TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Hohhot PSB, a warning!
#1 Parent Davyhulme Sewage Tank Worker - 2013-07-17
Re: Hohhot PSB, a warning!

I would like to stay--seems the faceless powers that be are making it difficult to do so however?

#2 Parent DAVYHULME - 2013-07-16

But alas now I can't. I suppose all good things must come to an end!

This is the problem, nothing is easy!

#3 Parent foxy - 2013-07-16

I thought that a married man could get a five year RP, and that option came into play about a year ago? You'd think that a middle-aged married man from a country like the UK would be treated a bit differently from people coming in from countries like Africa where certain transmittable diseases are rife. Why a full medical anyway when a simple blood test would give them what they really want? I can't see any point in it being discovered that you have a heart murmur.

Logic sometimes doesn't apply here in China. I have no idea what they're at. Anyways, we are aliens in the true sense of the word in the eyes of some of the PSB. Either we lump it or leave the country.

Despite all this crap, I will stay here because doing so has more advantages than disadvantages for me, but each to his (or her) own.

#4 Parent foxy - 2013-07-16

At least if you get the rp, it will save on messing about with L visas.

Pre July 1st it was like this in Hohhot: I could get a 6 monthly L and without a medical. Cost 160 RMB X2 /year
Or a 360 day L with a medical. Cost 160 RMB + 320 RMB/year

But now, 1 year RP, 800 RMB + 320 RMB for a medical! So, I'd rather mess about with L's. But alas now I can't. I suppose all good things must come to an end!

I do know hohhot and baotou are different cities, it is still the same autonomous region and they have always done things differently there, even before all these strict rules. I have had trouble in both baotou and hohhot with visas.

Sorry to hear that you have had trouble in Baotou and Hohhot. We must bear it, but it's good to forewarn the other board readers. By giving those 2 cities a miss, they can avoid such trouble. But they might well encounter the same elsewhere in China. Who knows?

#5 Parent Davyh - 2013-07-16

But now the system has changed! So, I have to accept a one-year RP instead. OK, I have no problems with that, though I think being forced to do a med is a piece of nonsense.

Fair enough, nowt personal meant. I'm also going through the same visa crap. It has always been that way to get an RP though alas. Things have changed after july 1st no doubt, and will continue to do so. At least if you get the rp, it will save on messing about with L visas. I do know hohhot and baotou are different cities, it is still the same autonomous region and they have always done things differently there, even before all these strict rules. I have had trouble in both baotou and hohhot with visas.

#6 Parent Beelzebub - 2013-07-16

Yeah, you're probably right, generally speaking! But DEFINITELY NOT in my case - you see, I'm retired and have a Chinese wife. I've got one passport, one temp passport and 1/2 of one valid passport full of spousal + touring L's. But now the system has changed! So, I have to accept a one-year RP instead. OK, I have no problems with that, though I think being forced to do a med is a piece of nonsense.

I thought that a married man could get a five year RP, and that option came into play about a year ago? You'd think that a middle-aged married man from a country like the UK would be treated a bit differently from people coming in from countries like Africa where certain transmittable diseases are rife. Why a full medical anyway when a simple blood test would give them what they really want? I can't see any point in it being discovered that you have a heart murmur.

#7 Parent foxy - 2013-07-16

Yeah, you're probably right, generally speaking! But DEFINITELY NOT in my case - you see, I'm retired and have a Chinese wife. I've got one passport, one temp passport and 1/2 of one valid passport full of spousal + touring L's. But now the system has changed! So, I have to accept a one-year RP instead. OK, I have no problems with that, though I think being forced to do a med is a piece of nonsense.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post this warning. I know Hohhot PSB very well. But if we expats are aware of the law, and take steps to ensure our continuous employment, there is no reason why any of us China should have to return to our homelands annually, but maybe every 5 yrs. BTW, Baotou used to be very accommodating, but that was a lot of years ago. Like you, I've taught in Baotou. Dunno what they're like now.

I'm on about Hohhot, not Baotou - they are differnt places/PSBs!!

#8 Parent Davyhulme Sewage Tank Worker - 2013-07-16

To be fair I had a very bad experience many years back in Baotou, although that was at the time of the olympics. For some reason things seem to work differently there, although I have read beijing is cracking down now and sending many foreigners home, and guangdong has changed their policies some time back. By next summer, I think it will not be easy anywhere from what I am finding out, and FT's may well have to return home yearly, which would be a financial pain and strain indeed.

foxy - 2013-07-16
Hohhot PSB, a warning!

If you intend to stay and work in Hohhot, please be aware that if you are caught breaking visa regulations/RP conditions by the PSB here, you'll have to bear the full consequences of your errant behavior. I'm sure there will be no mercy shown to you whatsoever, even if you have a Chinese spouse!

And I should add for the benefit of any readers who have visited the city some years ago that the city has expanded in size greatly in recent years, contributing to serious traffic problems at or reasonably near the city centre. You can expect to be inconvenienced by traffic jams while travelling near or during peak periods when employees commute in large numbers.

Return to Index › Hohhot PSB, a warning!

Go to another board -