TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Free Text-to-Speech programme for Chinese
#1 Parent San Migs - 2013-02-18
Re: Don't grumble, bake your own apple crumble

I still think dui bu dui is what your average chinese speaker would use in day to day conversation. Nuances, you see.

#2 Parent Dragonized - 2013-02-14

Besides, the use of pinyin just shows that you are too intellectually challenged to learn characters really. It is also tricky to read, as we instinctively read anything in the latin Alphabet as our native language whether that be English, French, German etc.

I would say "intellectually challenged" would be an accurate description of some of the newer posters who have been on here since December, although one of them has been using other pseudonyms. I am happy to find that there are good folks such as you yourself who also came on here around the same time to balance the equation :)

Also pinyin doesn’t really convey the meaning as ‘shi’ for example: icould mean ‘it is’, lion, time, stone etc. It is hard to distinguish between them without characters.

Haha, good observation.

Regardless, those who write in pinyin just remind me of the sad losers in bars in China, who think that their basic vocabulary of bastardised Chinese is really impressing the cheap whores in the bar. Classics such as:

Neeow (pronounced like a cat with a meowing problem -it is supposed to be: Ni Hao, haha. No more translations into standard pinyin from hereon)
Pee Jew (or better yet Sing Tao Pee Jew) - they don’t know how to order anything else, why would they?
Jigger - Because items in China, don’t have names, they just have pictures?
Washer Meigua ren/ Woe she Meigua ren (Those that have actually heard this, there are some beautiful melons going around).
She She (A patronising false gesture of thanks from a loser laowai)
Boocheedow (An expression of confusion, not knowing something such as the basics of the Chinese language).
Woe She Wan Nee / Woe eyenee - Real chat up lines are never needed when you are paying to sleep with a girl anyway.

Although I feel worn out from dealing with so many weasels and useless types who will lie and speak nonsense on this board, I can't help but come back due to the rewards I get too. This passage was just too funny! You made my day!

#3 Parent ASTF - 2013-02-14

You're being a little harsh on some of your fellow FTs just because they piss pronounce a lot of their worms. A large proportion of Chinese have the same problem speaking putonghua and they were born here!

#4 Parent Mancunian S - 2013-02-13

Although I’m against an English only policy on most expat boards, I would expect English only on an ESL board.
Besides, the use of pinyin just shows that you are too intellectually challenged to learn characters really. It is also tricky to read, as we instinctively read anything in the latin Alphabet as our native language whether that be English, French, German etc.

Also pinyin doesn’t really convey the meaning as ‘shi’ for example: icould mean ‘it is’, lion, time, stone etc. It is hard to distinguish between them without characters.

Regardless, those who write in pinyin just remind me of the sad losers in bars in China, who think that their basic vocabulary of bastardised Chinese is really impressing the cheap whores in the bar. Classics such as:

Neeow (pronounced like a cat with a meowing problem -it is supposed to be: Ni Hao, haha. No more translations into standard pinyin from hereon)
Pee Jew (or better yet Sing Tao Pee Jew) - they don’t know how to order anything else, why would they?
Washer Meigua ren/ Woe she Meigua ren (Those that have actually heard this, there are some beautiful melons going around).
Boocheedow (An expression of confusion, not knowing something such as the basics of the Chinese language).
Woe She Wan Nee / Woe eyenee - Real chat up lines are never needed when you are paying to sleep with a girl anyway.

Hello Dear Boy
I'm sorry you don't think there's a place for a bit of light-hearted use of pinyin on a forum for FT's working in China- I'm glad that you managed to avoid it yourself in your long-winded complaint- Hahahaha. I imagine you'd go down a bomb at a party-a mortuary technicians party, maybe haha. Jokes aside, have a word with Dragonised because it was he who first started using pinyin, which led me astray and I thought, well, what's good for the Dragon is good.............

You suggest that I am interlectually-challenged; well, could be, I am only an oral English teacher...now ..am...I.. no can't resist this difficult to understand long chunk of Chinese without tones..na me wo shi dui de hai shi wo shi dui de?

#5 Parent John O’Shei - 2013-02-13

Although I’m against an English only policy on most expat boards, I would expect English only on an ESL board.

#6 Parent Mancunian S - 2013-02-13

Do some posters post to show how much of the local language they know, or how much they actually LACK the knowledge?

I agree that it was a bit silly of me to use that Chinese in a reply about fish'n'chips to Leveller, a party-line activist, with an alias or two up his sleeve.

As for my using Mandarin on this forum, well, it's only fun; don't forget, I have been totally honest and made a point of admitting several times that I am only in the very first stages of learning Mandarin. I hope that I do show a lack of knowledge and make loads of mistakes-the idea was, was that posters like yourself who are totally fluent in Mandarin, can correct me and I welcome that...alas you have shown no desire to offer a little olive branch in this direction. I only started using Mandarin in reaction to you yourself using it- ah ,that's good I thought, this bloke will set me right......... wo shi dui de hai shi wo shi dui de?

#7 Parent Dragonized - 2013-02-13

Don't need the pinyin in the response thanks very much, this happens to be an ENGLISH discussion boards.

Do some posters post to show how much of the local language they know, or how much they actually LACK the knowledge?

#8 Parent San Migs - 2013-02-12

Thanks for answering. I think it is hard to get freshly packaged rocket salad as in the west though yes, fair play, you are more creative and energetic in the kitchen, I don't bother much beyond noodles/pasta. I did like my cereal for breakfast in China though, can't stand smelly eggs or greasy pancakes like the Chinese eat for morning break fast. Don't need the pinyin in the response thanks very much, this happens to be an ENGLISH discussion boards.

Regards,
SMGS

#9 Parent Mancunian S - 2013-02-11
Don't grumble, bake your own apple crumble

Oh true, but it goes very well, mushy peas with gravy is the traditional accompaniment.

Now then,no need to get your handkerchief in a twist, but what do you cook and eat with regularity?

I assume the second sentence means, we are no longer talking about fish'n'chips, because we normally go to the chippy to get those. So, I'll take it as, what would I as an FT cook and eat in China? Just about everything-salads-cornish pasties-tasty steak pies-roast chicken dinners; using table top oven-bread maker-microwave-gas hob, et ceteras. cong ming de FT zhi dao zenme zuo steak pies he kao mian bao- am I right or am I right?

#10 Parent San Migs - 2013-02-11
Re: Free Text-to-Speech programme for Chinese

Oh true, but it goes very well, mushy peas with gravy is the traditional accompaniment.

Now then,no need to get your handkerchief in a twist, but what do you cook and eat with regularity?

#11 Parent Mancunian S - 2013-02-11

Now I don't for sure, mancunian s, whether the chips are still fried in fat or not. But after all this horse meat scandal in lasagne, they could be fried in mule fat for all I know. I do KNOW that Harry Ramsden's is one of the best fish and chips meals I ever ate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Ramsden's

I also (as a northerner, forgive me!) don't understand the southern liking for chips with mayonaisse or just dry and plain. Curry sauce, hot beef gravy, or mushy peas, these are all necessary condiments in my view, even some brown sauce or ketchup, although personally I prefer the curry sauce or gravy and the mushy peas.

Unless anyone from the south of england can correct me, what are chips commonly served with?:-)

Hahahaha mule fat eh? Could that be why we have posters who are always critisising respectable Chinese schools against all reasonable evidence, because they have been frying their chips in mule fat?

Donking salad cream on chips is an unfortunate traditional habit; however, curry sauce doesn't sound all that traditional does it-am I right or am I right?

Yes ,I have spotted Harry Ramsden fish'n'chips turn write at the frozen horse burgers and they can be found in the next aisle close to fish fingers. lol

#12 Parent San Migs - 2013-02-11

Now I don't for sure, mancunian s, whether the chips are still fried in fat or not. But after all this horse meat scandal in lasagne, they could be fried in mule fat for all I know. I do KNOW that Harry Ramsden's is one of the best fish and chips meals I ever ate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Ramsden's

I also (as a northerner, forgive me!) don't understand the southern liking for chips with mayonaisse or just dry and plain. Curry sauce, hot beef gravy, or mushy peas, these are all necessary condiments in my view, even some brown sauce or ketchup, although personally I prefer the curry sauce or gravy and the mushy peas.

Unless anyone from the south of england can correct me, what are chips commonly served with?:-)

#13 Parent Mancunian S - 2013-02-11

Is that because of all the terrible fish and chips? Please feed my sharks....LOL

Not at all, Turnoi, you can still get wonderful fish'n'chips, especially up North where it is still fried in fat; however, you should only participate once a month, unless wife/girlfriend likes a bit fat belly. My wife, she likes jellied eels; which didn't surprise me at all; it looks just as inviting as many Chinese dishes- am I right or am I right? Your crocs and sharks are welcome to have my share of the eels. Don't touch British Supermarket beef pies, because they may be horse pies-read the news?

Return to Index › Re: Free Text-to-Speech programme for Chinese

Go to another board -