TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Boring Teacher?
#1 Parent John O’Shei - 2013-09-21
Re: Boring Teacher?

If it is a real shithole of a city, then I’m afraid that they may care more about ‘edutainment’ than education. Is this a private operation that you speak of?

I have been offered really good money to teach such classes in a small town, where foreigners rarely venture, but dare I say the boss didn't talk that much about education at this planned school, even if indeed there are some educationally minded people on board, edutainment could be the main focus. He didn't even try to lie about that. To be honest, he’s a businessman not an educator and would probably have more of a financial interest than hands on role.

Regardless of what we tend to say about TC bosses, sometimes the parents are equally to blame at pre-school level, they just want to drop the kids off at a TC/play centre to give themselves peace and quiet. Especially the really young, about 22ish mothers who are just some rich guys little ernai/second wife, who just simply lack the mental maturity to be a good parent.

Luck99 - 2013-09-13
Boring Teacher?

I just arrived in a small city to teach ESL to preschoolers. I have made lesson plans for each age group and level of English. The problem is.. They feel like my teaching style is boring. Example- I am teaching two classes their colors and numbers.. I figured for the first three days that we could go over the colors and on the following day draw pictures using those colors. (Bad Idea?) I was not given any songs, books, or anything to inform me of what to expect and build from. I am at a loss, because the students don't seem interested..They are VERY used to games, songs and videos. I really don't believe that only games, songs and videos will help the kids learn the language.. So, I use the chalk board in most of my lessons. Do you have any suggestions or ideas? These kids don't know a piece of English, and with the teachers having the students for over a month.. the outcome was the students only knowing 2 colors, and that is including the color I taught them. I have been here for 5 days.. Am I just supposed to sing songs and play games? I spoke to a my teacher who has taught me a second language, and she feels that I am going about doing things correctly. What do you think?

Return to Index › Boring Teacher?

Go to another board -