TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › WARNING ABOUT TEACHING CHINA!!!!
#1 Parent John O'Shei - 2013-10-22
Re: WARNING ABOUT TEACHING CHINA!!!!

See, what I care about is having a hot water machine that lets me get a strong brew on before class, a fridge to keep my beer cold, and a warm bed to sleep in and a working hot water shower, and my pay on time each month, and everything paid at the end of the contract. But then the little horrors quite like me, even if I do just show mr bean, no no, welfare of students should not be any single FT's priority, not in the wilds of Asia.Number 1 comes first, much like all those snivelling uppity career teachers. Westerners in China are generally self seeking and self serving, and yes, that includes an Irishman I met who earns 15,000 rmb a month, and won't make friends with anyone who is not a catholic. Wouldn't be you, would it?

I can be whatever you want me to be if the price is right, sweety cheeks xxx.

#2 Parent John O'Shei - 2013-10-22

You do actually meet some interesting characters in China, the shame is that most will eventually leave and move on, almost nobody settles down here for good.
Everyone's status is pretty much transient, including mine.

#3 Parent Dragonized - 2013-10-22

Westerners in China are generally self seeking and self serving

Like attracts like in this case. You can't sift through the riff raff and find real, decent people and that is on you.

#4 Parent Willies Kamerad - 2013-10-21

See, what I care about is having a hot water machine that lets me get a strong brew on before class, a fridge to keep my beer cold, and a warm bed to sleep in and a working hot water shower, and my pay on time each month, and everything paid at the end of the contract. But then the little horrors quite like me, even if I do just show mr bean, no no, welfare of students should not be any single FT's priority, not in the wilds of Asia.Number 1 comes first, much like all those snivelling uppity career teachers. Westerners in China are generally self seeking and self serving, and yes, that includes an Irishman I met who earns 15,000 rmb a month, and won't make friends with anyone who is not a catholic. Wouldn't be you, would it?

#5 Parent John O'Shei - 2013-10-21

The reasons are simple. Respect and discipline. We don't allow our students to walk in and out of class willy nilly, so we don't allow others to set a bad example to them.

Obviously, you wouldn't care about such trivial matters like education, would you Wooden Willy?

#6 Parent Willies Kamerad - 2013-10-19

and their asinine attitude at stepping into the class when you are teaching to collect bottles and cans so that they can sell them for their own profit shows as much.

Asinine? Bit of a big word for most "western losers" as you call us, but a good post. I agree the cleaning lady is being rude strolling into your class with nay a care in the world,but why do you resent her taking some old sticky bottles and cans away, if she was impolite send her away with a flea in her ear, but otherwise, you get paid, and she can earn a little money and recycle those, which is better for the environment too, wastes a few minutes of class time too with the little horrors, all good fun, guffaw guffaw.

#7 Parent John O’Shei - 2013-10-18

That abuse story surrounded horrendous, the one that that took place in Wanning, Hainan right? Some of those kids have been left more than just traumatised, some of permanently damaged in a physical way.

What was even more disturbing was the fact that local government officials were involved and not only shielded things but ensured through various guanxi networks that lighter sentences were received through various technicalities. Officials that took part in the abuse apparently due to those age old backwards beliefs about shagging virgins keeping them young, like a certain old Chairman was rumoured to. Thing is that they struggle to find virgins in high schools these days, so they went even lower...

#8 Parent Dragonized - 2013-10-16

It's not a psychological or emotional trauma they can't bounce back from later.

The psychological and emotional trauma that western losers and spoiled brats gave me back in China is something these kids may never understand. For them to be pampered to the point of being protected by their chinese admins against the expats is quite ridiculous. It's like something only found in movies about a bad alternate universe or something. That's how people back home would take it anyway.

Western kids in ghetto areas have a tendency to behave violently. I can understand how if you had a bad experience like this back home how you feel safer in a country without guns. But you do not hear about admins supporting their behavior because of their rich parents or such. Nor do you hear about Principals acting as pimps and bring sleazy adult men into primary schools to take little girls out of the schools to hotel rooms and get sexually assaulted. If shit like this happened in the USA there would be more than public outcry, we might actually see lynch mobs re-formed for some old testament justice as they say.

#9 Parent John O'Shei - 2013-10-16

Once caught a boy reading a manga style magazine in class. Rather than acting angry and stuff, I just picked up the comic book and asked him "Why are you studying Japanese in my English class?" in front of all the students. They laughed at him, he cried but, hey... He never did it again.

#10 Parent juanisaac - 2013-10-16

It is not like I am crazy man or anything. What I do is get really close to them and look them in the eye. Sometimes I don't have say a word; sometimes I do. My primary school teachers, at a Catholic school, did not that to me sometimes- end of problem.

Some teachers control their classes by personality, and some by fear. I've seen good teachers that are a mix of both.

#11 Parent juanisaac - 2013-10-16

I am lucky. I work at a school, that so far, has backed me in the issue of discipline. I've kicked kids out of class when they misbehave, and I've not been admonished for it. All the teachers see what I do. I've had students clean the black board or write ten times on the board such silly things as "I will not eat a hamburger in English class." It's all about making them lose a little face in front of their friends. It's not a psychological or emotional trauma they can't bounce back from later.

I only kick them out for a few minutes so I can talk to them later about behaving better. I've deposited some students at their head teacher's office so they can help with the cleaning.

It is not so much that I instill a great sense of fear in them. The key is to remind them that if they do not listen to me, they can talk to their head teachers after class about it. And yes getting very near (in their face) to a student helps in calming them down, as I've said before.
I've even put one class under Marshall law where the head teacher sat in the back for two weeks.

#12 Parent John O’Shei - 2013-10-15

You’ve never seen a teacher get in somebody’s face as an effective method of asserting authority? Some teachers here are old enough to remember getting their hands spanked with the cane. As for me, I personally prefer a more subtle approach, but that guy might be a better teacher than me, so who am I to judge?

#13 Parent Dragonized - 2013-10-15

Here in China I get into a kid's face and they back down.

Expats usually are bigger than normal size when matched up against Chinese adults. But there are people who do not fit this profile. Hate to state the obvious but a dude who is thin as a stick and has average height or who is a woman will not get as much respect from the kids no matter where. I can hardly think of a spoiled fuerdai who is well fed and has a jockey type lifestyle to be any better to deal with than any jockey kid in the USA.

Guns may not be allowed in China, but knives still are. That place seems to produce a lot of folks who know how to use it to take the life out of others.

#14 Parent Dragonized - 2013-10-15

Too true, even in public schools they won't allow you to kick a student out of the class if they are behaving badly sometimes. I did this to a student who cursed at me and was told that I am not allowed to do this by the admin. This usurps the power of the teacher totally and completely. I did mention before that at some places even the cleaning ladies think they have more leverage and sway than you, and their asinine attitude at stepping into the class when you are teaching to collect bottles and cans so that they can sell them for their own profit shows as much.

#15 Parent whatever.... - 2013-10-14

Here in China I get into a kid's face and they back down.

Maybe you should just quit being a teacher....Ten years doing this and I have never had the need to 'get into a kid's face'.

#16 Parent Eh? - 2013-10-14

That is why I quit teaching in the USA and came to China. I can't deal with the violent kids and a system that automatically, most often than not, takes their side.

You teach in China?.....Chinese schools will ALWAYS side with the Chinese student over a foreign teacher....If you think differently then you work in a different China than the rest of us. Admin almost never sides with the foreign devils.

#17 Parent juanisaac - 2013-10-14

At the school district where I worked at, a disgruntled student took a rifle and started shooting rounds into the buildings. The police officer assigned to my school drove out there by himself to go find him. After the Columbine shootings, officers were just told to go in there and find the shooter(s) and not wait for back-up. Fortunately, the police officer found the disgruntled boy.
I'd rather take my chances with Chinese students than American ones. Here in China I get into a kid's face and they back down. In the USA you are not guaranteed that the kid will back down. That is why I quit teaching in the USA and came to China. I can't deal with the violent kids and a system that automatically, most often than not, takes their side.

#18 Parent Concerned Teacher - 2013-10-12

Shuei is a c##t. He rips everyone off, on their salaries, apartments, in fact any which way he can. He has friends in the Police, so teachers cant go and complain. I am surprised he has lasted so long. I had a lot of great friends there. Students were great. We often had discussions in the evening at Butterfly Lake in the University Grounds. Its sad that Shuei was such a [edited], and sadly still is. But, he isnt alone, theres many like him, but its up to the teachers, and blogs like this, to show they wont put up with the conditions.

#19 Parent Concerned Teacher - 2013-10-11

This is a first for China. The culprit, he wont walk free. The Chinese have the death sentence. But, when we go to these far off places to teach, we dont only take the language, but our hedonistic culture also. The Chinese play viloent computer games and watch movies, so very much like our own, they are easily influenced. The episode above, it might be the first of many to come. I wonder now how the authorities will operate with regards the students? I must admit, I had great students in China, and it would never have crossed my mind that they had it in them to treat teachers in China just as students in the west do. Its not worth it anymore. I have had enough of it, and might call it a day and do something else instead.

#20 Parent Concerned Teacher in Danger - 2013-10-11

I know Jiangxi. Samuel Shuei Juijiang University. He is a real crook, one of the biggest in China, apart from another very well known one that operates out of Beijing. I think the poster is right, its not worth it anymore. I dont know if these photos have been put up as a warning or as a threat?

#21 Parent Dragonized - 2013-10-11

...oh my God!

Iamyouandyouareme - 2013-10-11
WARNING ABOUT TEACHING CHINA!!!!

This teacher was killed in Jiangxi last month for taking a mobile phone away from his student.

The teacher had his throat cut and died before an ambulance could arrive.

Make your own judgement.....is it worth the money?

Return to Index › WARNING ABOUT TEACHING CHINA!!!!

Go to another board -