TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: re: visas?
#1 Parent Dragonized - 2013-03-21
Re: re: visas?

Well, I did receive an email a while back from a Chinese recruiter who included a Word Document that explained how expats can obtain legal visas to work and stay. One of them was the "investment" visa where a minimum of 170,000 yuan was required to start a business. The government will give you a permanent, no limits type of residents permit if you do that. Of course, there is the spouse visa that Foxy has stayed on as he has stated himself. While marketing, sales, and customer service jobs are not easy to find in China they are not impossible to find either so long as you put up with staying in the weaseling cities such as Beijing and Shanghai. Come think of it, DaShan didn't quite compliment China like some of the expats I met around those places. Are some people on permanent hypnosis?

#2 Parent Mancunian - 2013-03-20

More nonsense because the OP ends his posts with the usual I won't enter into a debate about this, yet he posts his opinions which others may differ or disagree with on a ESL teachersboard.

What does drinking/smoking have to do with ESL?

Hello San Mig
It's about time you and Foxy Poster kissed and made up. You both seem to be nice blokes to me...maybe a tad sensitive.

No, drinking and smoking is just what FT's do when they are not screwing the students hahaha... apart from one who likes to chase the students' dads. Hahahaha. Fair play to him though.

#3 Parent Shaggie - 2013-03-20

China is good for older laowai who just want to drink, smoke, and have sex with students and hookers. Apart from that China does not have much to offer.

#4 Parent San Migs - 2013-03-20

More nonsense because the OP ends his posts with the usual I won't enter into a debate about this, yet he posts his opinions which others may differ or disagree with on a ESL teachersboard.

What does drinking/smoking have to do with ESL?

#5 Parent foxy - 2013-03-20

I’m talking more about those that didn’t really want to come to China, but did it for a token 1 year spell, just to get it on their C.V though.

I'm not at all convinced it's good to have it on your CV that you have taught in China. But I wouldn't be averse to changing my opinion on that!
An ex MOD policewoman I ran into in China said that it was bad from a security aspect and would prevent someone obtaining a job in the security services back home. I reckon that might well be the case.

#6 Parent John O’Shei - 2013-03-19

That’s O.K, everybody is entitled to their opinion, it is a message board, lol.

I’m talking more about those that didn’t really want to come to China, but did it for a token 1 year spell, just to get it on their C.V though.

#7 Parent Mancunian - 2013-03-19

And some of them are bloody good teachers well-liked by their students. Still, I wonder why they come to China as young adults. I think they're wasting their time over here. They'd be better employed trying to find real jobs in the west.

China's tailor-made for middle-aged louwai and older folks who are seeking cushy numbers, especially those who drink and smoke. Much more freedom to do so, and very cheap too!

That's what I think. But I'm not asking readers to debate this with me. In fact, I won't enter into a debate about this. Just my opinion, that's all!

I agree with Foxy Poster, nothing wrong with fags&slosh. In fact in one respect twenty fags a day can keep the doctor away; and the reason being is that cigarettes will help speed up your metabolism and fend off that paunch. No, overweight around the waist/abdominally Obese/Centrally Obese, will build fat around the liver, heart and other organs- a fast track to the morgue. Central Obesity starts at 35" for a woman and 37" for a man. So reach for a 七匹狼 或者 黄山 and stay slim, although I preferred the first brand.

Yes backpackers do tend to be popular with the students, but I don't know about staying at home; when you're young sometimes you just have to follow your heart while you can. As you said China is good for us old farts hahaha. Well said Foxy.

#8 Parent foxy - 2013-03-19

Yeah, they’ve been around for years though. These younger intern/backpacker types that only come for one year and bugger off are more common than they used to be.

And some of them are bloody good teachers well-liked by their students. Still, I wonder why they come to China as young adults. I think they're wasting their time over here. They'd be better employed trying to find real jobs in the west.

China's tailor-made for middle-aged louwai and older folks who are seeking cushy numbers, especially those who drink and smoke. Much more freedom to do so, and very cheap too!

That's what I think. But I'm not asking readers to debate this with me. In fact, I won't enter into a debate about this. Just my opinion, that's all!

#9 Parent John O’Shei - 2013-03-19

Yeah, they’ve been around for years though. These younger intern/backpacker types that only come for one year and bugger off are more common than they used to be.

#10 Parent San Migs - 2013-03-19

Anyone who really wants to live in prosperity in China will find a way to get out of the ESL industry.

True, but then do what? Pose as a pretend foreign partner in a company? Would your boss then provide your Z visa?

Aside from expats who come here on contracts, most ESL teachers have no other skills to offer. Learning Chinese well may make them more valuable animals however.

#11 Parent San Migs - 2013-03-19

They will be completely unprofessional, get drunk too often and not take anything seriously

To be fair John I've also met a lot of 40 somethings like that, running away from child support and debts and so on. How you can runaway to China and not look after a kid you spawned is beyond me (edited). They will then booze and whinge about China, all while enjoying a younger chinese gf....very sad individuals.

#12 Parent John O’Shei - 2013-03-19

Would love to go back to Dalian, had 2 semi decent job offers there, but found the finer details of the contracts to be questionable.

Would be nice to know which cities to go for, but if we were stupid enough to post that, we’d ruin it for everyone. I currently live in such a city, one of the world’s largest with a name that most foreigners can’t pronounce, lol.

#13 Parent Dragonized - 2013-03-19

Welcome back John! I am most glad to see you.

#14 Parent Dragonized - 2013-03-19

Qingdao, Dalian, Yantai, Xiamen, X'ian and Kunming are more examples of such cities where you can expect to receive at best very average pay despite the general relative prosperity there.

Eeew.... I have traveled to some of these cities myself and I know well enough that making 4000 to 5000 Yuan a month in these types of places will not insure a very high quality of life.

Chinese school/university bosses, recruiters and agents are on the ball. They know they can offer low salaries and still get laowei to teach EFL in the most desirable cities.

On the ball with exploitation, that's for sure. Making someone else filthy rich using your time and your energy isn't a wise choice. Anyone who really wants to live in prosperity in China will find a way to get out of the ESL industry.

#15 Parent Sid - 2013-03-18

Chinese school/university bosses, recruiters and agents are on the ball. They know they can offer low salaries and still get laowei to teach EFL in the most desirable cities. Qingdao, Dalian, Yantai, Xiamen, X'ian and Kunming are more examples of such cities where you can expect to receive at best very average pay despite the general relative prosperity there.
By contrast, backwaters offer relatively high salaries because it's hard to attract laowei to work there.
Of course, I'm speaking generally. There will always be exceptions!

#16 Parent John O’Shei - 2013-03-18

That’s exactly why I refuse to take jobs in really desirable locations these days, some foreigners seem to wish to sell their soul to live there. Hainan and Chengdu are said to be examples of such places where older people will accept a pointlessly low salary because they are living off a pension.

However, it is not just the old folks that cause this kind of problem. An old boss and very good friend of mine in a different industry often complains about some younger foreigners only being here for the sake of a token year of China experience on their CV. They will be completely unprofessional, get drunk too often and not take anything seriously. Some young Russian/C.I.S women of lower moral virtue will openly admit to being in China on an husband seeking, gold digging mission too. Such younger people, male or female have been said to take lower salaries to secure a place in their preferred city of choice.

Return to Index › Re: re: visas?

Go to another board -