're saying that he travelled out of china without an exit permit and passport. That would be illegal. It may have happened but it was illegal. My statement clearly states its a legal requirement. I'm therefore happy to amend my post to include a 4th option which would be to leave the country illegally and cross international borders illegally via smuggling a child across them or bribing various officials both of which are ILLEGAL.

Said poster didn't say he wouldn't acknowledge what you knew about the issue of nationality.

Does said poster need you to stick up for him? Said poster has posted a lot of inaccurate information on this site as well as consistant insults.

The rest of your post is simply more wriggling from you. Any time someone questions some "fact" you two post you seek to divert the topic. I know what San migs was posting about, it's there on this thread for everyone to see and he clearly made a false claim. Yet here you are again squirming and trying to paint a different picture.

#40 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-20

You seem to want to run in circles again on this topic so I'll just point you to the post I've already made

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.pl?read=81265

#41 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-20

and where is your experience?

That anecdote I posted was about a national of the USA, as for the UK, I don't know, sorry.

#42 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-20

If one of the married couple are of Chinese citizenship and that couple have a child in China then that child is automatically considered to be of Chinese heritage whether the couple would like it to be or not.

There can be a huge difference in perception with merely having citizenship and being considered "of Chinese heritage". There was a post on here a couple of years back of how the kid of an Expat Teacher/Native Chinese woman was treated with suspicion by the parents of his classmates for looking different. This is an ongoing problem of discrimination in China. At a public school I have worked there is a special class specifically for out of province students of Uighur lineage. They pretty much stick within their own ethnic makeup and do not usually mingle with their fellow Han classmates. Although personal choice can be included in this one cannot disregard the fact that being in such a geographically different environment such as Southeast China can have an impact on how the local students would act towards kids who are not from the area. Do not make things sound so simple.

#43 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-20

If that is the case then the child cannot legally leave the country without registering to get a chinese birth certificate in order to get a Hukou Ben in order to get an ID card and finally a passport I.e. they would HAVE TO become a Chinese citizen.

Not a completely accurate statement. While there is a Chinese Birth Certificate that is required for all people born in China, I know personally of a Chinese American man who immigrated with his family when he was but a baby. He never obtained a Hukou Ben and he never received an ID card with his ShenFenZheng Number. Being that he became naturalized as a citizen of a Western country now he is no longer entitled to apply for a ShenFenZheng (I.D.) number as defined by Chinese Law since only citizens can apply.

If you had read the post below you would see that I stated that the Chinese don't allow dual nationality (good to see you're keeping up).

Said poster didn't say he wouldn't acknowledge what you knew about the issue of nationality. No need to patronize.

1. Try and find a way to get around the whole wait until the kid is 18 nonsense to legally relinquish the Chinese nationality
2. Accept it and stay in china
3. Leave china while still a Chinese national and head for their other parents homeland (they can do this on a tourist visa in their chinese passport). Once there they can apply for citizenship of that country. This isn't usually a problem for most westerners as our countries allow dual nationality. The problem that might arise though is if the child then tries to re-enter China they could find themselves in a spot of trouble and a potential bureaucratic nightmare.

Regardless of what you've seen or heard you don't know what you're talking about! I'd suggest you contact the British Embassy in Beijing if you'd like to verify my comments.

While you may have stated the facts on the legal situation for such a person who fits the description, the idea of being "accepted" as talked about by San Migs was specifically started on the issue of getting citizenship for an expat who was originally not born in China, but has worked there for years. Even if the kids are considered to be citizens of China, they are not considered "Chinese" but "Hun Xue Er" if their physical traits stand out too much. I believe there was the emotional sentiment regarding your kids not being considered Chinese that may have been due to a personal experience or the observation of a fellow colleague who had a similar situation.

You can disagree with other courtly, your "one size fits all" mentality leading to accusative remarks like the ones you have typed would only invite more arguments.

#44 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-20

Perhaps because in the eyes of the PRC, you are the perpetual foreigner. Let's have a look what qualifies you to Chinese citizenship or even 2 year working visas.

Learnt Chinese? No.
Married a Chinese partner?No.
Taught in China for 10 years?No.

Even those who have invested or donated an amount deemed notable, are only entitled to a green card.

It seems like even when you play by the rules so to speak, you only end up finding out the rules are just "rules" to string you along until you can be rejected.

In the eyes of the PRC, you have a western passport, even if you have married a chinese woman and had kids there, your kids are not Chinese and you are still a foreigner. Whether this will change, remains to be seen.

You are definitely still a foreigner, your kids may have the technical option of remaining citizens of China, but in the long run they are probably better off choosing the Western Country citizenship (USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and any Western European/Germanic Country). Unless your Chinese wife is a well connected member of the local elite society (money, power, and fame all rolled into one together) it is highly doubtful your kids would have a better quality life in the long run, barring World War 3 happening.

#45 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-19

even if you have married a chinese woman and had kids there, your kids are not Chinese

Actually it's exactly what you said. Stop wriggling!

I don't know why you continue to post rubbish about a topic you obviously have no experience of.

Here is the link to the Beijing embassy site

http://ukinchina.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/Nationality_Advice/

#46 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-19

The scenario you have put forward is that the child was born in the PRC with a Chinese parent.

Not exactly. I do know if said child born to a foreign man and chinese wife gets foreign mans home country passport, chinese nationality is no longer an option. Not sure for the uk though.

#47 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-19

The scenario you have put forward is that the child was born in the PRC with a Chinese parent. If that is the case then the child cannot legally leave the country without registering to get a chinese birth certificate in order to get a Hukou Ben in order to get an ID card and finally a passport I.e. they would HAVE TO become a Chinese citizen. If you had read the post below you would see that I stated that the Chinese don't allow dual nationality (good to see you're keeping up). In fact most Chinese administrative bodies would say that the child in question should wait until they are 18 until they themselves are in a position to decide their own nationality before they allow them to relinquish their Chinese nationality in favor of the other parents nationality. As a result the the family is left with only a few options
1. Try and find a way to get around the whole wait until the kid is 18 nonsense to legally relinquish the Chinese nationality
2. Accept it and stay in china
3. Leave china while still a Chinese national and head for their other parents homeland (they can do this on a tourist visa in their chinese passport). Once there they can apply for citizenship of that country. This isn't usually a problem for most westerners as our countries allow dual nationality. The problem that might arise though is if the child then tries to re-enter China they could find themselves in a spot of trouble and a potential bureaucratic nightmare.

Regardless of what you've seen or heard you don't know what you're talking about! I'd suggest you contact the British Embassy in Beijing if you'd like to verify my comments.

#48 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-18
Re: Don't worry, be happy!

Like you, I have read this book as well regarding the unethical practices of western corporations and the CIA. However you need to understand that it takes two to tango. As the old saying in Chinese goes, "Cang ying bu ding wu feng de dan"; "A fly will not sting an egg that is not cracked." As much as there is greed on the foreign businessmen who come to china and elsewhere, there are just as many eager government officials and native business folks who want the western technology. The local people enable the dictatorships by not doing anything to change the respective societies that they live in. Entities like the CIA exist in every country, and in China they are more invested into not allowing their own to exercise basic human rights.

In the west, there are plenty of people willing to protest and make their opinions known and shared with regards to taking a stand against the likes of Goldman Sachs, Wall Street, and Big Government policies in general. It all starts from the individual, and where the roots of western avarice are borne is also where the fiercest resistance against western vice on a civilian level. In China as well as many other developing countries the people are not as inclined to stand out. That can be a problem.

#49 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-17

But the US and Europe forced through their economic programs with the threat of force

To quote someone smarter than myself: "You better get tough because they are taking the shirt off your back!"

#50 Parent foxy - 2013-01-17

Dual nationality. Yes, my late mother had it. She was German. My late father was Scottish, and I was born in (Western) Germany. I was told by my mother that I could get both too, but I never cared about that. She thought it was good to have it - maybe for her that was true, but I doubt it would have benefited me. I'd say this, it's better for laowai in China to retain their foreign nationality. If you had it converted to Chinese nationality, you couldn't expect to visit your homeland without a visa to allow you to do so, which is not subject to automatic issuance. There are other good reasons for retaining your foreign nationality in the PRC. It can be used to diddle the system re teaching illegally if you've a mind to do do...LOL!! You can have the best of both worlds if you've a Chinese spouse, and can be unshackled and less controlled. Though all governments are kinda control freaks, those with grey matter can dupe them!

#51 Parent juanisaac - 2013-01-17

The first year I was here I was shocked about everything was so different from the USA. The second year here I am shocked as to how many things are so similar but just called by different names or done in a slightly different way. For example, the famous "hong bao" or bribe given to Chinese politicians to be allowed to work. In the US we call this protection money to gangs or a contribution to a political PAC where in the end the politicians wine and dine well. I guess China and the West in some ways are in lock step to the bottom.

Another example is Catherine Austin Fitts who worked for the Housing and Urban Development department under the first George Bush administration. Routinely she said how her superiors granted contracts "to generate revenues for friends." Her interviews all over the internet.

I am from Mexico and my country is one of the most corrupt on earth, so I can't really criticize China vis a vi Mexico.

#52 Parent juanisaac - 2013-01-17

It is not just the Chinese doing dirty business around the world. If you read "The Confessions of Economic Hitman" by John Perkins it details how the U.S. government forced Latin American governments into getting millions and billions in loans impoverishing whole countries. If the leader agrees to these loans they would be rich by enslaving the people. If they did not, the CIA would get in there and forment a revolution. One only has to read about Miguel Allende in Chile and how he was ousted in favor of Pinochet, or the United Fruit Company and the CIA backed coup of 1954 in Guatemala. This list is endless.

The Chinese force, lie, and manipulate through words. But at the end of the day, they could have gone home and not build anything in China going somewhere else. I've read of foreign companies just packing up and going home when the Chinese wanted to steal their technology. But the US and Europe forced through their economic programs with the threat of force. At least the Chinese wait you out and you can always leave.

#53 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-17

There's a difference in this and the comment that I was responding to from San migs. Namely that he was describing how the PRC i.e. the state would view your official nationality. Of course that won't affect how a person on the street might perceive you.

In regards your example, it does of course work the other way too. ABCs or BBCs are commonly mistaken for Chinese and employers at both public and private schools tend to avoid employing them because they have a Chinese face.

Without seeking to go over ground that we have already covered I'd also suggest that these kind of things are not unique to the Chinese. for example in the uk it is common to hear people use the term Pakis even though that person may be a 3rd generation Brit and their family migrated from India, Bangladesh or another country that wasn't Pakistan.

#54 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-17

Really?

Well that is not what I have heard or seen with my own eyes?

China does not recognize dual nationality. If say born in chinese mixed baby gets a UK passport, are you certain they can still be classed as a national of the PRC?

#55 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-17

I don't no for certain but my logical guess is that they wouldn't/couldn't claim it as being Chinese automatically in that circumstance. The main problem being that the Chinese do not recognize dual nationality. The individual in question would have to relinquish their original nationality including the foreign passport that they used to enter china in the first place in order to become a Chinese national. I'm sure this process would be much easier than the same child trying to relinquish their Chinese nationality in favor of a foreign one (i hear thats a nightmare) but it's not an automatic process like the one that I described in my previous post.

#56 Parent foxy - 2013-01-17

This is interesting; what about if the couple's child is born in the West, the mother still carrying a Chinese passport; they then, the three of them, return to China; would they [the Chinese authorities] consider the child as theirs?

Well, the child couldn't cross borders without a passport. So, he (or she) would need to apply for a British passport first, and will automatically get it, making him British. That's the way I'd analyze the situation, but am I right?

#57 Parent Mancunian - 2013-01-17

even if you have married a chinese woman and had kids there, your kids are not Chinese

Wrong.

If one of the married couple are of Chinese citizenship and that couple have a child in China then that child is automatically considered to be of Chinese heritage whether the couple would like it to be or not.

This is interesting; what about if the couple's child is born in the West, the mother still carrying a Chinese passport; they then, the three of them, return to China; would they [the Chinese authorities] consider the child as theirs?

#58 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-17

I have a friend who is Half Chinese, Half Jamaican and he is automatically considered a laowai by his local chinese friends. There was a TV Show in China which was I think China Idol that specifically "set aside" a talented singer of mixed Chinese/African lineage. The girl was called "Chocolate Girl" on public tv by one of the hosts of the show. Now if that's not discriminating behavior I don't know what is. The girl said herself in an interview that she is treated differently from her fellow classmates.

Now many local Chinese may accept you for who you are, but fundamentally a society that mistrusts even other fellow chinese for being "wai di ren" (non-local) cannot be counted on for too much acceptance of folks with physically non-chinese features.

#59 Parent ASTF - 2013-01-16

Wrong.

#60 Parent foxy - 2013-01-16

In the eyes of the PRC, you have a western passport, even if you have married a chinese woman and had kids there, your kids are not Chinese and you are still a foreigner. Whether this will change, remains to be seen.

I can't see it changing. As you say, you are the perpetual foreigner! You will never be accepted. That's why I said before that gregarious people should avoid China. China's only ok as a place to stsy year after year for weird westerners and loners.

#61 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-16

The thing is, if you've a Western passport, the Authorities here might insist on repatriating what's left of you, even though you're related by marriage to a Chinese national.

Perhaps because in the eyes of the PRC, you are the perpetual foreigner. Let's have a look what qualifies you to Chinese citizenship or even 2 year working visas.

Learnt Chinese? No.
Married a Chinese partner?No.
Taught in China for 10 years?No.

Even those who have invested or donated an amount deemed notable, are only entitled to a green card.

#62 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-16

I suggest you don't waste your time there. Even if you dislike teaching, it's still within your compass to make good money with little effort in the PRC.

Your point is valid and worthy of consideration. However the fly in the ointment is that China will not pay food stamps if you are unemployed, which he could be eligible for in the states. Whether 5,500 rmb, for example, can be considered good money and for little effort (dealing with a racist FAO, annoying students, grim winters in a cold apartment, many variables) will differ on each person and how adaptable they are. Not everyones situation will be the same. FT's salary is absolutely nothing outside of china, it is just monopoly money. For someone who has a pension like yourself however it is a different ball game. I would still say dragonised could earn more in HK or Taiwan, and be rewarded for his abilities far more there.

#63 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-16

A dirty trick of a British beer manufacturer! So, it's not just in the PRC where cheating takes place.

That is just one example by a british manufacturer and it pales into VAST insignificance with that is taking place in the PRC.

Wait 5 years or so and see what happens to all the jobs in America in the airline industry, they will all be gone, once China gets established in making planes.

Read Mr.China about how certain breweries could not do business in China, and how chinese companies left foreign representatives in hotels for a month or more all in order to drag out negotiations and wear the foreign "side" down.

Do some british companies cheat? You bet your arse they do!

But compared to China? It is child play by comparison, the Chinese print and sell the tshirts and have written the book on it!

Refusing to deal with North Korea to help the US (largest trading partner!) when they are right next door? Stealing technology from the downed US chopper in pakistan, which the US could rightly demand be deducted off the debt to China? Breaking into and stealing information from siemens hi speed train control rooms in Shanghai?

There are more that could be listed, not least that Dyson has private detectives working in China.

Good luck,
San Migs

#64 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-15

I think you can give it a rest with the finding work in china part. You yourself can learn to respect other people's opinions and leave them well enough alone. If I may remind you myself, in the west there are still boundaries between folks and the rules of interaction dictate that one behave accordingly.

You have again chose to patronize me on how I should behave towards the chinese. I am suspecting that on some level you feel that me and perhaps others posters on here did not treat the local Chinese fairly enough when we were here the last time. You do not know me personally, never met the folks I worked with, nor do you know how good my Chinese language ability really is to make this judgement. I have held back from insulting you and I have told you I am trying to be fair minded, so don't push it because it's things like the way you have just spoken to me that will make me change my mind on how I feel about you as a person.

#65 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-15

Last time I checked, you have a lot of time on your hands to be posting so much on here too. Try and be at least a little fair minded. I will not do this if you show you aren't capable.

#66 Parent foxy - 2013-01-15

I know that one FT's family didn't have the wherewithal to make such a purchase, and his body was flogged to medical research. The hospital and its Mortuary have their costs to cover ,you see. I suppose eventually ashes are flushed down the drain...but not all at once.

Interesting! Just to add that ashes to 'Homeland' would be a much cheaper alternative than a body in a bodybag to there;and the latter is much more expensive than the cost of a single air ticket!The thing is, if you've a Western passport, the Authorities here might insist on repatriating what's left of you, even though you're related by marriage to a Chinese national.

#67 Parent foxy - 2013-01-16

Dragonized, I have a true story to tell you about business ethics. I'd appreciate your response.

I used to control GKN pallets for a major UK brewery. We imported German beer from Bremen into Felixstowe by sea. A shipping company got the contract. But the GKN Europallet was a different size from the British Europallet. So, GKN charged my company a repatriation fee of GBP 2.80/pallet of that imported German beer to recover their shipping costs of empty Europallets (that were not used by British manufacturers) back to mainland Europe from the UK. I suggested to my senior manager that if we could get the German brewery to palletise on British GKNs we could avoid repatriation charges. However, we'd have to bear the cost of shipping empty British GKNs to Bremen from the UK. It would then boil down to if such shipping of empty pallets could be effected significantly cheaper/pallet than GBP 2.80. My boss contacted Bremen, and I was duly informed that the Germans agreed to palletise our orders on British GKNs if we wished. I was then told to write to shipping companies, including the shipping company we used for importation of the German beer, to obtain quotes. I realized that as the UK is a net importer, there will be many ships returning to Europe without cargo, after having unloaded at British ports. So, it might well be possible to get low rates for what we asked them to do.

The most attractive quote came from a Glasgow shipping company, 80 pence/pallet. The company doing our importation of palletised German beer quoted 1.40/pallet. I fully expected the Glasgow outfit to get the work, but no - my unethical director told the importer what the Glasgow quote was and got them to quote the same price. Then he awarded them the empty pallet exportation contract, so that they had both sides of the business! A dirty trick of a British beer manufacturer! So, it's not just in the PRC where cheating takes place.

#68 Parent foxy - 2013-01-15

You're obviously a clever bloke - what you have written is excellent stuff both in its construction and its content. If you can't get a decent job in the States, I suggest you don't waste your time there. Even if you dislike teaching, it's still within your compass to make good money with little effort in the PRC.

#69 Parent Mancunian - 2013-01-15

Yes, she would. But as far as I know, that pension will have been frozen. I think she'll be advised by the UK Visa Office in Beijing what would be required. And the advice would be given her orally in Chinese. I'm sorry to say I'm too bored by all this to continue discussing it, but maybe others will respond.

I've enquired on ESLTB what would happen if one died in the PRC with a western passport. Ashes by plane to one's homeland, I reckon. That's no use if you're without family back home! But I won't go into it in more detail.

Sorry to hear that you're bored, Foxy; it was just that you have had a lot to say about pensions, and because nobody normally answers you, I thought that I should do you the courtesy; but fair enough, I will cease; anyway, sadly, nobody else would be interested in the subject.

As for the 'ashes by plane' concern, that you expressed- from what I read a couple of years ago, the Chinese expect the family/friends to actually pay for the body of the Dearly Departed. I know that one FT's family didn't have the wherewithal to make such a purchase, and his body was flogged to medical research. The hospital and its Mortuary have their costs to cover ,you see. I suppose eventually ashes are flushed down the drain...but not all at once.

#70 Parent Mancunian - 2013-01-15

My word, Dragonised, extremely well-written but I rather think that you have too much time on your hands. A word to the wise, old chum ; stick that oar in the water and break away from the doldrums-find yourself another position in China. Just try and do things differently this time; watch your p's and q's, and try smiling at the Chinese. Now, am I right or am I right?

#71 Parent foxy - 2013-01-15

Wouldn't your wife be elligible for a widow's state pension in event of your death? If so she would have to seek a grant of probate to get that?

Yes, she would. But as far as I know, that pension will have been frozen. I think she'll be advised by the UK Visa Office in Beijing what would be required. And the advice would be given her orally in Chinese. I'm sorry to say I'm too bored by all this to continue discussing it, but maybe others will respond.

I've enquired on ESLTB what would happen if one died in the PRC with a western passport. Ashes by plane to one's homeland, I reckon. That's no use if you're without family back home! But I won't go into it in more detail.

#72 Parent Dragonized - 2013-01-15

San Migs, I hope this isn't your last post.

I want to share something with you. A week back when I was still having the disagreement with Mancunian and to a lesser degree with ASTF I made a draft of a response towards both of them. However I wanted to make sure that I could put all of my thoughts down in coherent fashion and I wasn't going to just post before not thinking this over because it's an issue I feel strongly about. However by the time I was finished with the draft I had already decided to come to a disagreement with both of those posters in a courtly manner as I didn't feel that we were necessarily too far apart with our views (as much as I thought in the beginning).

I have Italicized the response. I do not want to give Mancunian or ASTF the idea that I am continuing the old argument or starting a new one. I merely wanted to share some thought about this as it is a broad topic. But I think San Migs you would enjoy it the most. Here goes:

I would never care to compare anything if I didn’t feel like it could possibly get better. I criticize something if there is an emotional attachment. If one the other hand someone was ripping off the system wherever they were living I don’t think they would want to hear any criticisms because it would jeopardize their state of living. You seem to tie in your wealth and lifestyle to how good China has it for you. But for me and others who do not care about living like this we know that China and the Chinese are not going around the world making it a better place to live in. At home in the United States of America I see at my local supermarkets older Chinese who have not worked in the USA for a day in their lives but getting governmental aid in the form of food stamps and paying for food like this. Many “able bodied” young Chinese women who used certain leverage also came to the states as well as Canada with unexplained wealth that they use to purchase houses with and there are cases of these women strutting Louis Vuitton bags walking into the local unemployment agency asking for welfare benefits. A Chinese American woman I know personally admitted to me recently back when she wasn’t a naturalized citizen yet that she used to collect unemployment for quite a while and work as a babysitter on the side and not pay any tax with this job. Many Chinese who are working illegally in the states as well as Canada also do this. You see these types of people drain the economic system and contribute nothing of value back, so in the English language we call them LEECHES.

Now, being myself in the 18 – 35 single male demographic range, I know that unless I am making a huge salary that is in the upper class white collar area my age and gender basically GUARANTEES that I am paying more taxes to Uncle Sam than ANY OTHER demographics. All of the jobs I have held since I went back to the states guarantees that I will be paying taxes, and with the commission only sales jobs I am currently holding due to the 1099 Independent Contractor status every business I close I will be paying the HIGHEST tax rate possible. It is a fact that I am paying for all of these things that some people feel entitled to. I do try and comfort myself by thinking that these folks are the bottom of the barrel and they provide the perfect anti-model of how not to act like a responsible citizen, and they are certainly no worse than say …a gentleman who came back with a foreign woman that he married along with a kid or two and because he can’t find a good job he collects welfare on behalf of his kids, at least in name. Not that I’m implying anyone posting on here has done this before. After all if they didn’t go back to Britain, America, or Canada then at least that’s credit on their behalf.

So now how is it that you somehow find it sensible and even intelligent (you and the “asdf” poster) to try and incriminate me, shame me, and make me feel as if I shouldn’t even dare open my mouth for questioning the integrity of the modern society of China? You basically implied that thinking about such things makes me lose integrity. I think you need to go back and re-read your western history and find out how in fact societal tolerance of opposing viewpoints led to real progress. What’s even more ridiculous is that you are buying into the notion that the Chinese have more intelligence for no other reason that they are Chinese and they are in your words the “salt of the earth”, “wonderful”, and “generous” when you have not provided ample evidence on ANY of these fancy adjectives. What entitles the Chinese to just go abroad and mooch off of the host system wherever they’re at and not only should a local citizen that is me pay for it but also be happy about doing this without a word out of my mouth.

You complain and lecture to me how I shouldn’t generalize and categorize the whole country, the whole culture, the whole people but you use the exact same rule of logic when you refute my claims and YOU do not give a good reason as to why you are in a better position to abuse this logic for no other reason than the fact that it is you that is speaking, so therefore you are right. Clearly a statement like “Chinese women are the salt of the earth” is such an absurd generalization that it can be applied to any demographic. Why not talk about African women, Korean women, Japanese women, or other groups of women like this? You wouldn’t say this unless you were careless or you are so arrogant that you can just throw whatever thing you want into a discussion. Going back to Silverboy’s experience on QQ Zone he clearly stated details and gave credible information. You just want to cover up anything negative tied in with any Chinese entity by stereotyping ANYTHING Western as being worse without providing any evidence. Your recent remarks about Facebook and Twitter were good examples. For your information people who post stupid things on Facebook and Twitter get punished in real life with loss of employment, incarceration, and public humiliation. Have you tried to research if the QQ Zone boy who posted tripe about Silverboy got caught? Have you contacted Silverboy and asked who this person even is?

I will say this to any expat who is thinking about or is already working in China: You should not be made to feel that you need to bow down, be too grateful, or to be respectful of the Chinese just because you’re working in china. Anybody who is working in China is contracted for their services and skills that they possess. You give your time and effort and the Chinese company pays you for your services, it’s as simple as that. Any expat who is already there needs to know that you do not owe anything to anybody as long as you are doing your job. If I stooped even a little bit to your level of thinking I should say that as western foreigners we go to china because we are really following the capital that was taken away from our own respective countries and so we go there to take back a little of what belongs to us in the first place. As another poster has said on this board: Foreigners in China owe the Chinese nothing! A country that expect all expats to register at the local police station within 24 -72 hours after arriving in the country as well as expecting release letters from your most recent former employer if you are switching jobs within China means that the powers that be views every foreigner as a possible Enemy Combatant to keep tabs on at all times. Recently while reading a book on Eastern Philosophy a citation from Sun Tzu’s The Art of War, “When combating the enemy, it is best to take the fight to their land” was used and I couldn’t help but feel that the people who came up with this would know what it meant the best, hence the fear of outsiders and the excessive control.

Can we all take a step back and look at our own respective behaviors for one minute? We have disagreed, yes. But we all have showed the ability to be mutually respectful towards one another, be empathetic enough to acknowledge one another's responses, and we were able to end the disagreements on civil terms without hating each others' guts. I think at the end of the day posters like Foxy, Mancunian, and maybe ASTF speak out of the fact that China provided them employment and a roof over their heads, and they are expressing themselves on some point of gratitude. Now I'm not going to let go of the possibility that some of the posters have been made to feel guilty for some reason and that is another possible reason why they have disagreed with me and with others posters like Silverboy. But at the end of the day Gratitude and Guilt are things that are possessed by more virtuous individuals, and any ideas/statements formed on those things shouldn't be disregarded. However at the same time I must state IMO that while there are Americans and Canadians of Chinese ancestry who show their gratitude towards their respective countries of citizenship, there are plenty who, having acquired green cards and citizenship in a different country who don't! This is why we live, observe, and come to our conclusions.

We can talk about this all day, but I want to ask anyone and everyone who has posted on here: Have you seen any major Chinese media or corporations or popular discussion forums even bring up the topic on the plight of expats and the crappy working conditions they are put through? Have we heard any famous Chinese speak out on behalf for the rights of expats working in China? No we haven't. I think one female expat teacher I met last year said it best to me: In China foreign teachers are seen as migrant workers, albeit ones making a higher salary than Chinese migrant workers but still looked down upon nonetheless as people with low status.

I would like to also state that overseas Chinese Language Media that isn't run by Taiwanese folks predominantly leer towards a pro-Chinese, pro-Communist government paradigm. These media outlets are freely allowed to run anywhere in Canada and the USA. The Chinese Flag is freely flown in Manhattan in New York City. Folks who live in North America can freely access tudou.com, youku.com, 56.com, and other youtube-like media entities. Ren-ren is also of course freely accessible. People may also freely talk shyte about the USA and Canada however they want even if they are living there without worrying too much about consequences like being taken in the middle of the night and "disappeared". Come to China and try flying an American flag anywhere outside. I do not need to repeat Facebook and youtube.

If Chinese people immigrate to a western country and can freely enjoy the benefits of governmental aid such as welfare, food stamps, and general charity from their adopted societies while talking freely about how the USA and Canada is this and that; Western countries aren't as good as China because of this and that then any expat living and working in China can and should freely criticize without having to worry about being labeled as feeling superior. After all expats aren't entitled to any government benefits from the Chinese government, so it is not exactly an even trade. As a matter of fact, criticizing on a discussion board is kind of a last resort as there really isn't any outlet in China for expats to go to.

While expats follow a set of rules and ethics and debate over the logic of judging certain groups of people, there are plenty of the same people who will continue to take and take more from the countries that they go to without having contributed a dime to the systems they are living in. While expats show concern over equality and altruism and talk about how one should not feel superior, there are folks from that defended category who do not care about anyone's opinions on right or wrong and will only continue to live to get ahead of everyone else.

Anyone who thinks I have an agenda to show people up and prove superiority is misunderstanding my point. I say some places are better than others not because I am racist or I have a fragile ego or such. I base my conclusions out of measuring how humanistic, compassionate, and logically intelligent a society is. By arguing against what I have said those posters show they are not timid about criticizing which they would only do towards people that they feel more familiar with(people from western countries). They may also feel they benefited from Chinese people and feel an obligation. Those traits are things that many Chinese can learn from and take, as there are not nearly enough who do.

#73 Parent foxy - 2013-01-14

I can accept you are happy where you are, you just can't accept alternative viewpoints from China.

If posters post against China, I've no problem with that. They're entitled to hold their own opinions.

I'd say lets just agree to disagree but I know you won't even go with that.

I'll let it go at that.

I'm sure Mancunian is well-meaning, as are you. I'll leave it at that.

#74 Parent Mancunian - 2013-01-14

I didn't personally attack you, so there is no need to get personal. If you want to attack the UK for all it's flaws fine, I still was not getting personal against you. Shall not respond to you anymore, as I am sure you try to get me wound up, to start a flame war.

Hello San Mig
I didn't notice that you had been out of order at all; your posts seem challenging, but that's a good thing. Anyway I think we all need attacking from time to time, it makes things more interesting; as long as occasionally one contributes something that makes others want to reply, and you certainly do that. Now, am I right or am I right? Carry on the good work , San Mig. When are you coming back to China?

#75 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-14

I didn't personally attack you, so there is no need to get personal. If you want to attack the UK for all it's flaws fine, I still was not getting personal against you. Shall not respond to you anymore, as I am sure you try to get me wound up, to start a flame war.

Mancunian is only trying to help AFAIK.

#76 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-14

You know what foxy, mr reynard, you win, I'm tired of your aggression towards me, it's a battle neither side can win, you have some enmity towards the UK, I do not. I can accept you are happy where you are, you just can't accept alternative viewpoints from China.

I'd say lets just agree to disagree but I know you won't even go with that.

Inspite of it all, good luck with your retirement in IM.

Peace out,
San Migs/Alex

#77 Parent foxy - 2013-01-14

Posters have posted as though westerners, including me, will all have testaments and should have bank accounts set up in their homelands. And if they don't have such bank accounts, they needn't be surprised if there're problems getting pensions. Absolute bull that's annoyed me a little - not true at all re my other pension from Sun Life via Xafinity paid to China in GBP annually easily and promptly.
If Brits stop posting nitpicking illogical guff, I'll stop lambasting the UK.

#78 Parent San Migs - 2013-01-14

Not all of us expats hanker for our homelands, certainly not me - I prefer being in China!

I don't understand why you have to put this part about homelands and China always in bold text? We know your views on scotland, and the UK in general. I can accept that you are content with China and have no desire to return to the UK, and fair play to you, you have found what works for you.

But you won't change everyones opinion. A mate of mine found out he had a brain tumour, which they misdiagnosed in China through ineptitude. I don't mean to turn it into a China vs the UK slanging match, but it was funny that when he got to Hong Kong, he was sent for a scan, and they couldn't believe the laughable care he received on the mainland. Each place in the world, be it Scotland, England, the UK as a whole,Hong Kong Sar, or China (mainland), is always going to have it's pros and cons, horses for courses.

Happy upcoming year of the snake,
SMGS

#79 Parent Mancunian - 2013-01-14

Not all of us expats hanker for our homelands, certainly not me - I prefer being in China!

Yes but there does seem to be many moaning losers out there who can't hack in in China, doesn't there? Mind you when they have grumbled their way home, they don't seem to get any work or anything to occupy themselves, so they continue grumbling about China. But I agree with you.

Wouldn't your wife be elligible for a widow's state pension in event of your death? If so she would have to seek a grant of probate to get that?

#80 Parent foxy - 2013-01-13

It surely must be the case that a goverment agency only uses citybank to pay you because you live in China and have not given them a UK normal account to pay into? I'm not telling you that that is the case, you understand-I just don't fully understand.

I don't fully understand either, but I do know they're based in Dublin, and I believe they also do transfers to retired teachers in the UK. In fact, they handle all public pension distribution on behalf of SPPA. As for the OAP state pension, that's not SPPA's responsibility.
As I have arranged things so that there is neither 'bricks and mortar' nor GBP in my name, I have no need for a will - so my wife needn't the services of a UK lawyer in the event of my death. But she will have to get a verified death certificate from the Beijing UK visa office. That will suffice.

#81 Parent Mancunian - 2013-01-13

The way it's set up can't be changed by me. SPPA is a govt agency that pays public pensions through Citibank. Despite my English I've been messed about by them both. It's now been more than a year since I reached 60. As for money, I have other money here that I can fall back on, in case of unexpected payment delays, and that is the same in the case of my wife.

My situation shows us what can happen to laowei abroad. The important thing is to have emergency funds available. Don't ever be totslly dependent on pension payments in case thomgs go [pear-shaped. I can say that SPPA and Citibank are both inefficient, inflexible and cunning. I also had trouble with the BOC, but that's been sorted now. I'll get there in the end!

Thanks for replying, it's interesting. I know little about CityBank, only that it is a UK International bank who specialise in currency. It surely must be the case that a goverment agency only uses citybank to pay you because you live in China and have not given them a UK normal account to pay into? I'm not telling you that that is the case, you understand-I just don't fully understand.

What about when you reach 65, surely you will need a British bank account for your state pension to be paid into? And what about cold weather payments, I expect you can kiss those goodbye?

#82 Parent foxy - 2013-01-13

However the money is being paid, it will probably be frozen for a long while until your executor applies for a grant of probate and the probate has been granted. Your wife would be well advised to brush up on her English while you are still alive and kicking, because she will be in for a long haul to get the pension flowing or trickling again.

The way it's set up can't be changed by me. SPPA is a govt agency that pays public pensions through Citibank. Despite my English I've been messed about by them both. It's now been more than a year since I reached 60. As for money, I have other money here that I can fall back on, in case of unexpected payment delays, and that is the same in the case of my wife.

My situation shows us what can happen to laowei abroad. The important thing is to have emergency funds available. Don't ever be totslly dependent on pension payments in case thomgs go [pear-shaped. I can say that SPPA and Citibank are both inefficient, inflexible and cunning. I also had trouble with the BOC, but that's been sorted now. I'll get there in the end!

#83 Parent Mancunian - 2013-01-13

Hey,SB - how goes it?
Yep, debit cards and all that crap. Enouigh said.
I neglected to reply to another poster re the payment of my pension instalments into a UK account, if I had one, but I don't. My teachers' pension is not the state old-age one, and is superannuated. My wife will qualify for 60% of what I get at present upon my death. So' it would be very self-serving of me to have my pension paid into a UK bank account, while she, being Chinese with dodgy English, and in China, would have a hell of a job trying to get money from those weasels at SPPA.
One week from now if SPPA has still not responded to my e-mails, I'll be lodging an extensive complaint in writing, as is my right. I'll go for the jugular. Brian should be turfed out on his ear!

It might be better for your wife if upon your death, the pension was being being paid through a bank-maybe they(the bank) would set her up an account to make sure they kept the business. However the money is being paid, it will probably be frozen for a long while until your executor applies for a grant of probate and the probate has been granted. Your wife would be well advised to brush up on her English while you are still alive and kicking, because she will be in for a long haul to get the pension flowing or trickling again.

I shouldn't worry about dying at the moment, that may be years away. I should imagine that all your pension problems at the moment stem from your lack of a bank account that they would normally automatically pay pensions into-these payments are usually paid into bank accounts; your situation has made things very difficult for them.

#84 Parent foxy - 2013-01-13

Hey,SB - how goes it?

Yep, debit cards and all that crap. Enouigh said.
I neglected to reply to another poster re the payment of my pension instalments into a UK account, if I had one, but I don't. My teachers' pension is not the state old-age one, and is superannuated. My wife will qualify for 60% of what I get at present upon my death. So' it would be very self-serving of me to have my pension paid into a UK bank account, while she, being Chinese with dodgy English, and in China, would have a hell of a job trying to get money from those weasels at SPPA.
One week from now if SPPA has still not responded to my e-mails, I'll be lodging an extensive complaint in writing, as is my right. I'll go for the jugular. Brian should be turfed out on his ear!

Return to Index › Re: On hacking from the outside

Go to another board -