TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › QQIntl.exe on Linux tutorial.
#1 Parent Dragonized - 2013-02-24
Re: QQIntl.exe on Linux tutorial.

Better idea would simply to stick with MSN messenger !Yahoo messenger, Skype, mIRC, Tango, and many many others that don't have fatal holes with their software security. QQ Intl. is only addictive to expats if those expats lived in a cave all their lives.

#2 Parent San Migs - 2013-02-23

Again, tencent won't support english QQ International for linux because they can't foist their matchmaking ads and spyware that can be rooted into your system on linux users. Blame tencent for limited support for english linux users, and much greater support for chinese apple (iOS) users.

#3 Parent Mancunian - 2013-02-22

Tencent is something I would install if I had a spare computer which didn't contain any important information and/or documents. A backdoor for spyware and viruses is what this software is. Ad-aware won't even work properly if I have Tencent stuff installed as scanning things can bring about a freezing of the computer. Unwelcome extra amounts of malware will show up on the scan results if you install things like this.

I read a remark on a Linux forum which rang very true "You shouldn't have QQ installed on your PC unless you have Linux"(mind you he blurted that one out without knowing how to achieve it) I don't even have anti-virus programme installed, and all seasoned Linux users are the same- these computer viruses cannot affect Linux.

The thing is this, Dragonised; if you are an FT in China, it's a big advantage to use QQ; and I am talking about chatting up the gals. But you are right, it can destroy your Windows, and can be a big security risk...but not if you use Linux. Have you ever thought of dual-booting your Windows with Linux? It is very safe installing Linux Mint or Ubuntu on a Windows computer-you will not lose your Windows. Furthemore if you use a certain QQ in Mandarin (Longene QQ) it is risk-free and you soon learn where things are- but of course you know Hanzi, so no problem for you. QQIntl.exe on Linux comes with a small risk of a cock-up upon installation.

By the way, I am not an undercover agent for evil Chinese outfits as you suggested in another post..hahaha.

#4 Parent Dragonized - 2013-02-22

Tencent is something I would install if I had a spare computer which didn't contain any important information and/or documents. A backdoor for spyware and viruses is what this software is. Ad-aware won't even work properly if I have Tencent stuff installed as scanning things can bring about a freezing of the computer. Unwelcome extra amounts of malware will show up on the scan results if you install things like this.

#5 Parent Mancunian - 2013-02-21

Blame tencent and their lack of support for linux where they can't install spyware, woops, my mistake, adverts for dating chinese women, and thus can't log what english linux users are doing.

I'm afraid you've lost me, San Mig, I wasn't blaming any-body for any-thing; I merely posted a tutorial I wrote on how you get QQIntl in English up and running in Linux-hahaha.

As for blame- I'm not into the blame-game; I have found it can impede one's progress in life. Listen, Dear Boy, if all your grumbling about China is bringing you success and fortune, I say, more power to your elbow, and you should increase your grumbling...if it works for you...maybe get yourself a tannoy and tell all and sundry just how evil they are, and laugh all the way to the bank.

#6 Parent San Migs - 2013-02-21

Blame tencent and their lack of support for linux where they can't install spyware, woops, my mistake, adverts for dating chinese women, and thus can't log what english linux users are doing.

Mancunian - 2013-02-21
QQIntl.exe on Linux tutorial.

Here is a mini-tutorial I have just written for a Linux Forum. I know some FT's use Linux; they may very well be Sniggering Hyenas rather than the more enlightened Groveling Weasels, but eh chaps, we are all enlightened in the respect that we use Linux. I made a point of warning that it could be risky..but what the hell, Linux is free ;just make sure you back up your pics and stuff-though only a small risk. You can copy and paste the command lines

by dumplings
Right, this is how you can do it, if your particular computer is compliant- I myself have installed(during the past week) QQIntl1.5 on 3 x32bit Mint 13 machines- it's happy on two of those but keeps crashing on the third. I say it's happy, it is for live messaging, and sending and receiving files without crashing-don't know about Video calls. Right ,do this in terminal;-

1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
2. sudo apt-get update
3. sudo apt-get install wine

Now you have installed wine(the full monty) click on winetricks in apps and install .riched20 and IE7. If asked, do not allow Internet Explorer to update or allow it to be the default. If IE7 does not do the trick you can uninstall it by going through all the hidden files in Home and delete any reference to IE7. If you just ask Linux to uninstall,it won't do a proper job, it will leave troublesome little files around, which will cause you trouble. Then try IE8. One of my machines, I find IE8 is compatible and the other IE7- no rhyme nor reason!

Now install QQIntl1.5(with windows programme loader-right click and you will see it)

When you come to sign into QQ, click the top little window and put your username in-but for the bottom line do not click inside that window or QQ will crash-rather click on the QQ keyboard next to window,-and that's the way you put your password in.

The good news is, is it's all in English and I find it very stable.

Be warned, this is not without risk, and it could be if you are unlucky, you will need to reinstall Linux.

Return to Index › QQIntl.exe on Linux tutorial.

Go to another board -