TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › How can I contact schools directly without recruiters ? - ESL discussion
#1 Parent SiamSap - 2005-08-13
That's where turnover comes in - ESL discussion

If you arrive at your new employer and find it's not what you bargained for, simply bolt. I'd not compromise on a contract after it's signed and I especially wouldn't after I arrive at the school. No way will I do it.

This is why it's best to sign a contract after you arrive at your new place, not before. If you do arrive and find your new boss has pulled a fast one on you, you can forget signing the contract, give him or her the middle finger salute, and go looking somewhere else for what your lookin' for.

#2 Parent Rheno747 - 2005-08-12
I've learned to ask many questions..... - ESL discussion

Asking many questions of your employer and accepting only satisfactory answers to those questions is a great way to navigate those mine fields of lies.

Only through gaining experience in the trenches and/or exploring websites like this will you learn what the right questions are to ask or what the satisfactory answers are to those questions.

I'm finding learning the hard way is too expensive and too aggrivating. I'd rather rely on websites. It's cheaper and I get to keep my hair.

#3 Parent BD - 2005-08-11
Omission ... try lies! - ESL discussion

It's easy to point at teachers and say, "You should do your research before you leave," but that is hard to do when the Internet is full of schools posting adds for teachers that are full of lies. "Omission" nothing... most of these jokers lie! And when we arrive and start asking for the things we were told we would have -- we told to shut up and called spoiled babies.

#4 Parent Elephant - 2005-08-11
Two other things to bring on a job search journey - ESL discussion

After researching your target country and city thoroughly, pack two additional items with your documents:

1. 10-20 passport-size photos of yourself. Some schools want pics attached to employment applications, so don't forget 'em.

2. If you graduated from a TESOL program, bring your portfolio to show as well. If you have the portfolio directors can look at, they'll be more confident in your teaching abilities. A portfolio also gives schools more assurance that your certificate is the real deal and not just a fake you picked up someplace.

#5 Parent Day - 2005-08-10
Try this link - ESL discussion
#6 Parent Rheno747 - 2005-08-10
One way to bypass liars - ESL discussion

The best way to bypass recruiters is by simply flying to the country in which you want to work and hitting the pavement. Go visit the schools in person. This will give you a feel for the schools, directors, teachers, students, communities, weather, and cost of living there.

Be sure to bring many, many actual copies of your documents (degree, TESOL, transcripts in sealed envelopes), along with your CV.

Bring lots of mulla, as well. You'll have to spend time in hotels and guest houses. How much time depends on how picky you are and where you go to begin with.

Save your airline ticket receipt. Schools in some countries will reimburse you for your air fare. I think it's best to go to these countries first.

May all those liars eat your dust!

Good luck.

#7 Parent Rheno747 - 2005-08-10
The lies of omission - ESL discussion

I'm having problems with the more obscure form of lying--the lie of omission. Indeed, it'd be great
if recruiters and directors would give us TEFL grunts ALL the information we need to make an informed decision about jobs instead of forcing us to find out the hard (and often expensive) way.

I think I'll write a guidebook for TEFL teachers coming to Thailand. I could fill one easily with all the information I've had to find out on my own since I came here barely a year ago.

I'm really tired of reinventing the wheel.

ESL foreign teacher - 2005-08-08
How can I contact schools directly without recruiters ? - ESL discussion

I am fed up with all recruiters' lies and I wasted time .
Can anybody tell me how I can contact schools directly because all of the ads are from " Good "
recruiters that I know well ?
Thanks !

Return to Index › How can I contact schools directly without recruiters ? - ESL discussion

Go to another board -