TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Taiwan Prices - ESL discussion
#1 Parent SiamSap - 2005-07-20
Demanding someone be honest is outrageous? - ESL discussion

So, Vic. Tell me. Since when did demanding someone be honest become an 'outrageous expectation'. If you believe that demanding your boss not be a thief, not be a liar, not be a cheat is something outrageous, it's no wonder we have the problems we have in TEFL. Many of us in the teaching business have thrown up our hands in disgust and gone home. It's not the conditions that drive us out--it's the fact that so many teachers are willing to put up with liars, thieves, cheats, rip-offs, whatever. Some of us refuse to put up with it, but sadly, we're in the minority.

#2 Parent Rheno747 - 2005-07-19
Yeah, and a lot ARE st##id - ESL discussion

And a lot of teachers are willing to put up with chicken feed pay, long and irregular hours, disruptive rich brats in the classroom, and exploitatvive directors. I've done my part. Now do yours.

#3 Parent VT - 2005-07-18
Well said. - ESL discussion

English teachers in Korea are not stupid and do not have outrageous expectations,lots of smart teachers dedicated in Korea.

Vicky

#4 Parent Mike Jones - 2005-07-18
Youre not alone and I am not alone. - ESL discussion

Sometimes teaching english abroad sucks and sometimes it's OK. Best thing is to realize sooner than later that it is time to go back home.

Staying in korea is fine with me. Have a nice trip!

#5 Parent Rheno747 - 2005-07-18
I'm already there - ESL discussion

600 a month saved, eh? I can believe it. Changwon is beyond 'pretty' expensive. After discovering I'll be teaching a bunch of rich brats, as well as discovering a large pizza costs 35 bucks and toothpaste costs 9 bucks a tube, I've flown the Korean coop.

Dude--I saved more than you back in the sticks of Thailand making 700 a month. I got free food and free housing--something you probably won't get in big-town Bangkok.

Someone wrote in a post on Dave's ESL cafe a few months back warning all those going to Korea to teach to not ask for less than 3 million won a month. I know you won't get it, but I understand now what he was talking about. I'd ask for a minimum of about 3 million to stay in SK and teach the rich brats I had in my 'classes'. I won't work for chicken feed pay anymore, so I guess I gotta head home.

Live and learn.

Where are the good jobs in this business?

RK

#6 Parent Jeff - 2005-07-17
Imported foods are expensive anywhere. - ESL discussion

Most English teachers in Asia are fat, food and beer are cheap. Otherwise theres really no reason to be here..

Good teaching, Jeff

#7 Parent Greg - 2005-07-16
Ulsan, Korea - ESL discussion

Most of the salary can easily be saved up. It depends on your lifestyle, of course, but I have managed to save over $10 000 Canadian in my first year here, and that is with travelling around the country every vacation.

#8 Parent coolguy - 2005-07-16
Changwon - ESL discussion

To Rheno747. I live in Changwon, I save usd 600 a month out of 2M Won/month. I eat out 3-4 times a week. An sagua/apple is only half of dollar compared with Seoul 1 dollar. Sounds like you are having a bad time, just too bad for you, your students and your managers. I suggest you go home asap. Good luck.

#9 Parent Rheno747 - 2005-07-16
I'm in 'The Planned City'--Changwon - ESL discussion

#10 Parent Rheno747 - 2005-07-16
Understood, Jin - ESL discussion

Taiwan sounds like a crock, really. I feel like I'm ALREADY living on airplanes.

#11 Parent observer - 2005-07-16
Japan - ESL discussion

I could eat lunch in Japan for 350yen/less than 3 dollars. :D

#12 Parent koko - 2005-07-15
korea or japan - ESL discussion

hi rheno,

you said: in korea

all in us money

1 apple $4
1 pizza $35
1 toothpaste $9
---------------------
I say japan is

1 big apple $50 cents
1 large pizza $20
1 toothpaste $2

more: i went to korea and life is way...... cheaper than japan. subway in seoul is only $1. a beer $3

my question, which korea are you now? do you eat and consume local products or only things imported from your country?

#13 Parent jinchafa - 2005-07-15
Rheno: Taiwan prices - ESL discussion

Hey Rheno,
You're a laugh riot - 747 indeed. Can't give you much information about prices in Taiwan, but you should get paid close to twenty bucks an hour American. Albeit, be careful, Taiwan businessmen are very crafty. I've been ripped off twice by them here in China, and if you were to talk to enough Chinese laborers that have worked for them here on the Mainland, you would discover that they've been exploiting the poor Chinese workers for quite awhile. On the other hand, I've also heard that you can do very well in Taiwan by taking side jobs teaching conversational English to businessmen who will actually pay you to go out with them and talk to them as you are wined and dined.
One other interesting thing that I've heard is that it seems to be quite common in Taiwan that they expect you to sign a contract that guarantees a positive outcome. In other words, student motivation be damned - if they don't succeed, it's your fault and you have to rescind a portion of your pay.
Well, you know the deal; be careful and good luck. I'd like to know how it turns out for you, so please keep us posted.

#14 Parent boss - 2005-07-15
taiwan is not cheap

stay away from the big cities and eat taiwanese food

Rheno747 - 2005-07-15
Taiwan Prices - ESL discussion

I'm thinking of jumping to Taiwan. Can someone give me some examples of Taiwan prices? I don't wanna pay 4 bucks US for one apple or 9 bucks US for a tube of toothpaste like I do in Busan, SK.

Return to Index › Taiwan Prices - ESL discussion

Go to another board -