TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Getting Started
#1 Parent ASTF - 2013-02-06
Re: Getting Started

Spain used to be a good bet to find a job but with current economic situation it can't be counted on as much as it used to be. You might find a few positions across France, Italy or Portugal. Those countries with developed systems of teaching English in public schools e.g. Germany, Austria, the Benelux countries and Scandinavian countries don't generally employ rookie teachers. You can always find lots of summer work in the UK but its usually long hours for not much cash. Your best bet might be countries like Poland or the Czech Republic where there is a good apetite for esl.

http://www.teachingenglishinpoland.com/qanda.html

http://www.eslbase.com/advice/czech-republic

Domenic Antolik - 2013-02-06
Getting Started

So I am a 22 year old male native English speaker from New Jersey, USA. This coming May I will graduate from Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, with a BA in Economics and a Minor in Political Science. A week after I graduate I will be attending the University of Texas at Austin for a dual four-week program that earns both a CELTA certificate and a TESL/TEFL certificate from the University of Texas.

Although I have no teaching experience and am not capable in any other langue other than English, I'd like to think I have a nice resume built up. I have interned at two financial firms and for my congressman, I also have worked at a very large hospital, and most recently as an executive assistant at a local company.

My question is, as an American with my background, how difficult will it be securing a job in Western Europe (They prefer EU applicants over Americans)? I'd rather not do anything in Asia, but Eastern Europe is a fine alternative. Also, what would be my best route after gaining my certificates? Are there specific places I should look at for entry-level applicants? Mommy & Daddy will not be feeding me money for this, so whatever job I secure, I will need it to cover all my living expenses. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Return to Index › Getting Started

Go to another board -