TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Abuse of trust?
#1 Parent John O'Shei - 2013-04-21
Re: Abuse of trust?

Seem to be too many do-gooders on websites like this, they like to perpetuate the myth/stereotype that China is a "conservative society", it is nothing like that. Neither are Chinese women "virtuous" or "traditional". Believe that BS at your peril!

I have often got the impression that China is a conservative society BUT... it is going through a stage of transition, young people are rebellious, care more about fashion and pop music that old people would hate, old moral values are slipping away in the chase for money etc. There might be some similarities to Western societies in the 60s and 70s in my opinion. Me? I'm more interested in this new and upcoming China, the creative types, the new found energy and passion amongst some etc.

I'm not sure about the do-gooders. They are either Chinese people (who portray themselves as the victims) trying to infiltrate this board, people with a guilty conscience, genuinely boring people or newbies that haven't seen enough in China (or life) yet. Also some foreigners go through a stage of trying too hard to adapt to China or accept the culture, but 'foreigners accepting the culture' in the eyes of some Chinese people means the equivalent of getting raped without getting physically touched. Basically being taken advantage of by them and treated like a serf.

Return to Index › Re: Abuse of trust?

Go to another board -