TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Give it a rest, please, Mancunian, would you, please?
#1 Parent Mancunian - 2013-03-08
Re: Give it a rest, please, Mancunian, would you, please?

For some older F.T.s China is fine way to live an active lifestyle. I know an older Australian male that told me China saved his life. He was on the brink of suicide until his brother invited him to teach at a public school. He enjoyed working with students and has been here 9 years. He just avoids Chinese food and Chinese women.
He feels that China offers him more freedom because he can say what he wants without some politically correct challenge to his views. If he wants to relieve himself, he can on any street corner. For all its ills, China does offer something better to some. I myself have a better life than back home. I don't have to pay 50% of my salary in taxes and rent like back home that left me penniless every month. For those that can lose themselves in China like Foxy, my Australian friend, and to a certain extent myself- good luck.

A really good post(I suppose because I agree with it) I have met the same type of FT's and have listened to their similar stories of how they got to come to China and what a blessing and a life-saving experience to them it's been. I should say that it isn't just the old farts like me who have found a welcome oasis in China- I mean, it can be a bit of a shithole place with an unfamiliar approach to man-management- so good for the young FT too- character building stuff- toiughen up the little shits Hahaha.

I should say, I should admit, that some FT's, a small proportion, due to no fault of their own, have been unlucky in China. It occurs that one can have a bad run of luck in life- things sometimes refuse to pan out well.

#2 Parent juanisaac - 2013-03-08

For some older F.T.s China is fine way to live an active lifestyle. I know an older Australian male that told me China saved his life. He was on the brink of suicide until his brother invited him to teach at a public school. He enjoyed working with students and has been here 9 years. He just avoids Chinese food and Chinese women.
He feels that China offers him more freedom because he can say what he wants without some politically correct challenge to his views. If he wants to relieve himself, he can on any street corner. For all its ills, China does offer something better to some. I myself have a better life than back home. I don't have to pay 50% of my salary in taxes and rent like back home that left me penniless every month. For those that can lose themselves in China like Foxy, my Australian friend, and to a certain extent myself- good luck.

#3 Parent San Migs - 2013-03-07

I can afford to do that because due to age I am at the end of my working life, and I have other options for jobs if I want to continue working just for fun, and in that respect I do not depend on a system like that in China.

Problem is T, to agree with Mancunian, what if you are a late 40s/early fifties FT with no other options and for who China does give you the respect you can't get elsewhere?

You have done well to retire as a wealthy man, but what of those who haven't?

Return to Index › Re: Give it a rest, please, Mancunian, would you, please?

Go to another board -