TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › re: smoking and the C of E church
#1 Parent Beelzebub - 2013-07-28
Re: re: smoking and the C of E church

Hello all,

In research for a paper and just out of curiosity, what is smoking considered amongst christian cultures like the UK? In china, smoking is socially acceptable, but what about amongst church goers?

I remember reading christian pamphlets stating masturbation was the devil tempting people. So what about smoking? Can priests smoke?

I hope someone can give me some answers as I need to finish this?

Cheers.

As luck would have it we do have a smoking priest on this very site, so you should ask him. I personally do not agree with depriving folk of the right to smoke; however, it could very well be a sin according to the bible. I can't quote you chapter and verse at the moment but the bible clearly states that you should offer a clean body up to God when you die- and something about the body being a temple. I should imagine smokers are sinning big time. I am an atheist I should say.

Another grievous drawback from being a smoker is that you end up smelling like an old ashtray, and I'm afraid Chinese girls do not like that one little bit. [edited]. Some FT's never seem to be able to find a Chinese girlfriend and it could well be down to something like smoking cigarettes. I hope I have not digressed too much from your interesting post. If we can all go into this in a little more detail I feel it could help out the odd smoking poster, as well as assisting you in your research.

#2 Parent John O’Shei - 2013-07-28

Considering how many people used to smoke in England and the number that are members of Anglican churches [edited]. Besides, AFAIK, there is no concept similar to ‘Harem’ in any format of the bible.

#3 Parent Beelzebub - 2013-07-28

That really depends on which sect of Christianity you're talking about, and that buddy is basically looking into thousands of grou
ps.

I know I know, that silly Sewage Worker should have narrowed it down to less than one ( re: smoking and the C of E church) hahaha- all good fun.

#4 Parent Dragonized - 2013-07-28

That really depends on which sect of Christianity you're talking about, and that buddy is basically looking into thousands of groups. In some countries priests who practice a certain form of religion still don't marry. Smoking though is a habit that is taken up by people of all backgrounds, creeds, and ethnic groups.

I find your question to be a bit random, it almost sounds like you're trying to dig up information about some people on this board whom you think might smoke when they shouldn't. Did someone on here offend you?

Davyhulme Sewage Worker - 2013-07-27
re: smoking and the C of E church

Hello all,

In research for a paper and just out of curiosity, what is smoking considered amongst christian cultures like the UK? In china, smoking is socially acceptable, but what about amongst church goers?

I remember reading christian pamphlets stating masturbation was the devil tempting people. So what about smoking? Can priests smoke?

I hope someone can give me some answers as I need to finish this?

Cheers.

Return to Index › re: smoking and the C of E church

Go to another board -