TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Can't Speak English?//No, I speak Chinglish...perfectly!...LOL
#1 Parent juanisaac - 2013-05-06
Re: Can't Speak English?//No, I speak Chinglish...perfectly!...LOL

I am something in between, I guess. I worked as an E.S.L teacher's assistant in Oregon for four years before comming to China. Truth be told, my school district had mandatory training sessions twice a semester for for E.S.L teachers and their helpers, so I am not green to the E.S.L. field. I am sure that qualified, at least in their countries, E.S.L teachers work in China.

#2 Parent Beelzebub - 2013-05-04

I don't think it's necessary to be properly qualified to teach EFL in China. By the way, I'm here teaching EFL because I much prefer doing so to teaching maths as a properly qualified secondary school teacher back home.

You are being modest to a fault, foxy. You and Turnoi are one of only a few properly qualified teachers in China, and that's all about it. Myself and thousands of other FT's will not be getting a teacher's pension because only qualified teachers qualify for those-Get it? Got it? Good!

#3 Parent foxy - 2013-05-04

Would you and Foxy Poster, in an ideal China, like to kick our arses out of the country, that's what I want to know?

I can only speak for myself, not Turnoi. I don't consider myself properly qualified to teach EFL anywhere. For one thing, I've never been trained to teach English. For another thing, I've never studied English beyond my secondary education. So, as an expat in China, I'm one of most of us here making money by teaching EFL as an unqualified teacher.

I don't think it's necessary to be properly qualified to teach EFL in China. By the way, I'm here teaching EFL because I much prefer doing so to teaching maths as a properly qualified secondary school teacher back home. I'd never agree with those who go on about unqualified EFL teachers not being allowed to teach in China. That's a load of codswallop. I think not just in China, but in all the other EFL employer countries too.

#4 Parent Beelzebub - 2013-05-03

Are you secretly full of contempt for the rest of us ex-postmen or those of us that have never done a proper job since leaving uni(me fitting into former category) or do you just philosophise that we are only teaching oral English, so it doesn't really matter? Would you and Foxy Poster, in an ideal China, like to kick our arses out of the country, that's what I want to know?

No, I am not full of contempt for people like you, being full of contempt for a system that allows crappy training centres to exist with all the well-known problems arising from that is quite another thing.

Are you being diplomatic? May I press you a little further, please? Would you say that you have contempt for the system in place that allows unqualified teachers to teach in China; although you don't blame the unqualified teachers for taking advantage of a flawed system? When I say unqualified teachers, I mean those of us(nearly all of us) who are not properly qualified school masters ,like you and Foxy Poster for example?

Return to Index › Re: Can't Speak English?//No, I speak Chinglish...perfectly!...LOL

Go to another board -