TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › How can you expect to live with 7000RMB? - ESL discussion *Link*
#1 Parent Gregory - 2005-07-07
...Cherry English School

In Response To: 7000RMB in Shanghai - ESL discussion (jinchafa)

...I have been advised to enter China on a tourist visa and then the school will apply for my teaching credentials. From all indications suggested by the State Department this is not a very smart idea.
...if you go to China under a false guise i.e. tourist versus working teacher you can be incarcerated for attempting to give "false information". It is also understood that the US Embassy canot help you in this situation.
Can anyone help with the real facts? I find it hard to believe that an agent in China representing a school would suggest such an action by their future teachers.

#2 Parent jinchafa - 2005-06-16
7000RMB in Shanghai - ESL discussion

Despite what some teachers will wrongfully tell you, 7000RMB in Shanghai is well below what you can get. Actually, Shanghai or not, you should expect at least 7000RMB. My only disclaimer to that statement is that if you work in a Western province or a very poor city, less that 7000 may be ok; however, be sure you are getting accomodation and all utilities paid.

#3 Parent Chunping Wu - 2005-06-15
That depends! - ESL discussion

Fayaz and Monica:
Seven grands is pretty high, but beware if free accommodation and other conveniences included. Shanghai can be pretty expensive in those.
Alex

#4 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2005-06-15
It depends.... - ESL discussion

Hi Fayaz and Monica

How far your salary of 7000RMB goes in Shanghai depends less on the city, than it does on yourselves!

It depends on what you mean by living well.

Although Shanghai is more expensive than many other cities in China, it's still not THAT expensive!

If you either regularly buy your own food to cook from the market or mostly eat in the smaller cheaper dumpling and noodle restaurants, use taxi's sparingly(by the way there's a good, relatively inexpensive metro system in Shanghai), and don't frequent the numerous beerbars, coffee bars and nightclubs often, you should be able to live nearly as cheaply in Shanghai as you could in any other city in China.

My girlfriend and I cook at home everyday, always use public transport and almost never visit the nightbars. Yes,I'm a regular skinflint! We spend on average between 1500-2000RMB a month.

This means, I'm able to on average, save at least 4000RMB every month from my 6000RMB salary. We're happy, but our lifestyle may not be for you!

There are two important points to consider regarding your salary. Firstly does your school/company provide free accomodation for you? Accomodation is CONSIDERABLY more expensive in Shanghai, than it is in most other Chinese cities. I personally think it might be difficult for you to find a decent place for less than 1500RMB a month.

Also, as I touched on before, Shanghai is quite westernized with an abundance of nightlife and if you are a couple who like that kind of scene, you'll find a lot of your salary being quickly eaten away.

That's the problem with cities like Shanghai. If you don't frequent the bars to often you can live as cheaply as anywhere else, but that's a BIG If!

Also consider that Shanghai has many touristy spots that you would probably like to check out while you're there, and most of these are expensive.

So it really depends on the kind of life you guys want to live in Shanghai. If I was you I would make sure my accommodation was free. To be honest without free acommodation provided, I think you will be struggling on 7k a month.

Whatever decision you make, I wish you all the best.
Tread carefully!

#5 Parent ming - 2005-06-15
Oh-Yeah - ESL discussion

Push for 8,000 yuan/month or more in little China (San Francisco). :D

#6 Parent Mic - 2005-06-15
so-so - ESL discussion

7000 is only good if they offer you apartment and many other freebies, and then again it is only so-so. Also there are a few companies that will cheat you. Most of them are SMALL private companies like Cherry English. They are illegal cheats, they dont have their overseas employment license and will bend the contract to save themselves money.

I would try to get 8000. Try to also get them to do your visa/permits for free.

Most GOOD and EDUCATED foreign teachers in Shanghai are making at about 8000 per month, if not much more.

Most teachers whom make less than 8000 are working at the Universities or they work less than 20 teaching hours per week.

#7 Parent Niels - 2005-06-15
7 thousand yuannies - ESL discussion

I agree, 7K is pretty good. I work in BJ and earn 6K out of which I have to pay 1400 for rent and still live reasonably well. Food is cheap, as are most commodities. Your downfall will be expensive nightclubs and western food. On 7k you'll have a great time, do it for the experience of a life-time.

#8 Parent leon - 2005-06-14
7K is good - ESL discussion

chinese teachers in shanghai make 2K to 3k. take it.

Fayaz & Monica - 2005-06-14
How can you expect to live with 7000RMB? - ESL discussion *Link*

Hello, we have been offered a job which pays 7000RMB in Shanghai. Does anyone know how far 7000RMB will take you in China(shanghai)? Will we be able to eat/live well? People say many things are cheap in China, but how well can we expect to live with 7000RMB? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers!

Fayaz and Monica

Return to Index › How can you expect to live with 7000RMB? - ESL discussion *Link*

Go to another board -