TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › alright, alright.......my new motto is......... - ESL discussion
#1 Parent Ann-Toe-Knee - 2005-07-07
I had to act like Bozo, so I went home - ESL discussion

SK hogwan told me originally I'd be teaching 'high school age' kids. I arrived here and found myself expected to teach about 20-30 14-year olds and younger. I was even given a class of kids barely old enough to walk. Most of these kids complained that I was either too fast or too slow. They liked to complain a LOT, and I was even expected to jump around in the class like a fool........So I walked. Right to the airport and was gone.

Ann-Toe-Knee

#2 Parent Ann-Toe-Knee - 2005-06-16
If I gotta act like BOZO, I'll go home - ESL discussion

I'll be on a plane going home before I act like Bozo in the classroom. If I have to go THAT FAR to motivate my students, acting like Bozo the damn clown's not gonna help much. Bozo-wooed students are not motivated enough to learn English anyway. If someone asks me to adopt the clown act, I'll head for the nearest airport.

You won't see me acting like a silly fool in my classrooms. They'll learn my way or I go the airport way.

'Nuff said.

Toe

#3 Parent Beatrix Blancmange - 2005-06-09
You cant have any pudding til you've eaten your......... - ESL discussion

HI,

A wise technology teacher once told me that when she taught cooking, she would teach 2 weeks on savory cooking, then 1 week on sweet in rotations.

This relates directly to ESOL because:

Keep them motivated by putting on a crazy game show every 3 weeks, in between the meat meals.

BB.

#4 Parent The Arrogant One - 2005-05-29
hare brain - ESL discussion

And please let me spell something out for you, THE THE:

>\-| KISS MY AFFINITY! >\-|

With love,

The Arrogant One

#5 Parent the the - 2005-05-29
hare brain - ESL discussion

affinity ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-fn-t)
n. pl. affinities

1. A natural attraction, liking, or feeling of kinship.

2. Relationship by marriage.

3. An inherent similarity between persons or things. See Synonyms at likeness.

4. Biology. A relationship or resemblance in structure between species that suggests a common origin.

5. Immunology. The attraction between an antigen and an antibody.

6. Chemistry. An attraction or force between particles that causes them to combine.

let me spell it out for you genius. YOU ARE A FRUITCAKE.

#6 Parent JO 753 - 2005-05-28
I admit nothing! - ESL discussion

I tried standup comedy 12 years ago. I stunk! No delivery, very few good jokes.

I am not a teacher. I make the Nooalf products.

#7 Parent Dr. Yanni Zack- ESL Tips and Strategies - 2005-05-27
all right. my new motto is... - ESL discussion

BB,

I enjoyed reading how you used the song "New York, New York" in your example. Teachers need to "think outside the box" and be creative in presenting lessons in order to "hook" the students' interest. I have always felt that teachers need to think of themselves as being either actors or actresses and the stage is their classroom.
Dr. Yanni Zack

#8 Parent Yingwen Laoshi - 2005-05-27
Come on! Admit it! - ESL discussion

JO,I can't believe that your anything like a sergant major type in the classroom!

You have such a great sense of humour ,I think if the truth be known your really a closet BOZO who's just started coming out....TRUE?

#9 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-05-27
And the TEFL shephards sighed.....Amen - ESL discussion

Nice post. I agree 95%. Bozo IS good for young learners, though. However, by the time they hit high school, it's time they start burying their noses in the books. The parents want it that way even IF they don't know it yet.

If studying is too boring, too bad. If practicing is too boring, too bad. If doing homework is too boring, too bad. Students here in Thailand have to learn sooner or later that some things in life they must do are, well, BORING.

Keep bearin' down on 'em.

RhenoThai

#10 Parent RhenoThai - 2005-05-27
What a great idea - ESL discussion

What a great idea, Jo. I'm going to try this. At least I'll FINALLY get all my English teaching colleagues on the same page (discussing the same concepts in classes).

RT

#11 Parent Elephant - 2005-05-27
I guessed that, AO - ESL discussion

I assumed all along you don't 'clown around' like I implied in my post. However, a LOT of folks do, and it's even 'pushed' by my TESOL mill.

Good luck.

E

#12 Parent Beatrix Blancmange - 2005-05-27
Domain: Affective. - ESL discussion

> Doing anything half assed will leave your students confused &
> disrespectful or at least bored & unimpressed. None of these
> states is likely to get them motivated.

> Presenting a single, simple, clear personality is what you need to
> do. Trying to be some strange malange of Bozo and taskmaster will
> make them think you are a schizo.

> I suggest that you get together with your fellow teachers &
> choose a stereotype for each of you to play.

> Just put slips of paper in a bowl & whatever you grab is what you
> play for the whole semester.

> Here are ALL the selections:

> Bozo (the REAL Bob Bell version)

> Disiplinarian (Standard issue British, like in The Wall)

> Seductress (Van Halen-Hot For Teacher or Elizabeth Hurley in
> Bedazzled)

> Super nerd (Thick glasses, tweed jacket with leather elbows, out of
> style tie)

> Nanny (Like Mary Poppins or Sherry Bobbins, turn everything into a
> song)

> Kool Guy (Hep to all the new bands, casual clothing, bring a guitar)

> Genius Professor (Loud talking, Einstien hair, wild gesticulations
> when making an important point)

Loved the character descriptions!!!!!!!
Let's get into the Affective Domain!!!!!!!!!!!

Love to all
Beatrix Blancmange the Blonde!!!

#13 Parent JO 753 - 2005-05-26
No restraint. - ESL discussion

Doing anything half assed will leave your students confused & disrespectful or at least bored & unimpressed. None of these states is likely to get them motivated.

Presenting a single, simple, clear personality is what you need to do. Trying to be some strange malange of Bozo and taskmaster will make them think you are a schizo.

I suggest that you get together with your fellow teachers & choose a stereotype for each of you to play.

Just put slips of paper in a bowl & whatever you grab is what you play for the whole semester.

Here are ALL the selections:

Bozo (the REAL Bob Bell version)

Disiplinarian (Standard issue British, like in The Wall)

Seductress (Van Halen-Hot For Teacher or Elizabeth Hurley in Bedazzled)

Super nerd (Thick glasses, tweed jacket with leather elbows, out of style tie)

Nanny (Like Mary Poppins or Sherry Bobbins, turn everything into a song)

Kool Guy (Hep to all the new bands, casual clothing, bring a guitar)

Genius Professor (Loud talking, Einstien hair, wild gesticulations when making an important point)

#14 Parent The Arrogant One - 2005-05-26
THE "BOZO" APROACH IN TEACHING - ESL discussion

>\-| My dear Elephant,
An accurate description of my method in the classroom (and, I would guess, BB's as well), would not exactly liken it to that of a CLOWN. What I have attempted to describe from the onset of this debate is the use -- albeit, prudent use -- of humor as a tool for us teachers to obtain the student cooperation we so fervently desire and need. NATURALLY, it would be difficult to visualize any academic class's being dominated by humor, however sophisticated, and still get the main point across. By "BOZO," I presume you mean actually clowning about, complete with the variety of antics and hooting expected by Little Jimmy on his first visit to the circus. No, I never had that quite in mind. What I meant to infer was the use of adult humor - referrals to the aspects of life that we can all comprehend, no matter where we're from or which language we speak ... humorous facts which need no oral explanation ... the things that can immediately induce a new student to look upon his teacher as a human being, as opposed to a master sergeant attempting to train new recruits at a boot camp. Excuse me, but I solemnly believe that once that bond is created (... and the sooner it is, the better), both the student and teacher have gone a long way in providing a solid basis for future cooperation in academic areas.

YES, ... many of my classes have been described as "a lot of fun," but the supreme compliment is represented when, at the end of a session, a first-time student approaches me, and says, "Teacher, you're funny!" Silly me, I've got to turn even that into a laugh: "Yeah, thanks a lot," I say. "You sound like my first wife. She always used to say that I was funny ... yeah (heh) ... when I was asleep!" (drummer!)

Certainly, restraint has to be utilized when employing humor in an academic setting, but jeez, Elephant, recalling those smiles on my students' faces gives me a hellova lot of impetus to get out of bed in the morning and repeat the whole process! As you must surely realize, Not only the students need such incentive!

Love from,

The Arrogant One

#15 Parent Elephant - 2005-05-26
Bozo--the Band-Aid Approach - ESL discussion

I don't use 'clowning' in my classroom to get my students motivated. I think it's a 'band-aid', desperation tactic begun by the TEFL industry to keep Farang teachers in the classroom and off of planes taking their aggravated asses back home. Some people DO use 'The Bozo Way' with great success. I realize that. However, you won't see me using clown techniques in my classes. And you never will. I'm a teacher in a classroom--not a clown in a circus.

I teach in Thailand, where 'charm' is king and students want 'fun and games' in their lessons. That is the way it has been for who-knows-how-long. I learned this hard fact not at my TESOL mill, but after I landed a job teaching at a high school here last year. After arriving, I was immediately met by students who wanted to 'play game' all the time in every class. I also discovered almost immediately they were sadly deficient in English proficency as well, albeit they've been attending English classes for between 4 and 10 years--classes filled to the brim with the 'Bozo Way'.

Yes, I've found acting like Bozo doesn't help, really. The only thing that HAS helped my students increase proficiency is my own insistence that they practice, practice, practice outside of class. In other words, WORK at it. THAT has worked, and worked well with my 'more motivated' students. Unfortunately, work is boring to Thai students, students who have a genetic aversion to mental effort. It's been tough getting my 'less motivated' kids to actually EXERCISE their 'LAD's' (Language Acquisition Device) and catch up with their more motivated colleagues.

It's been so tough to motivate these students I've decided to embark on a new approach. I'm currently experimenting with a language lab at my school using modern technology. I don't know yet where it will lead, but I HOPE this will solve my motivation problems and get all my students moving towards fluency.

Acting like a clown didn't work for my predecessors, so you won't see me impersonating Bozo in my classes. After all, this is Asia--not Las Vegas. Besides, if the 'clown' approach actually worked, I wouldn't have the proficiency problems I have 'inherited' here. I'd even be acting like Bozo myself if that were the case.

I realize the 'clown' approach DOES seem to work for you, AO, and you as well, Bee. You guys truly love playing the role, and to that I say 'more power to you'.

I would LOVE to sit in on one of your classes. I bet I'd laugh my ass off.

Good luck in teaching.

E

#16 Parent The Arrogant One - 2005-05-26
SPLITTING HAIRS! - ESL discussion

Main Entry: penchant
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: fondness
Synonyms: affection, affinity, attachment, bent, bias, big eyes, disposition, druthers, eyes for, inclination, inclining, itch, leaning, liking, partiality, predilection, predisposition, proclivity, proneness, propensity, sweet tooth, taste, tendency, thing for, tilt, turn, weakness, yen, zazzle
Source: Roget's New Millennium Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
Copyright 2005 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

#17 Parent the the - 2005-05-26
a strong penchant for? - ESL discussion

a strong affinity with, more like it.

#18 Parent The Arrogant One - 2005-05-26
New York-New York! - ESL discussion

NOW YOU'RE TALKING "BB"! YOU'VE GOT THE RIGHT IDEA! You should hear MY version of "I like to live in America!" It would have made Lenny blush with pride to see it done in the classroom. Incidentally, I, too, have a strong penchant for fruit cake!

Love from,

The Arrogant One

Beatrix Blancmange - 2005-05-26
alright, alright.......my new motto is......... - ESL discussion

Well, my new motto is plan lessons like a nerd, and teach the lessons like a nutty fruit cake.This morning I was teaching travel, "what did you see? I saw skyscrapers, etc".......and started flapping my arms around singing "New York, New York.......da da da da.(from the musical).
The locals loved it. Even the teacher cracked up laughing. So go ahead, make their day...

BB :D :b

Return to Index › alright, alright.......my new motto is......... - ESL discussion

Go to another board -