TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Beelzebub Says-Why are Chinese Americans unhappy?
#1 Parent Beelzebub - 2013-07-12
Re: Beelzebub Says-Why are Chinese Americans unhappy?

I haven't read the research you mention so this is all conjecture. There's seems to be a marked difference between ABCs, (American Born Chinese) as they are called, and those not born in America. Your post also indicates that older Chinese Americans don't discuss suicidal feelings. What is missing from your brief report is their reasons for emigration. Did the older generation follow their offspring in search of the "American Dream" and fail to settle or find the dream? Does mixed-race marriage play a part? What is the age profile and is there an issue of language? Ignoring "Obamacare" for the moment, is access to trained mental health professionals, and the cost, a barrier, or is it just cultural.

Marvellous post, CL, of which i have only pasted the first chunk. It shows exactly why you should never have done a dyphemism or even a euphemism many months since. I am just a hit and run poster and rely on the likes of yourself to go into things in a little more detail, providing the extra information, questions and propositions which you have accomplished so well. Welcome back indeed.

Return to Index › Re: Beelzebub Says-Why are Chinese Americans unhappy?

Go to another board -