TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Positions in Taiwan - ESL discussion
#1 Parent Rheno747 - 2005-07-15
I wouldn't work for 'by-the-hour' jobs - ESL discussion

I wouldn't accept a by-the-hour position. Schools that offer these jobs are really interested in cutting costs, which means they're putting profit before all else, including you and your students. You need jobs that pay you for every second you are here--a salary position, in other words. Sure, by the hour jobs seem great on paper, but in Thailand there's a problem.

In Thailand, you'd get screwed if you got paid by the hour. There are so many holidays and breaks in Thailand, you'd be sitting probably 40% of the year not getting paid if you were paid by the hour. Unfortunately, you STILL have to eat and maybe even pay rent on those holidays and breaks. That's when the job sneaks up on you and devours your finances. By-the-hour jobs can break you easily in the land of Thai.

#2 Parent Monica & Fayaz GREAT Experienced Teachers! www.conkaba.piczo.com - 2005-07-07
some schools pay by the hour - ESL discussion

hello, usually it is 6 month or 1 year, some schools pay by the hour

Kristie - 2005-07-03
Positions in Taiwan - ESL discussion

Is it necessary to sign a one year contract while teaching in Taiwan, or would I be able to go over there and sign a contract for 2 or 3 months to see if I like it first, then decide how I want to proceed from there??

Thanks,

Kristie

Return to Index › Positions in Taiwan - ESL discussion

Go to another board -