TEACHERS DISCUSSION FORUM
Return to Index › Re: Update - Another Mail from CUMT, Jiangsu, China
#1 Parent coal-face - 2013-12-23
Re: Update - Another Mail from CUMT, Jiangsu, China

With the more stringent visa laws the Chinese are kicking out all sorts of foreigners- the competent and the incompetent. Added to this is the unsavory ethical practices of the schools here. I see a foreign teacher shortage now. One school that I worked at a few years ago told me"We are lookinng for another teacher" not so long ago. Now they tell me "I was a great teacher“ and want me back. It seems that the government wants to push foreigners out the door, and schools are feeling the brunt of it. I get asked every month on Nanjing whether I know foreign teachers looking for a job.

Exactly! I am working in Shanxi province, and I know for a fact that there are several foreigners teaching illegally in my neck of the woods under local 'protection' from the PSB and the local police. That shows you they will still employ foreigners illegally despite the severe fines that agents and schools will have to bear if they are caught having employed illegal teachers.

#2 Parent San Migs - 2013-12-23

With the more stringent visa laws the Chinese are kicking out all sorts of foreigners- the competent and the incompetent.

Therein lies the rub. I would not even consider coming back to China unless I had a new passport and every police clearance possible from the UK. Even then I suspect from the end of 2014 school term that will not be enough, they will simply require FTs to go home annually. I have met a few older homeless people from America and Canada in HK....those with chinese wives in China should not get complacent either, a 1 year tourist visa could soon be reduced at a whim.....
good luck!

#3 Parent juanisaac@hotmail.com - 2013-12-23

With the more stringent visa laws the Chinese are kicking out all sorts of foreigners- the competent and the incompetent. Added to this is the unsavory ethical practices of the schools here. I see a foreign teacher shortage now. One school that I worked at a few years ago told me"We are lookinng for another teacher" not so long ago. Now they tell me "I was a great teacher“ and want me back. It seems that the government wants to push foreigners out the door, and schools are feeling the brunt of it. I get asked every month on Nanjing whether I know foreign teachers looking for a job.
It reminds me of the U.S. state of Georgia that passed the toughest anti-illegal immigrant law in the state. Now it is suspended because of more crtical needs- i.e. they need agricultural workers.
I think San MIgs can be back by the start of the next fall term with all the demand I see.

Return to Index › Re: Update - Another Mail from CUMT, Jiangsu, China

Go to another board -