TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: L1 vs L2 in the classroom: when teachers use Spanish in the ESL classroom
#1 Parent Fern McLelland - 2013-07-25
Re: L1 vs L2 in the classroom: when teachers use Spanish in the ESL classroom

Cunning Linguist. Thank you for your educated response to my question. I will see what I can find from your link. In response to the other two. You are misunderstanding my post altogether. I am not a teacher in a Spanish speaking country. This is a problem that occurs in the United States of America. We have a lot of Spanish speakers in our country and in my state, but we also have many other students from all over the world. Some teachers try to speak Spanish in their ESL classrooms because a lot of the time, the majority of the students are Spanish speaking. This is very unhelpful when there are other students in the classroom who don't speak Spanish at all and are from other countries. It can be helpful if a teacher is able to use a student's L1 when possible, but as Cunning Linguist pointed out, you would need to be multilingual in order to do this.
Thanks,
Fern

Return to Index › Re: L1 vs L2 in the classroom: when teachers use Spanish in the ESL classroom

Go to another board -