TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Discrimination - ESL discussion
#1 Parent Miss Lala - 2005-08-08
response - ESL discussion

I have just completed a study on the effect ethnicity has on employment prospects for ESL teachers. I found that many students STILL view white teachers as better ESL then Asians simply because they are viewed as being more fluent speakers of English. I think this is rubbish...race is not a signifier of teaching competence. A better marker is qualification and experience.

So to answer your question...be ready to face some problems. Load up on qualifications so that you have an advantage. They tend to prefer people who are degree holders and/or hold a certificate or diploma in Teaching English as a Second Language.

Good Luck!

Meandering_mind - 2005-07-31
Discrimination - ESL discussion

Hello there all! I'v been visiting these forums for about a month now and have gained some insight into the world of ESL teaching.
Just wondering if being of asian ethnicity could harm my chances of being employed. I've been in Australia since I was 6 years old and English is pretty much my 'first' language.
I'm looking for a post in China for about a year to gain some experience then maybe move onto Japan.

Return to Index › Discrimination - ESL discussion

Go to another board -