TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Are Filipinos, East-Indians, Africans, others good enough to teach English anywhere?
#1 Parent Dragonized - 2013-07-09
Re: Are Filipinos, East-Indians, Africans, others good enough to teach English anywhere?

Because the main qualification for knowing a language inside out and good enough for oral English teaching is to have been born into that language; that's why.

Yes, and folks such as Filipinos and Nigerians should be included.

#2 Parent Dragonized - 2013-07-09
Re: Are Filipinos, East-Indians, Africans, others good enough to teach English anywhere?

As long the person is qualified, nationalities and passports should NOT be an issue.

I do agree with this statement. For me, if I was hiring I would take the stout and hardworking non-native English speaker who went to high school or a decent college/university abroad over the native speaking but degree-less person. Also, personal habits such as alcoholism, drugs, and personality have to be taken into account as well. Native speakers who skim by on a minimalist effort or who are racist, sexist, and generally close minded have no business working abroad in the field of ESL.

#3 Parent San Migs - 2013-07-08
Re: Filipinos are better at karaoke

If those guys want to lose their money, then yes. Filipino girls are exceptionally greedy and materialistic and always play the poverty card. It has been discussed on here before.

#4 Parent juanisaac - 2013-07-08

Yes, I do know teachers from such countries that are excellent teachers. Their knowledge base is solid. South Korea, from what I have read, is now requiring certified English teachers to teach there. The origin of the teacher matters less now as more Filipinos are going there, plus other nationalities.

The basic problem, though, is being able to understand what the teacher is saying. I have met African and Indian teachers that have such heavy accents that I don't know what language they are speaking. A teacher might be a good teacher, but intelligibility might be a problem.

From my experience students who learn from teachers with heavy accents are only trained to understand that accent. Those students who learn from teachers with a clear accent have better listening skills and speak better. All my middle school students put an "uh" at the end of their words because all their teachers speak the same way. I have five year-old students who speak more clearly than my middle school student because they are learning from me. The five year-olds can also speak in sentences.

The best E.S.L. teacher I ever met was a Hungarian woman who sounded like she was born and raised in the U.S. state of Iowa.

#5 Parent Beelzebub - 2013-07-08

As human beings, there are some traits that we all have in common — two hands, one heart, red blood. Why in the world to prevent anyone to teach ESL. As long the person is qualified, nationalities and passports should NOT be an issue.

Because the main qualification for knowing a language inside out and good enough for oral English teaching is to have been born into that language; that's why.

#6 Parent Jake A - 2013-07-08
Re: Filipinos are better at karaoke

9 girls for 3 guys. Hurry up guys, move to Philippines.

#7 Parent Jeff - 2013-07-07
Filipinos are better at karaoke

Almost, every Filipino knows how to sing in English (even hard-patriotic ones like their most famous known singer: Freddie Aguilar).
Pinoys love American Idols. EG: Michael Jackson-music-dances steps are more popular in Pinoy land than in America.
Just too bad Pinoy's are discriminate and pay less abroad doing mainly jobs locals don't want to do. Filipinos are very hard workers and flexible.

#8 Parent my say - 2013-07-07

As human beings, there are some traits that we all have in common — two hands, one heart, red blood. Why in the world to prevent anyone to teach ESL. As long the person is qualified, nationalities and passports should NOT be an issue.

#9 Parent Beelzebub - 2013-07-07

South Koreans gov. and most Japanese schools owners don't think so. What do you think? Is teaching English a skill or any English speaker looking white with blue eyes is more skilled and acceptable to teach English. Should teaching English be part of a human right amendment worldwide regardless the physical look of the teacher as long he/she can teach English well.

Statistically if you're white, with blue, grey, green ,brown eyes, you are more likely to be able to teach English better, because you are more likely to have been started off being taught by your mother. Personally i think if you have blue eyes like me, you have a big advantage hahaha-all good fun.

matt - 2013-07-07
Are Filipinos, East-Indians, Africans, others good enough to teach English anywhere?

South Koreans gov. and most Japanese schools owners don't think so. What do you think? Is teaching English a skill or any English speaker looking white with blue eyes is more skilled and acceptable to teach English. Should teaching English be part of a human right amendment worldwide regardless the physical look of the teacher as long he/she can teach English well.

Return to Index › Are Filipinos, East-Indians, Africans, others good enough to teach English anywhere?

Go to another board -