TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Excellence in propaganda in Shanghai
#1 Parent John O'Shei - 2013-10-30
Re: Excellence in propaganda in Shanghai

No, curry merely represents the days of the empire. Besides, it is not unusual for countries to adapt dishes as their own. America adapted just about everything that came from their European ancestors, Germans seem to have a strange fondness for that infamous bastardised dish of Spaghetti Ragu (Bolognese). Hell, it was a Turkish Gastarbeiter that invented the Doner Kebab in Germany.

#2 Parent Dole Dosser - 2013-10-29

I was under the impression, Curry had overtaken fish and chips now, perhaps representative (for better or worse?!) of the changing demographics of the UK.

Tikka Masala was actually created in the UK, and the balti. Then the parmo in Newcastle, the northeast. Doner Kebab shops outnumber chippies in my hometown, so much so, they even added a "british" twist to them, with things such as kebab hamburgers and sandwiches, adam or eve it or not. Personally, I don't trust the meat, but there you go. And in your hometown or northern ireland?

#3 Parent John O'Shei - 2013-10-29

Actually I'd say that fish & chips are like Marmite to foreigners, they either love them or hate them.

A lot of foreigners do go to the wrong places as I mentioned before, but some just genuinely hate the dish, each to their own.

As for W.W, I don't care what bait he used to use to lure the kiddies into his white van before he ran away to China, whether that be fish and chips or hard boiled sweets, the traditional choice of dirty old paedos like him all over Britain.

I'd dare say that certain kinds of pies better represent Britain's cuisine better than anything.

#4 Parent stompy - 2013-10-29

It's a bit strange your vendetta against fish and chips, and could it be that they are representative of the British people? I say strange because it's the one British dish that most foreigners seem to accept and enjoy as good food. When you spoke of British leaders did you mean snotty or was it snooty that you meant? No, Sir, Fish and chips is a very fine institution. I bet Woodbine Willie gets stuck into them with ravenous zeal! That cannot be bad recommendation?

Return to Index › Re: Excellence in propaganda in Shanghai

Go to another board -