TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Foreign Experts are still hired in China by....phone calls ! - ESL discussion
#1 Parent Paul Barry - 2005-07-31
teachers - ESL discussion

DO they really need teachers, or people that can speak clear western style english ?

I suspect the latter, and that is why they hired me and told me I was the best teacher they every had.
I loved the students, did my best to help their pronunciation, and left the reading, writing, etc to the professional Chinese English teachers that lack nothing except proper pronunciation.

Get off your high horses, they want American accents, not American teachers in China.

Paul Barry
Melbourne, FL

#2 Parent jinchafa - 2005-07-17
signed empty contract - ESL discussion

No big thing. They probably had you and multiple other parties sign such contracts while they were determining the right person to hire. The fact that you did sign a blank contract causes me to scratch my head a little; however, don't worry about it-ignore it, and please don't work for anyone that would ask you to do such a thing. The bottom line is that they will fill in the contract with stipulations that are only to their advantage and not yours.
My advice? Never sign a contract until you have seen the school and your living quarters. Even then, insist on a 1 month trial period. Most importantly, as I've written several times in this forum, don't sell yourself cheap. It's naive to think that they can't pay you a decent wage and provide you with excellent benefits. If you believe in being altruistic, take your altruism to the very poor inland locations, accept the hardships of such an environment and do meaningful and worthwhile work for those who will appreciate your sacrifice. However, if you're like me and are not ready at this point in your life for such a sacrifice, recognize the value of your education and experience, and refuse to be exploited just because you've got a white face to go along with your TESOL Certificate.

#3 Parent Rheno747 - 2005-07-16
I just don't get it - ESL discussion

I thought I was acting reckless by signing a contract with a school without actually checking out the place IN PERSON. I relied on former and present teachers, all of whom told me the school was great. Was it? Yeah. If you like teaching kids. I don't....so it's a dud for me.

You guys blow me away. Why would you sign a blank contract? I'm scratching my head over this one. Really, people. Tell me why you did that.

RK

#4 Parent Dos - 2005-07-15
Use your noggins people! - ESL discussion

Come on y'all! Do I really have to tell you this?

Would you sign a contract without reading it? Would you sign a blank check? If the answer to either of these questions is "yes" then please send me a blank check, signed!! ;)

Anyway, I have written advice about all this already, read my visa and contract advice documents, elsewhere on this site, I don't really want to keep repeating myself.

Most of all, use common sense! Read stuff before you sign! Question! Keep records.

If you read the documents and still have questions feel free to e-mail me.

#5 Parent Anne & George - 2005-07-15
We had the same bad experience , DOS,tell us what to do ? - ESL discussion

#6 Parent Mark - 2005-07-15
DOS , pls , tell us ... - ESL discussion

I have a problem.The recruiters asked me to sign empty contracts --no signature or seal from the employer --and promised me to return it signed .
It naveer came back signed .Why ?

#7 Parent Judith - 2005-07-14
Right , when/where/how should a contract be signed by both Parties ? - ESL discussion

#8 Parent Dos - 2005-07-13
Too easy - ESL discussion

I think you are over-simplifying! All places in China who hire teachers *should* have teachers with a degree and/or TEFL certificate nowadays.

So it's really the schools that need to be sorted out, not the teachers.

As for a phone call, well, it isn't very practical to come over for an interview most of the time!

ESL foreign teacher - 2005-07-13
Foreign Experts are still hired in China by....phone calls ! - ESL discussion

I have been teaching English for many years and I have never phoned my boss or his secretary !
How comes that foreigners behave as tourists--a phone call - " Yes, I have this passport ... I am coming ..." It sounds like : " Can you book a rooom for 3 months ? "
Educational Institutions should exchange documents with the Foreign Experts and there will be no complaints here on this board .
Please , remember a Teacher is an important word.Some people would say -sacred word .
Schools give knowledge .
Hotels ---something else .

Return to Index › Foreign Experts are still hired in China by....phone calls ! - ESL discussion

Go to another board -