TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Avoid Start Consulting and Shaoyang Like the Plague
#1 Parent Alternate - 2013-03-25
Re: Avoid Start Consulting and Shaoyang Like the Plague

Sssh... Old hyenas do not take real life too well. Best leave him to wander off and re-find the pack with Mary Ann and Ellen :)

#2 Parent Stevo - 2013-03-24

No, you are wrong. In China your house/apartment/land can be aqquired at the whim of some jumped-up public official ( often corruptly involved with a property developer ) and there is little recourse. I know people who have been forcibly removed from their land and recieved little or no compensation. This can't happen in the West where there is plentiful media scrutiny, and where the public fight back. Many infrastructure projects, or even shopping centres don't proceed back home because of public opposition. As you know, in China there is no freedom of the press, the majority of the media outlets, eg, television, newspapers, are state owned. Also no freedom of speech. Why do think Chinese are so scared to speak out and stand up for their rights? Maybe you have heard the word "prison" before?

China safer? Tell that to foreigners in China who have been punched in the face for no reason, or for refusing the advances of Chinese men. As far as theft goes and house robberies, China is not safer, that's for sure! Also, if you are a scammer in China you are much more likely to get away with it. I have complained about scammers here, even put their names and adresses all over the internet and on multiple e-mail cc's, and nothing seems to ever happen, even when the police know about it.

#3 Parent Dragonized - 2013-03-22

New York has become one of the safest cities to live in America. Some folks are too happily indulged in their own ignorance. If I can never find success unless I marry a Chinese wife, then may I never be successful! I do know however that there are literally billions of folks out there who will define success as something else other than living in China. San Migs do not let folks drag you down. If one tells you that you can only belong into 2 categories either that of a "successful" expat teacher or a "miserable" expat teacher both of which requires that you believe these are the only 2 options then you can be happy to know that for the rest of your life, you will never feel truly down about yourself ever again like before you met this "kind" poster . Now, no matter how insolent you may feel your mind can become you have a consistent, low standard in which to measure against. Pity the poor souls who are ignorant, for they will always be looking on the outside for fullfillment, and not within themselves. You never asked about working in Nepal, remember?

#4 Parent San Migs - 2013-03-21

Your point about rule of law is a fair one, but ANY western cities? New york and London, unsafe as they are, and personally london is not that bad, do not equate all western cities.

#5 Parent foxy - 2013-03-21

You might well be right re newbies and experienced TEFLERs avoiding coming to China to teach EFL. Ditto re Dragonized's advice. It's indeed a crock o' shit to spend a lot of money to come here and then be cheated and sent away.

Whether one is teaching legally or not, one is always at risk re students' negative opinions or so-called such opinions, conveyed by one's unscrupulous Chinese bosses. That's the trouble here - one can be driven off by either students or Chinese lie-telling staff or both.

The Chinese cannot be trusted!

#6 Parent Mancunian - 2013-03-21

They should listen to D. China is a country to be avoided. Arrogant and greedy selfish people, no rule of law, no freedom.

What I have found is this:- FT's are very often the dregs of Western society, who couldn't make it in competition with their own fellows. Now, we have two types of dregs- the bad kind and the good kind- let's not forget that tasty Marmite started off as the dregs; so not all bad. The bad kind are those naturally born with an axe to grind-they almost broke free from the womb grumbling about one thing or another. The bad kind of dregs never fitted in back home in New York, London or wherever; therefore, they most certainly won't fit in in China. The good dregs, just didn't fit in but are generally kind hearted folk; now when they get to China, they are like pigs in shit-they find themselves fragrant Chinese wives- they get friendly with the Chinese and they have at last fallen on their feet.

What a load of old balderdash about the rule of law-you'll be a lot safer walking the streets of Beijing at night than any Western cities. Am I right or am I right?

#7 Parent Stevo - 2013-03-21

They should listen to D. China is a country to be avoided. Arrogant and greedy selfish people, no rule of law, no freedom.

#8 Parent foxy - 2013-03-20

Don't ever listen to the recruiters, they are rude, unhelpful and forget that you were even there. They said come to China we will get you your work visa. So I cam no work visa.

Negative stuff, indeed. Let's have your ideas re +ve stuff!

So, whom should we listen to?
A) agents
B) direct employers
C) other recruiters (except for the afore-mentioned fraudster)
D) those who say China should be shunned by foreigners who wish to work in the EFL industry.

Return to Index › Re: Avoid Start Consulting and Shaoyang Like the Plague

Go to another board -